follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-04-2013, 11:14 PM   #1
tennisfreak

Drives: 2018 BMW M240i
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Road and Track: Tune + headers + axleback added to long term BRZ

This was published by road and track today: http://www.roadandtrack.com/features...ss-performance

Article talks about how car lost its charm and no one wanted to drive it anymore so they decided to add some exhaust and performance enhancements to make it more fun.

They added an nameless axleback, nameless prototype headers, and a tune.
They loved the quality, finish, and support of the nameless products.
After the axleback they loved the sound of the exhaust.
After the header and tune they said the car was really loud and launched rough.

As for performance gains they said after everything the dyno only registered +6hp and +2 torque. They said gains below 4k rpm were a wash but after that were good.

The article did admit that the tune was not able to be tweaked due to time constraints.

Honestly I was a little shocked to see the gains not even be 10hp even though it was not a final tune.

What do yall think?

Quote:
SOURCE: http://www.roadandtrack.com/features...ss-performance

Our adventures in tuning our long-term Subaru BRZ

We try exhaust mods and an ECU flash, with mixed results.

By Alex Kierstein October 4, 2013 / Photos by Lee Warner

The Subaru BRZ was an exciting addition to our long-term fleet, at least at first. It turns out that there's a great reason to have long-term cars: over time, our opinions about the BRZ changed a lot. I'll admit that I was starry-eyed when it showed up, as it ticks a lot of the boxes of my ideal car on paper. Over time, we all found out that the BRZ has some flaws in daily use.

In addition, Senior Editor Jason Cammisa was intrigued by a stock dyno run that showed a serious dip in mid-range torque at around 3700 rpm. Could we cure this strange lack of punch by throwing some parts at the car?
After a period where the BRZ was in the doghouse, we decided to try and reignite our passion for the coupe with a tune and some free-flowing exhaust courtesy of Nameless Performance.

Name:  brzexterior1-sm.jpg
Views: 4942
Size:  70.9 KB

Mixed Feelings

Many folks in the office seemed to have made up their minds: off the track, the BRZ wasn't for them. The noncompliant ride that gave it that wonderfully neutral on-track feel was downright punishing on Michigan roads. Not all roads are as rough as the ones around our office, but that's where we are, and as often as I tried to ignore the bucking and banging, it wore me down.

That's why, on a day-to-day basis, the keys to this highly anticipated rear-driver remained on the car board's peg. When a lapping day appeared in our calendars, it took something pretty flashy to distract us from the BRZ's track antics. But when it was a Costco run with some freeway stop-and-go on frost-heaved surface streets, it didn't leave the lot.

The BRZ is too good to let sit. What could we do to fall back in love with the Toyobaru?

Sounds Good to Me

The question was simple: Would a better-sounding exhaust make a difference in how often the BRZ was driven on a day-to-day basis?

Frankly, no one liked the way the thing sounded. One editor summed it up by saying, "It sounds good on a redline upshift and that's it-everywhere else, it's rough and crude."

The first thing we actually changed on the car was pulling off the little intake resonance tube that pipes in some strange, nasty, artificial sounds from under the hood. You might be surprised to learn that if you make engine noises into the tube, it actually sounds a bit better. Silly. See the video proof.

Since the BRZ is the sort of car the aftermarket wistfully sighs at the mention of, there are loads of aftermarket parts that bolt up. Would new exhaust make a difference? We contacted Nameless Performance, and they gladly whipped up an axleback system.

After bolting it on, we fired the engine up and tested the system out on the road. It sounded really nice. At idle, the tone was like the original exhaust, just with the bass knob on the EQ turned up to about 8. Under load, the sound was warm and baritone, without being particularly buzzy. Basically, it sounded like a factory sport exhaust option that was just a notch louder that we'd expect from an OEM system.

Of course, there was no perceptible change in the driving dynamic. But in terms of subjective enjoyment, the exhaust system helped. That being said, the hoped-for fight over the keys never seemed to happen in this office. My feeling is that this exhaust system is the kind of thing that an owner of an FR-S or BRZ should reward themselves with after a year or two of ownership, when the novelty is just starting to wear off a bit.

