follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 05-08-2013, 11:47 PM   #15
TRD-X

Drives: Da-Big Banana
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mswhong View Post
does this only apply in the US?
Yes this is only U.S. Federal Warranty Law.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:35 AM   #16
forzajuve
Banned

Drives: Ultramarine 86 - 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
That is ironic. Read above - thanks.

Last edited by forzajuve; 05-09-2013 at 12:48 AM.
forzajuve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:26 AM   #17
chadstyle

Drives: 2013 Subaru BR-Z Limited
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by forzajuve View Post
It may be a dumb question but is it possible to ask a (my) dealership to tune the car so it idles higher than 650 RPM? I don't even know how to propose the question, so that was my best shot. Thanks in advance.
They can bump it up... My idle would dip down to 450-500 on occasion and nearly stall but I had @FA20Club.com raise it up to 900 and it purrs so smooth. I'm curious if 800 would be better but for now I'm happier to have 900 than 650-700 with a dip that almost stalls. Motor mounts are next on my list when I install my oil cooler so I would've had to raise the idle at that point anyways.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:17 AM   #18
Yamajee

Drives: Rocket Bunny'd GT86
Some dealers like the ones we have here in Dubai are ridiculous and nearly any small mod to the car might void the warranty and take away the warranty away from the car so it's quite acceptable that they ask these questions because let's take the shift knob for an example. Believe it or not the dealers here can conclude that a transmission/clutch problem has occured because of the shift knob being changed! yes that's how lame it is in here.
Yamajee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:13 AM   #19
Chimpo

Drives: '15 STi Ltd
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamajee View Post
Some dealers like the ones we have here in Dubai are ridiculous and nearly any small mod to the car might void the warranty and take away the warranty away from the car so it's quite acceptable that they ask these questions because let's take the shift knob for an example. Believe it or not the dealers here can conclude that a transmission/clutch problem has occured because of the shift knob being changed! yes that's how lame it is in here.
That sucks.
Chimpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:02 PM   #20
dsgerbc

Drives: BRZ(sold), STI
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Magnuson-Moss does not apply to replacement parts that are not OEM-spec. No matter how many times sellers of aftermarket performance parts say that it does.

It's intent and purpose is to allow independent production and sales of aftermarket replacement service parts that are OEM-spec, namely oil filters, windshield wipers, brake pads and rotors etc.

If an aftermarket oil filter that complies with OEM specifications causes your engine to blow - only then the manufacturer has to prove something before denying a claim. If your non-OEM intake causes detonation and kaboom, the dealer doesn't have to prove a thing beyond the fact that the intake is not up to OEM specs.

Where it gets murky - when the modification makes some well-known OEM flaw show up sooner. In that case you're morel likely to succeed in pushing the manufacturer to eat the repair no matter what mods you had.

Here's a read on the subject from the other side.
dsgerbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:21 PM   #21
Yamajee

Drives: Rocket Bunny'd GT86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpo View Post
That sucks.
Exactly my friend. I recall having an FJ Cruiser with a lift kit, broke a wheel hub and they supposedly blamed the shocks! even though it was still on stock wheels and tires.
Yamajee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamajee For This Useful Post:
charged86 (05-12-2013)
Old 05-09-2013, 05:35 PM   #22
SuiSid3l

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout White
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsgerbc View Post
Magnuson-Moss does not apply to replacement parts that are not OEM-spec. No matter how many times sellers of aftermarket performance parts say that it does.

It's intent and purpose is to allow independent production and sales of aftermarket replacement service parts that are OEM-spec, namely oil filters, windshield wipers, brake pads and rotors etc.

If an aftermarket oil filter that complies with OEM specifications causes your engine to blow - only then the manufacturer has to prove something before denying a claim. If your non-OEM intake causes detonation and kaboom, the dealer doesn't have to prove a thing beyond the fact that the intake is not up to OEM specs.

Where it gets murky - when the modification makes some well-known OEM flaw show up sooner. In that case you're morel likely to succeed in pushing the manufacturer to eat the repair no matter what mods you had.

The argument in the article is a somewhat different arguement altogether IMO. Of course if I start pumping 15lbs of boost through my stock motor and it blows im not expecting them to replace it. MY worry is I put an aftermarket suspension on the car a few bolt ons and lets say the AC starts acting strange. They shouldn't be able to deny my warranty unless they can prove my alterations caused the issue. Thats where the Mag supposedly gives us some wiggle room.

By the time I start pulling the motor out to build the bottom end, I'm not worried about 90 percent of the cars warranty after that since half the car will be aftermarket parts.

Just gotta hunt down a dealer willing to work with ya.
SuiSid3l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:52 AM   #23
BlaineWasHere
Grip>Drift

Drives: FRS
Thanked 1,749 Times in 918 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
The funny thing about the Magnuson-Moss act is dealers and manufactures don't give a shit about it. There is not much legal recourse you have.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:41 PM   #24
TAP Auto Parts
Banned

If you put aftermarket suspension on the car, and the AC stops working, they have to prove the aftermarket suspension caused something the AC to fail. Period. They cant deny the claim, if they do, Im sure youd have a lot of lawyers lining up to help you wn that battle.

Just be smart with your car, if you are going in for warranty work, take off the questionable parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsgerbc View Post

Interesting part here

Quote:
This TSB isn’t really different from other statements issued to dealers on previous performance versions of the Mustang, or other models (PowerStroke diesels, for instance) — to be aware of aftermarket modifications that may have adversely affected the reliability of the system they’re being asked to warranty. A K&N filter element in the stock airbox or the Ford Racing cold-air kit (that’s standard on Boss and GT500 models)? No problem. PowerDyne blower? Problem, even though it’s “just a mod to the air intake”.

the fact that toyota sells TRD intakes, exhaust and suspension - those items should be okay. Turbo kit, no way.
TAP Auto Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:43 PM   #25
dsgerbc

Drives: BRZ(sold), STI
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAP Auto Parts View Post
If you put aftermarket suspension on the car, and the AC stops working, they have to prove the aftermarket suspension caused something the AC to fail. Period. They cant deny the claim, if they do, Im sure youd have a lot of lawyers lining up to help you wn that battle.
Depends on aftermarket suspension. If you go super-stiff, with almost zero suspension travel, a lot thing could justifiably fail from a ton more NVH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAP Auto Parts View Post
Just be smart with your car, if you are going in for warranty work, take off the questionable parts.
That counts as fraud in my book.
dsgerbc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dsgerbc For This Useful Post:
TAP Auto Parts (05-14-2013)
Old 05-14-2013, 05:03 PM   #26
TAP Auto Parts
Banned

If you purposely try to receive warranty work on an item youve damaged with an aftermarket part, that is 100% fraud, I agree.

If you are worried that a dealer will void your warranty when you take a car in for service because you have an item like an intake, or exhaust, I dont see a problem with removing it and putting the OE piece back on.
TAP Auto Parts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trd-x, warranty