follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 08:55 AM   #6105
Nightbringer

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjohnx View Post
It replaced the MPG gauge with AFR readout, however it only updated at the same rate as the MPG gauge did (once every 1-2 secs or so), so it wasn't terribly useful IMO.
Too bad there isn't a way to up the polling/sample rate on that to refresh faster. I'd totally sacrifice my gas gauge for that.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:57 AM   #6106
Visconti
Banned

Drives: 05 STi
Thanked 3,188 Times in 1,197 Posts
Mentioned: 375 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Visconti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightbringer View Post
Too bad there isn't a way to up the polling/sample rate on that to refresh faster. I'd totally sacrifice my gas gauge for that.
Yeah , to make it work there was some cleaver math done and tricking some things.. Oh well
Old 08-23-2013, 08:58 AM   #6107
chadstyle

Drives: 2013 Subaru BR-Z Limited
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
It replaced the MPG gauge with AFR readout, however it only updated at the same rate as the MPG gauge did (once every 1-2 secs or so), so it wasn't terribly useful IMO.
Well that sums it up then..didn't miss out on much I guess. Thanks for the fast reply!!

I only recently turned on the gear indicator in the dash (not ecutek related) and its a nice feature in general but the little "^^" that tells you when to upshift is ridiculous. I tried shifting when it tells me to..it resulted in 2,000 RPM shifts and being in 6th gear at 40MPH.

Any other hidden Easter eggs we haven't mentioned?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Old 08-23-2013, 09:03 AM   #6108
Nightbringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadstyle View Post
Any other hidden Easter eggs we haven't mentioned?
0-60 and 1/4 times in the same MPG spot. I think that was a while ago tho.

Thought it was neat, but I didn't really care about the upload progress on the tach thing---until it got me "ooooh"ed by a WRX chick last night at the E85 station. Moral of the story: gimmicks get you laid.

Last edited by Nightbringer; 08-23-2013 at 09:17 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nightbringer For This Useful Post:
chadstyle (08-23-2013)
Old 08-23-2013, 09:30 AM   #6109
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
gimmicks get you laid.
did they?
Old 08-23-2013, 09:31 AM   #6110
Visconti
Banned

Quote:
0-60 and 1/4 times in the same MPG spot. I think that was a while ago tho.

Thought it was neat, but I didn't really care about the upload progress on the tach thing---until it got me "ooooh"ed by a WRX chick last night at the E85 station. Moral of the story: gimmicks get you laid.
Yeah that was a clever idea for sure ! Super useful when your letting a car flash and reviewing the Dyno sheet outside the car.. Just peak on the window to monitor the flash progress

John
The Following User Says Thank You to Visconti For This Useful Post:
Nightbringer (08-23-2013)
Old 08-23-2013, 09:36 AM   #6111
Nightbringer

Quote:
did they?
No. No they didn't. /sob

They got me a conversation though. She wasn't buying any of my 'Because Racecar' sweet talk. Very sad. When EcuTEK releases an update that 'seals the deal' for me too, I'll be a happy customer.

On topic: it was mentioned in the other EcuTEK thread, but any possibility of getting the knock alarm/blinker like the GT-R guys?

Last edited by Nightbringer; 08-23-2013 at 10:20 AM.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:23 AM   #6112
Ryan86
Road Warrior

Drives: Toyota 86 Satin Pearl White
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
@Visconti, why we only got Launch Control on map 2 or is it only me?
Would LC and flat foot shifting not work together?
Old 08-23-2013, 10:57 AM   #6113
Visconti
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadstyle View Post
Not to thread jack further but...

Yes, I agree. I always double clutch my downshifts. Something I picked up young. When racing shifter karts and dirt bikes they use a constant mesh trans and sequential shift only so I would blip on downshifts to keep it smooth. I've found when I'm hard on the brakes in the BRZ that my feet (size 13) are too big to heel/toe efficiently so I've been interested in the auto blip feature. Apparently, triggering the sequence when not intending to can be a scary experience. From what I understand, and John can correct me if I'm wrong, that you need cut throttle and immediately brake while pressing in clutch to initiate the sequence. In a perfect world that sounds fine but I've heard of people panicking in emergency situation and stabbing both clutch and brake to the floor momentarily and then releasing the clutch in time for the car to lunge forward. I can see how that would be scary in traffic.