But it wasn't enough for us. So, we ordered more parts.

Name:  IMG_1959-94164926-sm.jpg
Views: 75617
Size:  61.8 KB

The Gloves Come Off, the Headers Go On

Stage two of our attempt to turn the BRZ into the car we wanted was a bit of an experiment. You see, Nameless has a street header, and a not-so-street friendly header for the BRZ/FR-S twins. But being tuners, they wanted to build some of the race header's capabilities into the street option. The end result was a prototype header, one-of-one, that arrived at our office.

Putting it on was a bear. There were some tight clearances, but we got it on securely. Then we fired the engine up.
Holy loud pipes. Where the axleback system merely let you know it was there, with that low-toned growl, the full headerback system sounded like it was going to set off car alarms. (Full disclosure: it didn't, at least while I was driving it.) I didn't care for the sound, and I wasn't alone.

But that was only half the story, because the next step was to pair the full exhaust system with a ECU reflash. Nameless provided us with a cable to hook up a PC laptop to the OBDII port, sent us a tune and the software, and talked us through the procedure. The company was immensely helpful in supporting us over the phone by making sure the tune was properly taken by the ECU, and we didn't have any major issues during the process.

We were encouraged to hit the road and put some miles on the car so the ECU could learn the tune and exhaust system before we took it to the dyno session. Didn't have to ask us twice. I hopped in the car and we hit the roads around Ann Arbor.

And we didn't notice much of a difference, really. The throttle mapping had changed, from a curved to a linear map, so it became harder to launch the car smoothly. It would bunny-hop for a bit in first gear, seemingly regardless of throttle or clutch modulation. Otherwise, some drivers in the office reported that they felt better midrange response, others didn't report anything. Nobody liked the throttle mapping.

We didn't have an opportunity to get back at Nameless to upload another tune, as we were under a crunch and the car was leaving soon. Nameless was so helpful that I can only assume that the company would have worked with us until we ended up with a tune that we liked.

The ultimate impression was, tuning a car like the BRZ is a process. You have to like the back-and-forth, and clearly that means you have to work with a tuner you like. We liked Nameless a lot, and the fact that we didn't love the way the BRZ turned out has more to do with us not having enough time to dial it in.

That being said, before we discuss dyno results, a few editors did report that they felt a difference in mid-range punch. It was subtle, but there.

Post-game Analysis

It's funny; the Nameless exhaust and tune did correct one of the things we had hoped to fix, which was an odd dip in mid-range power delivery. It didn't do what we really wanted it to do, though, which was make us fall in love with the car again. In the end, we were left with a car that was even more compromised than it was before: it was loud (instead of just sounding lame), and it bucked and kicked in traffic, making us like it on the road even less. Unfortunately we didn't get to see what it would have been like to drive on the track with the tune and exhaust bits, but that's not the compromise we wanted. We already loved it on the track.

The dyno doesn't lie. The exhaust and tune were good for an additional 6.6 HP and 2 ft-lbs of torque at peak, respectively. If you stopped there and didn't analyze the charts, that's not too impressive. Dig a little deeper, and there are a few things to note. First, there's no loss of horsepower below 3000 rpm, and a gain of 9 ft-lbs of torque at 2400 rpm. At the mid-range drop in output, the tuned car moved that dip down in the rev range, and offset it with consistent torque and HP gains through the rest of the range.

We saw big gains up top, mitigating a serious horsepower drop off over 7200 rpm by up to 12 hp. Basically, under 4000 rpm, the upgrades were a wash, but over 4000 rpm, it's all gains, but at the cost of a lot (a LOT) of noise.

