follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Southern California

Southern California SoCal

User Tag List

Old 05-02-2016, 04:16 PM   #29
ryoma

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
getting ref'd is just a risk you have to take if you want to mod your car. of course, if you do everything legally then you will have no problems, even if they pull you over and send you to the ref. though, of course you will have a higher chance of getting sent to the ref by CHP since they are out there to enforce vehicle-related stuff, unlike your local PD who respond to all calls for service. they would rather not waste time writing you a ticket unless that's part of their duties (traffic division, task forces, etc).

I know a few CHP officers and they don't go out of their way to find modded cars unless there is a specific station-wide notice, or if your car is just obnoxiously loud lol. they kind of profile cars too if it's heavily modded
Old 05-02-2016, 04:25 PM   #30
Pekingduck

Drives: 4 wheels
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Mine say it correctable
Old 05-02-2016, 04:39 PM   #31
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
But that's just it, it's not law enforcement's responsibility to tell you what the fix is.

The citation clearly states what VC is being violated, and a simple Google search can turn up results on how to remedy it. As a general rule, if a citation has the "Correctable Violation" box checked, it can be fixed and signed off by any peace officer. Otherwise, it must be subject to the correction method(s) outlined in the CVC or a judicial clerk won't accept it.

-alex
Never said it was their responsibility to tell him what the fix was.

I've seen the same above it's "not my responsibility to help you above my job requirements" type of behavior countless times at the DMV amongst other places. Doesn't make the world any better. When people go above their requirements out of, let's say, common human decency the world is generally a better place. Especially public servants like LEOs.

Your example of the answer being just a Google search away suggests that certainly it would have been no trouble for one of the LEOs involved in the OPs ordeal to simply have said, "yeah, running back to X place won't resolve your issue", instead of taking the approach that helping to inform someone who was trying to get compliant simply wasn't their responsibility.

In the end, it's no one's responsibility on this board to help anyone else out, yet we do. There's a reason for that.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DAEMANO For This Useful Post:
saj (05-02-2016)
Old 05-02-2016, 07:35 PM   #32
LXXXV1

Drives: 2014 FR-S Monogram, Whiteout 6MT
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PickledRage View Post
Are there any headers and high flow cat's out there that are Cali friendly? I want to put a little extra GO in my car. I do not want a super loud exhaust, and I really do not want cop hassle for mods.

Any suggestions? I am thinking Borla headers and down pipe and keeping my TRD exhaust on it.
I'm running TRD and Borla UEL. I wouldn't recommend the down pipe...I think what I have is loud. I have trouble hearing passengers when cruising highway speeds, especially with the back seats down.

And thanks @Pekingduck for sharing your story. I don't get why people are misunderstanding it as a rant/complaint...he's just sharing his story with us so we are more aware of the risk we're taking with modding in CA.

2007 Honda CBR600RR-Pearl White/Silver - Totaled
2014 Scion FR-S Monogram-Whiteout - #LXXXV1 (build)
φφκα
LXXXV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LXXXV1 For This Useful Post:
8R6 (05-03-2016), Alain (05-02-2016), DAEMANO (05-02-2016), Pekingduck (05-02-2016), PickledRage (05-02-2016)
Old 05-02-2016, 08:27 PM   #33
PickledRage

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
[QUOTE=LXXXV1;2640878]I'm running TRD and Borla UEL. I wouldn't recommend the down pipe...I think what I have is loud. I have trouble hearing passengers when cruising highway speeds, especially with the back seats down.

