follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 08-24-2012, 05:08 PM   #1
Hanakuso

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
E-brake handle/boot swap

This can be done for people with an FRS that wants to upgrade to the red stitched BRZ E-brake handle/boot or for any other reason.

Tools need will be:
Phillips screwdriver
12mm ratchet wrench
12mm socket wrench (possibly optional)
8mm wrench

Remember do this at your own risk. I take no responsibility for any damages.

1. First, detach the e-brake boot from the center console. This can be done by just pulling upwards. I started from one end and slowly unlatched it off.

2. Take the center console off. There is a total of 6 screws you will need to take off.

Center console storage area (Two phillips screws). Remove the rubber mat that is over it.

Under the traction control buttons (Two phillips screws). You must remove the shift knob trim. It's held down at 4 points and it will eventually come off if you pull up on it.

Behind the storage unit with the USB/AUX under the AC/Fan controls. (Two phillips screws). You can just pull it out or you can push it from the rear if you remove the 2 small rectangular pieces under both the knee pads.

3. Remove all the cable plugs (USB/AUX, E-brake, 12V power outlet, traction control)

4. Remove the center console now.

5. Use your 12mm wrench and ratchet to remove the screws from the E-brake. The screw that is on the left side of the tranmission tunnel is tricky. It would be easiest to access it if you removed the driver seat, but it's not needed. You will also have to remove the 2 stubs connects to the cable wire. You have to twist it 90 degrees and then do the opposite to remove the second one.

6. Install the new E-brake, screw it back in and connect the 2 stubs from the wire cable. Use the 8mm wrench to tighten the E-brake cable enough so it doesn't have much slack, but not too much that the E-brake will be engaged while driving.

7. Reinstall the center console, shift knob trim, storage under the AC/Fan and all the connecting plugs.

FYI, it might be possible to do the swap with only removing the 2 rear 12mm screws in the storage bin to complete the swap, but I felt I would of flexed the center console plastic too much. So the extra steps were well worth it. Also, I know this isn't a perfect DIY and I will add more pictures or provide additional steps if needed.
Hanakuso is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hanakuso For This Useful Post:
Caspian (12-07-2014), Nails (12-02-2017), ravenMTgirl (08-25-2012), ZeN6 (09-21-2012)
Old 08-26-2012, 03:02 AM   #2
DarrenDriven
NW Region Moderator

Drives: FR-S No More
Thanked 3,186 Times in 1,091 Posts
Mentioned: 300 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Garage
Added to the DIY Directory:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7365
DarrenDriven is offline   Reply With Quote