There will be some people who will love the way that the Nameless Performance exhaust sounded, and we encourage them to work with their tuners to get the car exactly where they want it to be. For us, looking for a quick and easy way to craft the BRZ we wanted from the beginning, we would have stopped at the phenomenal axleback system and found other ways of improving the car for the street. It's no surprise many of us would have liked to try out a supercharger, but surprisingly, the most common wish was for a slightly more compliant suspension for street use. One editor thought that waiting for the aftermarket to "figure out" the car and offer better solutions was a good strategy. Another felt that the engine configuration and calibration was, quite simply, disappointing, and it was best to leave the car alone and enjoy its charms.

What's clear is, there are no clear answers for what to do with the BRZ. It is a brilliant, and flawed, car. We would have liked a bit more time to tinker with it, but at least we'll have our memories of how great it was on track.

Source: http://www.roadandtrack.com/features...ss-performance
tennisfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tennisfreak For This Useful Post:
Boofneenee (10-05-2013)
Old 10-04-2013, 11:23 PM   #2
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
True 3rd party, impartial testing.

Finally.

Now everyone else do it...

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dimman For This Useful Post:
Anthony (10-05-2013), Guff (10-08-2013), zohare (10-09-2013)
Old 10-04-2013, 11:55 PM   #3
horrorbiz

Drives: ‘22 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Yet Jive got 21hp with an intake + catback at EFI today... Something seems off.
horrorbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to horrorbiz For This Useful Post:
AZOOZ_95 (10-09-2013), dori. (10-09-2013)
Old 10-05-2013, 07:56 AM   #4
cantholdanymore

Drives: FR-S Very Hot Lava
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
So they didn't have time to properly setup a prototype header, nothing useful in that article.
cantholdanymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:21 AM   #5
tonystewart

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Raven
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Road&Track, Car&Driver, so bad their paper is too slick to wipe my ass with.
What gives them the right to publish bad journalism without repercussions?
May'12 AT Raven, OFT V2, Perrin IntakeTube, Pulley & Overpipe,HKS Snorkel,FA20 EL Header,Nameless Frontpipe w/ Helmholtz, Crawford AOS, Cusco O2W Cooler, Grimmspeed Strut/MC Brace, Winjets w/D2S 3.0 HID by Illuminating Lighworkx, Fogs w/EU Stalk, LED's, JDM UnderPanels, Diffuser, Rigid Collars, Whiteline, HVT Camber Plates, Koni's, Swift Springs, GTSpec LCA, SPC Toearms, DBA 4K T-Slot Rotors, Ferodo DS2500, Vorshlag BrakeLines, MichelinPSS, 5Axis Wing, Raammat, Ensolite, JPM Coachworks, OEM+Ref400, 20mmspacers, TOMS
tonystewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:34 AM   #6
GT86meMR2

Drives: MR Spyder/GT86
Seems like some bad press for nameless on the performance part.. however not having time to do it right just makes this review rushed and not really worth reading...
GT86meMR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:46 AM   #7
tonystewart

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZmeMR2 View Post
Seems like some bad press for nameless on the performance part.. however not having time to do it right just makes this review rushed and not really worth reading...
Jason at Nameless builds quality, how they applied it is disrespectful to him and the forum members/GT86 owners. Silly really
May'12 AT Raven, OFT V2, Perrin IntakeTube, Pulley & Overpipe,HKS Snorkel,FA20 EL Header,Nameless Frontpipe w/ Helmholtz, Crawford AOS, Cusco O2W Cooler, Grimmspeed Strut/MC Brace, Winjets w/D2S 3.0 HID by Illuminating Lighworkx, Fogs w/EU Stalk, LED's, JDM UnderPanels, Diffuser, Rigid Collars, Whiteline, HVT Camber Plates, Koni's, Swift Springs, GTSpec LCA, SPC Toearms, DBA 4K T-Slot Rotors, Ferodo DS2500, Vorshlag BrakeLines, MichelinPSS, 5Axis Wing, Raammat, Ensolite, JPM Coachworks, OEM+Ref400, 20mmspacers, TOMS
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tonystewart For This Useful Post:
AZOOZ_95 (10-09-2013), radroach (10-09-2013), Ruckus (10-09-2013)
Old 10-05-2013, 08:53 AM   #8
Boofneenee
Go-Kart Enthusiast

Drives: Toyota Scion FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I just ordered my nameless exhaust which replaces the OP all the way back to the tips. I will have a stock header for now. According to the nameless rep's its a 12 whp gain. I didnt see that anywhere on this dyno even with a tune and headers! This article did not do the car justice in my eyes.. I wish they properly figured it out and tweaked the settings for maximum performance before the shit all over nameless.

