follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northwest

Northwest AK, ID, OR, WA

User Tag List

Old 04-11-2015, 07:50 PM   #1
jblmr2

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Team Continental Track Day

Just to let anyone who is interested know, Team Continental has a race weekend May 22-24. Friday the 22nd is driver training/HPDE/test &tune. Race days on Saturday and Sunday. If you join TC ($35) entry fee is $185 vs $225, savings $5. I know that's not much, but if you do the Oct 3 event it's $50 savings. Love to see a bunch of 86's out there. ORP is as good as it gets!
jblmr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jblmr2 For This Useful Post:
bboyclo (04-14-2015)
Old 04-13-2015, 04:01 PM   #2
paiceyfan

Drives: 2014 Porsche Cayman S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Garage
I am considering it. I want to do two track days with a $1000 budget and late May looks good as my first one right now. I am a rookie, so lots to learn about this stuff...need a helmet too...
Old 04-13-2015, 08:37 PM   #3
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I will be there for all three days. The race schedule for Sat/Sun is a Qual/Race, Qual/Race format with no practice sessions and since I've never run CounterClockwise there it'll be important to get some time in before I have to take a green flag.

I look forward to seeing some 86s out there on Friday! Y'all can poke fun at my orange, plasti-dipped, fwd, derp-wagon.

I don't think the showers/bathrooms will be ready by this even but this link here says they begin construction this spring (woohoo!):
http://oregonraceway.com/restrooms-and-showers/
Old 04-14-2015, 09:30 AM   #4
jblmr2

Garage
@paiceyfan I would really encourage you to go through the TC drivers school. It is one of the best club level schools around. What makes it unique is that you have classroom sessions between driving sessions. Most schools make you sit through 3 hours of classroom instruction a day or two before the event so when you get on the track you may have difficulty remembering/applying the classroom material. Also TC's focus has always been racing, so most of their instructors are or have been racing drivers. It's a great program, I went through it 2 years ago, and now I'm great!

@rice classic I'll look forward to meeting you. By the way counter clockwise is the really fun way around ORP.
Old 04-14-2015, 11:37 AM   #5
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Just an FYI:

There's a lapping day this Friday @ The Ridge with Turn2 Lapping, if you're wanting to get out on track right away but registration ends tomorrow. It looks like there's 1 FRS and 1 BRZ registered and the weather looks great.
https://www.motorsportreg.com/events...1#.VS0yUZORzX4

Another note on the TC day:
TC's sister club for the Seattle area (IRDC) had their driver school this Saturday @ The Ridge already filled up, which is nice because last year I don't think we filled all the spots for the driver's school so it's very cool to see the increase demand for this. With that being said there's a chance the TC day @ ORP will fill up fast too so if you're considering it you should go register right away.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:31 PM   #6
Decay107
Turning is for Nerds

Drives: 35 characters is not enough
Thanked 1,259 Times in 717 Posts
Mentioned: 186 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
And just so everyone knows, buying the $10 lunch is well worth it at ORP. Last time I went it was grilled pineapple, chicken, and vegetables, with cheesecake for dessert
Decay107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 03:56 PM   #7
paiceyfan

Drives: 2014 Porsche Cayman S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblmr2 View Post
@paiceyfan I would really encourage you to go through the TC drivers school. It is one of the best club level schools around. What makes it unique is that you have classroom sessions between driving sessions. Most schools make you sit through 3 hours of classroom instruction a day or two before the event so when you get on the track you may have difficulty remembering/applying the classroom material. Also TC's focus has always been racing, so most of their instructors are or have been racing drivers. It's a great program, I went through it 2 years ago, and now I'm great!

@rice classic I'll look forward to meeting you. By the way counter clockwise is the really fun way around ORP.

The whole deal looks good...not too pricey (that's pricey, not ricey )...ORP, which I would prefer based on reviews and they seem like a respected outfit. Just need to set up a hotel room somewhere, too, as it is nearly four hours drive from home. They supply helmets, too, don't they? Where's the nearest gas station for standard Premium?

Cheers!
Old 04-14-2015, 07:46 PM   #8
jblmr2

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceyfan View Post
The whole deal looks good...not too pricey (that's pricey, not ricey )...ORP, which I would prefer based on reviews and they seem like a respected outfit. Just need to set up a hotel room somewhere, too, as it is nearly four hours drive from home. They supply helmets, too, don't they? Where's the nearest gas station for standard Premium?

Cheers!
There are 3 motels at Biggs Junction, about 30 miles from the track. I've stayed at Three Rivers Inn a couple of times, clean well maintained very reasonable pricing. Two bed & breakfasts' in Wasco, 20 miles from the track. The Tall Winds motel in Moro, about 10 miles away, but fills quickly. Otherwise The Dalles which puts you 50 miles out.

The track generally opens at 7 AM with registration at 7:30. You'll have to have your car tech'd which will be open at the same time as registration. A drivers meeting will take place about 8:30, and the first group is generally on the track at 9:00. If you decide to do it you'll receive a schedule via email.

I'm not sure about the helmets, but my brother is the Asst. Driving Master. If you contact him at jim.larfield@gmail.com I'm sure he will get you set up.

The nearest gas to the track is at Biggs Junction. The track does have 92 octane non-ethanol available. It's a bit spendy at $5.50 a gallon, but you won't have to bring fuel if you don't want to.
The Following User Says Thank You to jblmr2 For This Useful Post:
paiceyfan (04-15-2015)
Old 05-02-2015, 12:55 PM   #9
jblmr2

Garage
Just a bump to remind everybody this is coming up in less than 3 weeks. Long term forecast looks great, temps in the 70's!
Old 05-03-2015, 07:54 PM   #10
sirbobbinhood

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
I just got signed up, it'll be my first time on a track so I'm excited.
sirbobbinhood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sirbobbinhood For This Useful Post:
jblmr2 (05-04-2015)
Old 05-04-2015, 12:35 AM   #11
jblmr2

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbobbinhood View Post
I just got signed up, it'll be my first time on a track so I'm excited.
That's great you'll have a good time. See you there. By the way I noticed you signed up for group 2. If this will be your first time on track I would suggest you change your registration to group 1. That way you'll get an instructor, something I would highly recommend for a first timer and on this track.

Last edited by jblmr2; 05-04-2015 at 12:49 AM.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:35 AM   #12
sirbobbinhood

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblmr2 View Post
That's great you'll have a good time. See you there. By the way I noticed you signed up for group 2. If this will be your first time on track I would suggest you change your registration to group 1. That way you'll get an instructor, something I would highly recommend for a first timer and on this track.
Thanks for the heads up, I just redid the registration but it's still putting me in group 2. The first time I put in Group 1 and this time I put in NA for group. Is there someone I can email to let them know so I can make sure I'm in the right class?
sirbobbinhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 02:51 PM   #13
jblmr2

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbobbinhood View Post
Thanks for the heads up, I just redid the registration but it's still putting me in group 2. The first time I put in Group 1 and this time I put in NA for group. Is there someone I can email to let them know so I can make sure I'm in the right class?

Actually, I talked to my brother who is one of the honchos for this event. He told me they will move you to group 1, so you don't need to worry about it.
Old 05-04-2015, 04:22 PM   #14
sittinSideways

Drives: '13 Firestorm FRS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
This looks fantastic! I've been wanting to get on the track for a while, and ORP looks like a very safe track (no ditches to go into or barriers to hit). Looking forward to this so much, only problem is it's on a school weekend... Might still sign up though
sittinSideways is offline   Reply With Quote