Would you recommend anything when it comes to a high flow cat?
PickledRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 10:27 PM   #34
Votlon

Drives: Scion FRS || Ducati 899
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Day 10 loud exhaust in the OC for me, How long till i get a ticket?!?
Votlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:28 PM   #35
ryoma

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
@PickledRage

keep in mind that the Borla UEL is illegal in CA since it removes the cat (even if you get a catted header, I don't think there is one on the market that is CARB-approved). as for the high flow cat, you will need to find one that is CARB-approved otherwise it will still be illegal.

so Cali friendly? probably nothing out there in regards to headers. as long as you're not driving like a madman, you most likely will not get any heat for aftermarket parts. however, there is always the risk out there.

your best bet for staying lowkey is to just get an aftermarket UEL header and keep the rest stock. you will have the nice rumble and it won't be too much louder than stock. and if you do get ref'd, then all you need to do is change the headers and that's it. it's a simple 30 minute job
Old 05-03-2016, 12:07 AM   #36
OzzyGT86

Drives: Ultramarine GT86
Quote:
Originally Posted by _gt86_user View Post
If you live in CA just use your best judgement and know that ANYTHING you do to your car will give them a reason to pull you over, the cops here are not a-holes at all, some people are just not very lucky in regards to modifications and law enforcement. If you think it's too loud (be reasonable) than it probably is going to get you that unwanted attention bottom line. I've been pulled over fully catless+tomei 60s and the cop said its just a tad too loud for his taste, FOR HIS TASTE, every person is different, hell you might even get a thumbs up from an officer you never know.
EXACTLY! Ive had my catless set up for about a year now and never had a problem with CHP or local PD. I got pulled over on NYE for speeding with my car still on the whole time and the CHP didn't say anything. I would have to agree with you on how it has a lot to do with LUCK.
OzzyGT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 12:10 AM   #37
OzzyGT86

Drives: Ultramarine GT86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Votlon View Post
Day 10 loud exhaust in the OC for me, How long till i get a ticket?!?
Not long from MY experience. Ive noticed OC law enforcement is a bit more strict when it comes to modified cars compared to LA.
OzzyGT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 12:39 AM   #38
FRS Johnny

Drives: 2013 FR-S Whiteout MT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Lots of times, it depends on how you drive too. Since everything is louder it makes you seem like you are going faster. Short shift and keep the rpms down around cops. I've had cops behind me and next to me at lights and while on the streets. Pick the areas you go to wisely. Avoid Irvine during the day if you are modded..
Old 05-03-2016, 01:04 AM   #39
jcX4ever
X-Lurker

Drives: 2zz MRS
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I don't really understand why people want to put loud exhaust. There's an exact science of this and loudness doesn't always mean more power. Please learn the basic words like pulsing, scavenging, choke points, and back pressure. After than proceed to the advance level and learn how to calculate the best pipe diameter, pipe length, etc... basing from your cylinder bore size and stroke, compression ratio, etc , including additional mods like superchargers and what not. Tuning is not just adjusting an aftermarket ECU but tuning is also as simple as putting the right pipes..etc

When you apply the science of it, you are a tuner... otherwise, you're just a ricer.

Last edited by jcX4ever; 05-03-2016 at 01:25 AM.
jcX4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 01:13 AM   #40
Votlon

Drives: Scion FRS || Ducati 899
It's an ego thing, a loud exhaust + a long tunnel = best moments of car life
Votlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 02:03 AM   #41
saj

Drives: FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcX4ever View Post
I don't really understand why people want to put loud exhaust. There's an exact science of this and loudness doesn't always mean more power. Please learn the basic words like pulsing, scavenging, choke points, and back pressure. After than proceed to the advance level and learn how to calculate the best pipe diameter, pipe length, etc... basing from your cylinder bore size and stroke, compression ratio, etc , including additional mods like superchargers and what not. Tuning is not just adjusting an aftermarket ECU but tuning is also as simple as putting the right pipes..etc

When you apply the science of it, you are a tuner... otherwise, you're just a ricer.
Not everyone wants to just be loud for the sake of it, increased noise is just a byproduct for some builds. A full catless Tomei, header to catback is a great example. You save weight with some thinner titanium pieces and gain performance with increased flow but as a result it will be pretty damned loud.

If manufacturers could make a system that was lighter, increased performance, sounded good, had no drone, was carb legal, etc. you'd have the holy grail. You have to compromise somewhere.
saj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 04:18 AM   #42
Carlitoz3

Drives: 2013 MT Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Thanks for the heads up
Carlitoz3 is offline   Reply With Quote