follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 03-30-2016, 09:37 PM   #309
x1UP
One & Done (AOZORA)

Drives: '15 Series.Blue BRZ (WRB)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Should I be worried or checking on anything for a set of used Ohlins that I bought from a member here? 15K miles, has never seen any inclement weather (including rain!). Claims that there was a few track days and has babied his car, which I definitely believe from the way he presented himself.

Any advice is appreciated!
Old 03-30-2016, 09:51 PM   #310
DocWalt

Drives: '22 BRZ
Thanked 1,472 Times in 767 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I too read this thread thoroughly, as well as all the rest. Everyone's reviews and setup info has been very helpful, it's much appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by x1UP View Post
Should I be worried or checking on anything for a set of used Ohlins that I bought from a member here? 15K miles, has never seen any inclement weather (including rain!). Claims that there was a few track days and has babied his car, which I definitely believe from the way he presented himself.

Any advice is appreciated!
Make sure everything is torqued (mounting hardware and such), check for any obvious leaks (note that they're assembled with some assembly lube so my shafts got "wet" looking brand new), check the stroke of the damper is smooth and respond appropriately to the damping adjustment knob, and I'd check that they're set back to Ohlins' recommended setup regarding preload and such as springs settle and you may want a different height setting.

It's not tremendously expensive to get them rebuilt or revalved by Ohlins USA and we have MUCH better support here in the US than a lot of countries, from the sounds of it. I know a few other friends with Ohlins and they've had amazing support if they had issues, which were user error or general old age (5+ year old race dampers, lol)
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 10:00 PM   #311
x1UP
One & Done (AOZORA)

Drives: '15 Series.Blue BRZ (WRB)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
I too read this thread thoroughly, as well as all the rest. Everyone's reviews and setup info has been very helpful, it's much appreciated!

Make sure everything is torqued (mounting hardware and such), check for any obvious leaks (note that they're assembled with some assembly lube so my shafts got "wet" looking brand new), check the stroke of the damper is smooth and respond appropriately to the damping adjustment knob, and I'd check that they're set back to Ohlins' recommended setup regarding preload and such as springs settle and you may want a different height setting.

It's not tremendously expensive to get them rebuilt or revalved by Ohlins USA and we have MUCH better support here in the US than a lot of countries, from the sounds of it. I know a few other friends with Ohlins and they've had amazing support if they had issues, which were user error or general old age (5+ year old race dampers, lol)
Thanks for this. I'm having my performance shop inspect it when it gets there and that should be reassuring. I just want to make sure that before I take off my OEM suspension, putting these used Ohlins won't make me go crazy. I have high praise for Ohlins after reading this thread and i've been talking to Jake from Ohlins USA about it.

The member is sending everything (I mean everything) when he first bought it. Including instructions and what not.

Anything else that I should be looking at / be worried about?
Old 03-30-2016, 10:11 PM   #312
DocWalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by x1UP View Post
Thanks for this. I'm having my performance shop inspect it when it gets there and that should be reassuring. I just want to make sure that before I take off my OEM suspension, putting these used Ohlins won't make me go crazy. I have high praise for Ohlins after reading this thread and i've been talking to Jake from Ohlins USA about it.

The member is sending everything (I mean everything) when he first bought it. Including instructions and what not.

Anything else that I should be looking at / be worried about?
Make sure the threads are clean before spinning any of the collars. Otherwise, no, not really. I haven't had mine for an extended period like some other folks here, but I've had and/or been around coilovers for most of my car life. They're no different from any other shocks when you get right down to it.
Old 04-02-2016, 04:00 PM   #313
DevArenaCN

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I was wondering if anyone experience the M12 nut come lose( the one on the top of the front coilover above the plate) Mine came lose the second time and I'm thinking if I need locktite for it.
DevArenaCN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 04:34 PM   #314
DocWalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevArenaCN View Post
I was wondering if anyone experience the M12 nut come lose( the one on the top of the front coilover above the plate) Mine came lose the second time and I'm thinking if I need locktite for it.
If mine comes loose it'll be getting loctite.
The Following User Says Thank You to DocWalt For This Useful Post:
ajc209 (04-02-2016)
Old 04-02-2016, 04:39 PM   #315
ajc209

Drives: GT86 Cosworth
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Ditto.
ajc209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 08:37 PM   #316
DevArenaCN

Drives: Scion FR-S
Quote:
After two HPDE it does not seem to come lose anymore. Not sure why but as long as it does not happen again I'm good. I'm going to use locktite when it comes lose again.
DevArenaCN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DevArenaCN For This Useful Post:
DocWalt (04-17-2016)
Old 04-17-2016, 09:12 PM   #317
DocWalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevArenaCN View Post
After two HPDE it does not seem to come lose anymore. Not sure why but as long as it does not happen again I'm good. I'm going to use locktite when it comes lose again.
I've got 5 autocross events and a few thousand miles of street driving. No issues so far Hoping for no issues at the HPDE next month.
Old 04-26-2016, 08:51 AM   #318
ballsdeep

Drives: Ocho-Seis

Did any one else run into issues with endlinks hitting Ohlins coilovers? I bent my new Whiteline end links already...
ballsdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 09:24 AM   #319
DocWalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballsdeep View Post

Did any one else run into issues with endlinks hitting Ohlins coilovers? I bent my new Whiteline end links already...
You need to use the 10mm spacer that Ohlins includes with the coilovers or that exact problem happens. You can't see the spacer here, but you can also see how close it is to the coilover even with the spacer installed. Oh, and the washer goes on the link side of the swaybar, not the nut side.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DocWalt For This Useful Post:
tato.valverde (04-26-2016), TofuJoe (01-10-2017)
Old 04-26-2016, 11:29 PM   #320
ballsdeep

Drives: Ocho-Seis
Thanks Doc!
ballsdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 08:42 AM   #321
DocWalt

Quote:
Thanks Doc!
Thanks go to @mav1178 (see here: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...&postcount=239) cause I would have done exactly the same thing.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:44 PM   #322
Efferalgan

Drives: Toyota GT 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

I managed to mate the 20mm adjustable Whiteline sway bar and endlinks with Ohlins only using the 2nd (firmer) hole. Used the spacer and couple of washers but still the clearance is minimal. Tomorrow will try replace the endlinks with Hotchkis ones which are much thinner. Already clear that I'll have to shorten the Hotchkis endlings by at least 3 cm to make it happen... Ohlins have very unique design, nothing like any other coilover for this car which makes putting together various tuning parts a head ache
Efferalgan is offline   Reply With Quote