follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 04-16-2014, 09:29 AM   #127
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Drives: Limited Red 6MT BRZ
Thanked 1,167 Times in 644 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prog View Post
It obviously won't be doing much while it's in sleep mode, but it will technically be on. And since it's Android, sometimes it has runaway processes that you don't notice until you see your battery is at 50% when it should be around 95%, which has happened to me a few times. During these times, I sometimes realized this because when I went to touch the tablet, I could feel that it was warm.

That's actually a fairly good (and important point). I indeed still want and need head unit functionality (minus AM/FM radio).
[/QUOTE]

Timurs rom takes care of that. It puts it Ina great sleep state that when it wakes up I've only used usually 1% over night.

I'm looking forward to your review of the cafi. I'm curious if it ends up being as good as the nexus 7 or just good enough. Did you run anything on your nexus that would be high drain or require higher processing power?

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Sojhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:35 AM   #128
Prog

Drives: 2016 Cadillac CTS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojhinn View Post
Timurs rom takes care of that. It puts it Ina great sleep state that when it wakes up I've only used usually 1% over night.
Yeah, that's true. I guess my tolerance for risk just isn't quite as high? I'm sure most/all of you guys with Nexus installs won't have problems in the heat.

Quote:
I'm looking forward to your review of the cafi. I'm curious if it ends up being as good as the nexus 7 or just good enough. Did you run anything on your nexus that would be high drain or require higher processing power?
I'm trying not to get my expectations too high on it, because I know that's just asking for a let down. I am really curious if I'll be able to use Tasker on it to make the physical buttons perform different functions. Ca-Fi support told me the physical next/previous buttons won't do fast forward/reverse, and I'd really like that functionality (doing FF/reverse on a touchscreen is pretty difficult, and I fast forward through a lot of podcast commercials).

I don't think I ran anything super crazy. I always quit apps after I was done with them, so most of the time the only app left running overnight was PowerAmp. I didn't have issues with battery drain except when apps went crazy in the background, as they sometimes randomly do.
Prog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 11:44 PM   #129
Genomaxter

Drives: 2013 firestorm FRS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I badly want to do this setup. There is one thing holding me back and that is a lack of head units with HD radio & bluetooth. I want both. Streaming pandora is not a good option for me, I dont like to use my data plan that much. And HD radio has been great for me. Love the quality and more station options. The only head unit that fits the bill is the new Sony MEX-GS810BH which wont be out for a few months.
Genomaxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 11:45 PM   #130
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genomaxter View Post
I badly want to do this setup. There is one thing holding me back and that is a lack of head units with HD radio & bluetooth. I want both. Streaming pandora is not a good option for me, I dont like to use my data plan that much. And HD radio has been great for me. Love the quality and more station options. The only head unit that fits the bill is the new Sony MEX-GS810BH which wont be out for a few months.

I'm surprised there's not more. I'll take a look.

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Old 04-18-2014, 01:04 AM   #131
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:

Choose your poison:
http://www.crutchfield.com/g_300/All...in&price=0-700

Installed Mods:
Old 04-18-2014, 11:10 AM   #132
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
So since everyone is freaking out aboout the temperature in car. The point at which a battery runs the risk (not that it will actually happen) is 65 degrees C or 150 degrees Fahrenheit. These temperatures would occur when the outside ambient temperature is 125 degrees Fahrenheit, and you leave the windows closed.
Source for your suggestion that it would need to be 125F outside to reach 150F in the car?

This study from the Journal of the Louisiana State Medical Society found that with ambient temperatures of 93F, a sitting vehicle (even with the windows cracked) would exceed 140F in less than 45 minutes.

