follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 04-29-2012, 08:18 PM   #29
csaba

Drives: scion tc
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
[QUOTE=luxmn;195117]calling the FRS small and backseat is a joke is like saying the RangeRover is a wasteful 4 seater. Different car with different intention, the FRS is all about the driver, if you didn't feel comfortable seating in the car while driving then that's a problem, if you're worrying about the backseats then buy a sport sedan.

you said it urself, the good note of engine, tight turn, no body roll, AND you had fun. for a 25k car im not sure what else you can demand. IMHO the TC is a "sporty car" but nowhere near a sport car, I wont even bother comparing it to the FRS.[/QUOT

Well said!!. The OP. Says the frs has hard plastic. Wrong!! The dash is much better quality than my 05 TC. Dash. there is some hard plastic here and there but that's normal . I could not ask for more. I'm fine with the heat controls....
csaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:42 PM   #30
ft86Fan

Drives: FR-S, Exige S, Miata
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
The OP is welcome to have his opinion of course but I find it strange like others here that you hated the interior so much. I've sat in a FRS at the auto show and I personally like the interior a lot. I find the seat material looks kind of cheap but everything else is fine. The dash is not hard plastic. It felt soft to the touch.

Like others have said, the back seat is nice to have if for nothing else, it'll lower the insurance rate. Its also a huge selling point for me because I can fold the rear seat and transport racing tires to the track. I actually sold my S2000 CR because of the lack of rear seat and the fact that I need to install roll bar for the track.
ft86Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ft86Fan For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (04-29-2012)
Old 04-29-2012, 09:15 PM   #31
csaba

Drives: scion tc
Quote:
Originally Posted by ft86Fan View Post
The OP is welcome to have his opinion of course but I find it strange like others here that you hated the interior so much. I've sat in a FRS at the auto show and I personally like the interior a lot. I find the seat material looks kind of cheap but everything else is fine. The dash is not hard plastic. It felt soft to the touch.

Like others have said, the back seat is nice to have if for nothing else, it'll lower the insurance rate. Its also a huge selling point for me because I can fold the rear seat and transport racing tires to the track. I actually sold my S2000 CR because of the lack of rear seat and the fact that I need to install roll bar for the track.
I sat in the car as well and I got excited, had a smile on my face because i was so impresed the car is built around you as already other people said . I was telling my self I need to have this car... I'm 5`10"

If they would have make this car a 4 seater. That would add weight and compromise handeling .....the least to say
Anyhow everybody has a opinion
csaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:02 PM   #32
Grateful Dave
2nd 86 member

Drives: 2013 Asphalt AT FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquesteered View Post
This is the first time I've heard of the car being cramped in the front seat too. This worries me... I am a litttle under 6ft but I am a very big guy width wise. Will I fit? I was lead to believe there is a decent amout of room in the front. So whats the truth of it? I want one of these cars but if its that small I may have to rethink buying one. Wasn't there a post(Titusdrake I think) where he said he was 6'5 and 330lbs and he fit and was comfortable? So confused. Can somebody else who is big and sat in it chime in please?
I sat in the driver's seat, when the car was at Arcadia hosted by Edmund's Insideline. I'm 5'9" 200lbs with broad shoulders and big arms and I felt fine. I wear a 48 sport coat and 34" waist. I fitted in the seat like a glove. Enough shoulder room. I saw a guy who is 6"4" average build sit in the car. He had the seat all the way back and down. He had enough leg, shoulder and head room. His legs didn't even hit the steering wheel when shifting.
I was worried like you because I sat in a RX8 and I couldn't fit in the seat at all. The bolsters stopped my shoulders and my back was unable to touch the backrest.
I also could get in out of the car no problem. It's a wide door with plenty of room to swing your legs out. Yes you are lower to the ground but get used to it. It will be worth it in the long run. You will just have to see for yourself.
It is a no frill basic interior for sure but in is the same vein as the old classic sports car styling. If you want a fancy interior with this car's driving capabilities go buy a Cayman at $50,000. The BRZ interior will be a little nicer but it has it's flaws. I still prefer the FRS/86 front end better. The BRZ looks too much like a Mazda or Hyundai.
Hopefully this helps.
Grateful Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grateful Dave For This Useful Post:
bestwheelbase (04-29-2012), Dadhawk (04-29-2012)
Old 04-29-2012, 10:03 PM   #33
Steve

Drives: 6MT
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Many compact coupes have last resort back seats, such as my 7th generation Celica and the Tiburon I once owned. This concept is nothing new and i'm glad its still being used. I'm 6'1 and prefer compact cars, but I wanted back seats for emergencies but but more importantly enough leg room up front. Therefore this coupe 2+2 format is why I bought the Celica. It's also a great additional storage area so you don't have to go back to the trunk.

On a lighter note, remember your not the one in the back all squished. You are the one showing off the cars sliding and cornering capabilities to your unfortunate, soon to be lumpy headed passengers. I bet those back seats aren't quite as supportive
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve For This Useful Post:
keiri (04-30-2012)
Old 04-30-2012, 04:12 PM   #34
keiri
Toyobaru Wonder Twins™

Drives: 2020 Subaru BRZ Limited w/ PP
Garage
I'm a smallish guy (5'7"/145lbs on a good day) and I had no real problem feeling squished or cramped in the cabin of the FR-S when I drove it Saturday - it felt very supportive and comfortable. One of the things I loved most about the FR-S is how it feels like a modern Celica is terms of the ****pit layout and interior space - the backseats aren't much more than an incentive not to give rides AND they make excellent storage space for equipment, parts, and various items.
keiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:51 PM   #35
Pekingduck