One thing that this article did open my eyes to is the fact that perhaps, simple bolt on's, without properly tweaking the car, will not help... perhaps make it worse. After looking at the dyno its as if the bolt on's simply shifted that infamous tq dip 1k rpm's down! I spend a lot of time in traffic crawling in and out of the 1 - 4 k range.
Boofneenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:00 AM   #9
GT86meMR2

Drives: MR Spyder/GT86
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonystewart View Post
Jason at Nameless builds quality, how they applied it is disrespectful to him and the forum members/GT86 owners. Silly really
I know they build quality, im going to get the full exhaust when the headers come out.. they just made it look like Nameless parts dont bring alot of gains while they are probably one of the best parts to get if you want to have N/A gains...
GT86meMR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GT86meMR2 For This Useful Post:
tonystewart (10-05-2013)
Old 10-05-2013, 09:01 AM   #10
FR-S Matt
Banned

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
I'd take this article with a grain of salt. We know it takes fining tuning to get gains from these parts. One flash from a provided tune won't do it. That's like the file fa20club sent me initially for logging then calling it a day and putting it on the dyno. This article is garbage.
FR-S Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:13 AM   #11
tonystewart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boofneenee View Post
One thing that this article did open my eyes to is the fact that perhaps, simple bolt on's, without properly tweaking the car, will not help... perhaps make it worse.
Your comment should be a permanent header, sticky, whatever for this car. We've had one since May 2012, and when Perrin started his blog on the car one of the first things he discussed was the "inability" of the stock ecu to adjust for intake and exhaust flow changes.
Anyone who asks me or my daughter about the car or what's been done, the first words are "get a tune from FA20Club first, then buy parts".
It can be from any tuner, Toni at FA20Club.com is near to us and very supportive.
A young man at my daughters high school is driving a white 6 spd manual, stock.
I have no details about the incident nor do I want them, just the results. His words to my daughter, "what did you do to the engine" and "how does your car stop so fast" followed by " it's an automatic, no way!"

I witnessed it after the Friday Night football game, in the Hurricanes wings parking lot, hilarious!
Old 10-05-2013, 09:17 AM   #12
HotRodPA

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I think I stopped trusting what R&T wrote when they said that the stock exhaust was "rough and crude" They also lost credibility points on their complaint about how difficult the header install was.
I agree, there's something missing in the story, considering that I have not seen any BRZ/FR-S putting down ~174 at the wheels in stock form.
I'm running a nameless overpipe and catback, and I love the way my car sounds.
HotRodPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:23 AM   #13
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonystewart View Post
Part of the responsibility lies with them, though. An opportunity for a review in a highly recognised magazine, but they weren't ready. So they could've passed on it instead of ending up with a very mediocre review.

For what it's worth, I think these parts and tune went out to R&T in the Spring, so hopefully the situation has improved.

Their tuner was chasing a consistency problem, too. And we're starting to see that modifying the Ignition Advance Modifier through Ecutek is not stable from car to car. Hopefully they are learning and applying what they find.

Side note: is it just me or does R&T hate the car as a daily? The whole review was like passive aggressive negative or something...

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dimman For This Useful Post:
matsayswhat (10-11-2013), TRD_07 (10-12-2013)
Old 10-05-2013, 10:34 AM   #14
Apoc

Drives: Raven FR-S 6M
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I chuckled at the comments around how non-compliant the ride was off track. In what world would any car journalist expect a smooth supple ride on bad roads with a car designed like this. Last time I checked the BRZ/FR-S wasn't a SUV.