Quote:
During July 1995, an infant in southeast Louisiana died as a result of heat exposure in an enclosed automobile. To evaluate degree of heat exposure in a vehicle, we compared the temperature rise inside an enclosed, dark-colored vehicle with the temperature rise in a light-colored vehicle with the windows partly open. Within 20 minutes, readings in both cars exceeded 125°F and reached approximately 140°F in 40 minutes--a temperature rise of over 45°F
http://www.injuryprevention.org/stat...rs/hotcars.htm

Last edited by xjohnx; 04-18-2014 at 11:22 AM.
xjohnx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xjohnx For This Useful Post:
Prog (04-22-2014), Sojhinn (04-18-2014)
Old 04-18-2014, 11:29 AM   #133
Genomaxter

Drives: 2013 firestorm FRS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
How good are the head unit control apps with other brands beside Sony? I planned to use an Aurdino to replicate the IR remote sequence for turning on the App Control automatically when the Nexus turns on. I dont want to push any buttons for the head unit itself to use it. Basically, I want the Nexus to control all the radio functions of the head unit.
Genomaxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 12:35 PM   #134
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjohnx View Post
Source for your suggestion that it would need to be 125F outside to reach 150F in the car?

This study from the Journal of the Louisiana State Medical Society found that with ambient temperatures of 93F, a sitting vehicle (even with the windows cracked) would exceed 140F in less than 45 minutes.

http://www.injuryprevention.org/stat...rs/hotcars.htm
Thanks for the heads up. I just did a quick search. Either way Im not worried about it.

Edit:

So I did a little further researching, it seems things vary significantly depending on the vehicle etc. When the weather warms up here I'll do a few tests myself to see how hot our cars get.

Installed Mods:
Old 04-18-2014, 12:36 PM   #135
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
How good are the head unit control apps with other brands beside Sony? I planned to use an Aurdino to replicate the IR remote sequence for turning on the App Control automatically when the Nexus turns on. I dont want to push any buttons for the head unit itself to use it. Basically, I want the Nexus to control all the radio functions of the head unit.
I would wait for the sony then since its app works a lot better. Just gotta be patient. That way it saves you $65 bucks for timurs rom too.

Installed Mods:
Old 04-22-2014, 12:59 PM   #136
Reflex

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
When I charge the Nexus 7 and have it connected to the headunit via an aux cable, I get a crazy amount of static and hissing through the speakers. When I disconnect one or the other, that sound nearly disappears. Do you have any suggestions on how to get rid of the static/hissing noise? I'm using a 2013 Nexus 7 so I don't have Timbur's rom
Reflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 01:01 PM   #137
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflex View Post
When I charge the Nexus 7 and have it connected to the headunit via an aux cable, I get a crazy amount of static and hissing through the speakers. When I disconnect one or the other, that sound nearly disappears. Do you have any suggestions on how to get rid of the static/hissing noise? I'm using a 2013 Nexus 7 so I don't have Timbur's rom

Are you using the headphone jack or a usb dac?

Also it sounds like you are grounding out somewhere. How are you charging your nexus?

Installed Mods:
Old 04-22-2014, 01:12 PM   #138
Reflex

Quote:
Are you using the headphone jack or a usb dac?

Also it sounds like you are grounding out somewhere. How are you charging your nexus?
I'm using the headphone jack and I'm charging the nexus 7 using the same cigarette charger you're using and a right angle usb cable that leads into the glove box. Not using the an USB DAC or OTG cable because I thought they only work with timbur's rom
Old 04-22-2014, 01:13 PM   #139
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflex View Post
I'm using the headphone jack and I'm charging the nexus 7 using the same cigarette charger you're using and a right angle usb cable that leads into the glove box. Not using the an USB DAC or OTG cable because I thought they only work with timbur's rom

Looks like you the cigarette adapter is having a grounding issue then. You might want to try a different USB port. Try your headunit's?

Installed Mods:

Last edited by Sojhinn; 04-22-2014 at 01:30 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:17 PM   #140
Reflex

Quote:
Looks like you the cigarette adapter is having a grounding issue then. You mighty want to try a different USB port. Try your headunit's?
Will try that later. Thanks for the suggestion!

If that does not work, would a group loop isolator help? Or what other things could I do?