follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 05-13-2013, 10:50 AM   #1
Books

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S (MT)
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
3D printing and beyond

Quick Disclaimer: Use these models at your own risk. I'm not offering any goods or services.

Here's the collection in Thingiverse where i'll be saving all my designs and any other people's designs I find: http://www.thingiverse.com/Books/collections/fr-s

Instead of adding onto my regular car journal, I think that 3D printing stuff for the 86 deserved it's own topic.

Intro:
I am not claiming to be good nor a professional. I'm just a guy with a 3D printer and some curiousity. I have an engineering background but zero modelling experience.

My goal is to tinker and share with everyone what I've come up with and to get some ideas and feedback. And also to help those who want to give 3D printing a try

My Printer:
I have a Solidoodle 2 that I bought last year. It has served me well so far and I have a multitude of colors I can print in (one color at a time). My max print size is 6x6x6 inches and I print with ABS Plastic. I can print with a layer height of 0.3mm to 0.1mm.

In terms of strength, the printed object is strong but it's no super material. It WILL break if you force it between the layers. It's also VERY dependent on shape, size, and fill (hollow or partially filled interior), little parts that stick out, etc. There are ways to make them stronger though. For example, if you printed a small 1 inch cube, it can't survive a hammer but will survive a rubber mallet (i've tried).

My main focus in this thread are on the designs and not on 3D printing itself. There are already a vast number of articles [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_printing"]3D printing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame], so sorry in advance.

My other tools:
-Google Sketchup: This is what I currently model but any CAD software like Maya or Blender also work.
-Thingiverse: This is the flickr/imgur/photobucket of 3D printing models. I will be sharing my models via this website.

-------------

I just moved my printer to a new spot in the house (more stable, doesn't annoy everyone in the house anymore). It needs to be re-calibrated but I whipped this up and did a test print. So here's a quick preview of my first model:

(Preview) Interior Fuse Box Cover:
This is going to be a template that will be modified. I recently installed a new BlackVue dashcam with the parking mode accessory, which requires tapping into the fuse box (via this DIY). Since the cover doesn't fit anymore, I need to make an extra large cover that will protect the fuses from my wet shoes.

Future projects: Phone holder, Tow Hook cover with hole (for license plate relocation kits), cover for the useless cubby next to USB port (FR-S only), new logo(?), and any other useless crap I can come up with.

EDIT: Some more pics: (Again, uncalibrated)

Last edited by Books; 06-02-2013 at 10:21 PM.
Books is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Books For This Useful Post:
mrlewistan (05-13-2013), Sonolin (05-13-2013), Sportsguy83 (05-14-2013), u/Josh (05-14-2013)
Old 05-13-2013, 03:42 PM   #2
mrlewistan
Driver of FR-S 1467

Drives: 2013 scion frs 001467
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
i want in on one of those covers for the same reason if you ever decide to make more.
mrlewistan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrlewistan For This Useful Post:
Books (05-13-2013), Shim (05-13-2013)
Old 05-13-2013, 05:34 PM   #3
neutron256

Drives: '13 GBS Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Nice work. I'm currently using a Makerbot Replicator 2 and Rhino CAD.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:22 PM   #4
cmspooner

Drives: 2013 SWP Limited BRZ - Manual
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I want to make an alternative bezel for the brz stereo... If I made up a part in inventor would you be willing to print and testing for me?
cmspooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:39 PM   #5
neutron256

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmspooner View Post
I want to make an alternative bezel for the brz stereo... If I made up a part in inventor would you be willing to print and testing for me?
You'd probably be pushing the size limitations most consumer/prosumer 3Dprinters, but if you can turn out a good model I'd probably be willing to give it a shot. Keep in mind the ABS and even more so PLA plastics used may experience dimensional stability issues inside a hot car.
cmspooner (05-13-2013)
Old 05-13-2013, 10:33 PM   #6
zohare

Drives: '13 Firestorm Base AT
Garage
I just want one to get involved in DefCad like stuff to be perfectly honest. So cool though.
zohare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:44 PM   #7
Books

Garage
A quick update:

In the original, the holes were a bit off. I made the holes a bit wider (better tolerances) and also made the cover bigger in order to fit the add-a-circuit stuff using guestimations based off the pics in the DIY. Though I am lazy to update the original...