Drives: 4 wheels
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I want to see the pictures of the other car with all the decals
Pekingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:30 PM   #36
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmfossett View Post
I knew the forum would be full of a bunch of kill the messangers, I wanted to buy this car,,,wanted to like it ,,,,but before you go throwing too many stones, have you sat in one, have you driven an FRS, on a track, well I have
Hey, thanks for taking the time to put up the detailed review. It's always good to hear different opinions and not everyone is going to like this car. I'm attending a first-drive event in a couple of days. Hopefully I'll come away liking the car more than you did

Quote:
Originally Posted by keiri View Post
One of the things I loved most about the FR-S is how it feels like a modern Celica is terms of the ****pit layout and interior space
With its additional width, I'm hoping the FR-S/BRZ will feel a bit more spacious laterally than the Celica. I remember sitting in a 2001 Celica with another passenger. It felt like we were sitting shoulder to shoulder. A bit small for my taste.
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:50 PM   #37
gmfossett

Drives: 2011 TC2
Im not much for arguing on forums so I wont. I merely posted my opinion but an educated one to say the least. I also posted pictures from both, the interior of an FRS a TC2. The FRS does have slightly less plastic than a TC2. Both are sub par. Im not a mocking bird so I have to see things for myself and make my own decisions, that being said, SCION boast how they cut price out by not having much inside and also cut weight. If you look on the BRZ website and see what 500 more dollars and a mere 20 lbs or so then you can see that Suburu isnt cutting corners or making more money than Scion. The Limited version has a zillion more options than the Scion and for all that have bought a Scion before you will remember that any one of them would be a grand or more. Just a simple upgraded radio will run almost that much. I hadnt looked at Suburu till yesterday but the interior does look nicer, again, Id have to see it to believe it, after all we are dealing with car dealers and car manufactures,,,they dont lie or bend the truth do they,,,nah haha. I will post my videos on youtube with a link on this site, my 6 02 friend is getting inside one, he fit, its possible! But his exact words were he felt like a circus clown when inside, getting in and out were not what he would want, to each his own though. One poster mentioned not wanting to be shoulder to shoulder. My second lap I had a friend ride with me. She was shorter than I am and said she was comfortable, I dont remember feeling shoulder to shoulder either but my daily car is a TC so even the TC may be more cramped than some ppls taste. I also mentioned I did not have a ton of time to adjust the seats perfect but I did get real close. The seats sit on the floor, Im used to this but others may not like that. The only advice I would give to anyone is wait till this car hits the dealer, test it out with an open mind, not all teenager hyped up and have to have it or you may end up with a car you cant wait to get rid of. Speaking of the dealers, the girl who rode with me is married to the manager of one of the local Toyota dealers, he was kinda put out with the fact that they knew nothing, so he and a few other dealers did some investigating. They will get one FRS,,,only one around June, they will not be able to sell it, only take orders until more arrive. This goes along with what I was told on Saturday, the Scion guy said that in June they would arrive but depending on the region they may only be able to take orders. One question I have which nobody has been able to answer, the auto gets about 4-5 mpg better than the stick, both are 6 speeds so obviously different gearing,,or maybe not, that would suggest the auto has lower high speed rpms or maybe a different fuel system,,,IDK, im asking, it would make sense for the stick to be faster for many reasons just like the TC, small diff but faster none the less, but both have the same mpg,,,any ideas
gmfossett is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gmfossett For This Useful Post:
bestwheelbase (04-30-2012)
Old 04-30-2012, 09:20 PM   #38
speedrye

Drives: 2007 FJ 6MT & 2013 FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekingduck View Post
I want to see the pictures of the other car with all the decals
Which other car? Black, red, white or orange?
speedrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:10 PM   #39
bestwheelbase

Drives: 1985 P-Type
Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,098 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
One question I have which nobody has been able to answer, the auto gets about 4-5 mpg better than the stick, both are 6 speeds so obviously different gearing,,or maybe not, that would suggest the auto has lower high speed rpms or maybe a different fuel system,,,IDK, im asking, it would make sense for the stick to be faster for many reasons just like the TC, small diff but faster none the less, but both have the same mpg,,,any ideas

gmfossett, First off -- thank you for posting your honest feedback about the car. While it's fun to get excited about something shiny and new, the reality for a lot of us is that we want a car we can live with every day; interior size/space/accommodations are real concerns. Your no-bullshit opinion is much appreciated. It serves as a reminder that we can read all the magazine articles in the world but, for some of us, nothing can replace getting in the car and feeling it out.

Second, to answer your question about fuel economy differences between the automatic and manual gearboxes, refer to the drivetrain chart in this thread. You'll see that the automatic is a double-overdrive setup with a taller 6th gear. This is where it realizes better fuel economy particularly on highway cycle.
bestwheelbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:21 PM   #40
ngabdala
Vortech Supercharged

Drives: WRB BRZ 6MT LTD
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquesteered View Post
This is the first time I've heard of the car being cramped in the front seat too. This worries me... I am a litttle under 6ft but I am a very big guy width wise. Will I fit? I was lead to believe there is a decent amout of room in the front. So whats the truth of it? I want one of these cars but if its that small I may have to rethink buying one. Wasn't there a post(Titusdrake I think) where he said he was 6'5 and 330lbs and he fit and was comfortable? So confused. Can somebody else who is big and sat in it chime in please?
I'm 6'2" very broad and built. Long legs. There is more than enough room for me and taller than me. Dude you have no worries at all.
ngabdala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:55 PM   #41
Steve

Drives: 6MT
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
My TC does not have the upgraded suspension and my guess would be they were be almost identical if it did
Quote:
I merely posted my opinion but an educated one to say the least.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:10 AM   #42
ngabdala
Vortech Supercharged

Drives: WRB BRZ 6MT LTD
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
ngabdala is offline   Reply With Quote