My curiosity still has the better of me so I'm going to load it on one map only and see if I can learn how to use it efficiently or decide that it's impossible and ditch the feature.

I'm surprised there aren't more threads about auto blip RR feature and people's experience using it.
This isn't a thread jack..

Although it should, throttle position doesn't effect autoblip working or not.

For autoblip to work:

1. Must be above speed threshold (my tunes are 40MPH)
2. Must be above RPM Threshold (default is 2900RPM)
3. Must Engage the clutch while braking

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan86 View Post
@Visconti, why we only got Launch Control on map 2 or is it only me?
Would LC and flat foot shifting not work together?
Make a ticket

Quote:
No. No they didn't. /sob

They got me a conversation though. She wasn't buying any of my 'Because Racecar' sweet talk. Very sad. When EcuTEK releases an update that 'seals the deal' for me too, I'll be a happy customer.

On topic: it was mentioned in the other EcuTEK thread, but any possibility of getting the knock alarm/blinker like the GT-R guys?
It's on the list of things to do.. if i had to take a guess it won't happen for a while

John
The Following User Says Thank You to Visconti For This Useful Post:
chadstyle (08-23-2013)
Old 08-23-2013, 08:46 PM   #6114
JimmyMac

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2016 Miata Club
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
What I find with auto blip is that it'll basically work down to 2nd gear. Seems like 3000rpms is the threshold on my car. Once I figured it out, I learned to use it. However, the blip seemed inconsistent. Sometimes blip too high, sometimes too low.

Question on the tune (stage 2 here), is it normal for the engine to sound like its starting to gurgle when you get very close to redline (when you are getting on it)?
Old 08-27-2013, 02:56 PM   #6115
rx3

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I was thinking about installing aftermarket seats. Unfortunately the passenger seat has a sensor which apparently cannot be fooled/bypassed easily (not with a resistor anyway). http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15425

ProECU apparently contains a tool to clear DTCs on the Occupant Detection System (ODS) module: http://www.ecutek.com/news/newslette...ewsletter.html
Does anybody know whether the ODS sensor could therefore be disabled with an adapted tune?
And if so may John offer this option?
Old 08-27-2013, 05:21 PM   #6116
Laika
When In Doubt...

Drives: Slowww
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Possibly helpful comment below:

I had an issue with my visconti tune where after driving the car for 1-2 miles, it would struggle to crank back up (so it struggled with luke-warm starts). Visconti said it had nothing to do with the tune. It wasn't a big deal and I figured it was the crank position sensor issue as addressed in a TSB.

I've since switched to a new tuner and have not experienced this in about two weeks. I used to see it every time I put the car through the aforementioned circumstances.

Just posting in case it helps anyone else out. Not shitting on anybody here, for all I know it's just a fluke that it hasn't happened on my new tune.

Join the Galaxy Blue Silica BRZ registry below:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...2c&usp=sharing
The Following User Says Thank You to Laika For This Useful Post:
Sportsguy83 (08-27-2013)
Old 08-27-2013, 07:18 PM   #6117
Carwhisperer

Drives: A lot of supercars.
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laika View Post
Possibly helpful comment below:

I had an issue with my visconti tune where after driving the car for 1-2 miles, it would struggle to crank back up (so it struggled with luke-warm starts). Visconti said it had nothing to do with the tune. It wasn't a big deal and I figured it was the crank position sensor issue as addressed in a TSB.

I've since switched to a new tuner and have not experienced this in about two weeks. I used to see it every time I put the car through the aforementioned circumstances.

Just posting in case it helps anyone else out. Not shitting on anybody here, for all I know it's just a fluke that it hasn't happened on my new tune.
my cams wont flip on his latest tune with a revised map. It takes the engine to warm up then multiple restarts for them to finally kick on. Stock it feels like its turbod compared to his tune. And im tired of the closing of the tickets when my other issues are not resolved. About done with this guy.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:28 PM   #6118
cuddefred

Drives: Black 86 GT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I know it seems fashionable to beat up Visconti at the moment and I haven't been his biggest fan at times due to his slow replies and perceived attitude but I love the latest tune and can't fault it at all. I flashed back to stock and hated the way the car felt when I did it - the difference between stock and his tune is like night and day for me. Just trying to keep things in balance.
The Following User Says Thank You to cuddefred For This Useful Post:
SkAsphalt (08-28-2013)

Closed Thread