The modified cover is currently being printed and i'm hoping it fits

I've also uploaded it here in Thingiverse: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:88529

Here's a pic of it being printed:

I'll post another update sometime tomorrow. I'm going to bed and let it finish printing (1.5 hours, quite a short print)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutron256 View Post
Nice work. I'm currently using a Makerbot Replicator 2 and Rhino CAD.
Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmspooner View Post
Are you looking to replace the whole thing? Or like a cover? But like neutron256 said, the more detail the the harder it is to get a good print.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:49 PM   #8
neutron256

Quote:
Originally Posted by zohare View Post
I just want one to get involved in DefCad like stuff to be perfectly honest. So cool though.
Every time someone hears I have a 3D printer the first thing they bring up are these idiots. I can't wait until somebody trying to use one of their designs blows their fingers off.

There is a reason guns aren't made of plastic, and if you wanted to make make a plastic gun for some some nefarious purpose there are better was to go about it.
zohare (05-14-2013)
Old 05-13-2013, 11:23 PM   #9
Books

Garage
Oh dear, I have to cut my print short... the layers are coming apart.

Cold + Layer adhesion issues + thin walls will do the trick. I think the new place for my printer (My basement) is way too cold . I'll have to wrap it up and keep it warm somehow. I'll figure it out tomorrow. Bed time.

It's a real shame too, that first layer came out really nice:

Old 05-14-2013, 02:03 PM   #10
zohare

Drives: '13 Firestorm Base AT
Garage
Quote:
Every time someone hears I have a 3D printer the first thing they bring up are these idiots. I can't wait until somebody trying to use one of their designs blows their fingers off.

There is a reason guns aren't made of plastic, and if you wanted to make make a plastic gun for some some nefarious purpose there are better was to go about it.
Hahaha fair enough. I just think it's interesting. Perhaps taking it a bit too far, but the concept changes things. It brings up the point that govt no matter how hard it tries, will never keep up with the consumers... Bad people will always find a way. Anyhow, not trying to thread jack or start anything. Just think it's neat. as long as they stick with magazines and lowers no one will get hurt.

Can you explain the adhesion and cold layer issues? Just from the plastic cooling before it settles or hows tha work?
zohare is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zohare For This Useful Post:
Kakawate (01-29-2014)
Old 05-14-2013, 02:26 PM   #11
neutron256

Quote:
Can you explain the adhesion and cold layer issues? Just from the plastic cooling before it settles or hows tha work?
As the plastic filament cools it shrinks slightly causing it to contract. This can cause the curving and layer separation you see above. It tends to be especially bad with long straight sections that end in a sharp corner. There are lots of ways to help prevent this, but as the OP already suggest the best way is to create a build chamber where an even tempeature can be maintained. There are also techniques like adding pads at the corners so it will adheared better to the build platform.

I'm in the process of enclosing my Replicator 2 and adding a heating element to create a heated build chamber to further prevent this sort of warping.
zohare (01-29-2014)
Old 05-14-2013, 03:29 PM   #12
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Books View Post
A quick update:

In the original, the holes were a bit off. I made the holes a bit wider (better tolerances) and also made the cover bigger in order to fit the add-a-circuit stuff using guestimations based off the pics in the DIY. Though I am lazy to update the original...
I also need one of this huge covers to fit add a circuit module. THANKS for your work on this!!
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:34 PM   #13
draggin_az
Small penis big dreams

Drives: '13 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
sooooo can you build an 86?
370hp on E-85
draggin_az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:51 PM   #14
Books

Garage
Quote:
Pretty much what neutron256 said. It's a balance of not too hot and not too cold. Too hot and things start melting and never solidify fast enough. Too cold and things start warping and contracting (solidifying too fast).

Quote:
I'm in the process of enclosing my Replicator 2 and adding a heating element to create a heated build chamber to further prevent this sort of warping.
Nice! I already have a heated platform on mine. No cover though, never really needed it until now. I'm thinking about wrapping it in a blanket for now

I also saw your 86 logo and added it to my collection (if you don't mind)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 View Post
I also need one of this huge covers to fit add a circuit module. THANKS for your work on this!!
Thanks, just need to get a good print so I can test do a test fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by draggin_az View Post
sooooo can you build an 86?
Not quite I can print a miniature though

-----

Here's a quick pic of something I printed recently:

Last edited by Books; 05-14-2013 at 04:07 PM.
Books is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Books For This Useful Post:
draggin_az (05-14-2013), M-17 (05-14-2013), neutron256 (05-14-2013), Sportsguy83 (05-14-2013)