follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 01-04-2022, 08:26 PM   #29
ForeverCar

Drives: 2022 BRZ and some other cars
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizee View Post
I haven't yet gotten to drive one, but your comments exactly match my experience playing with one that was stationary (already sold to someone else). I felt the shifter did shake more than I'd like on startup, and when revving it below 3500 RPM (didn't go higher as engine was cold and I didn't want to abuse someone else's car), throttle response felt rather laggy/slurred and with pronounced rev hang. However, I'm still waiting for a chance to go on a proper test drive with the engine warmed up and using the full RPM range.

Aside from that, I thought the car was nice from what I could tell - interior was fine, seats comfy, a good size, nice looking exterior, slick and precise shifter feel. I have a red base model on order, just hoping I'll be satisfied by the throttle response without needing to tune and void warranty.
Of course, it’ll come down to preferences. When I keep the rpm high, the slow response isn’t an issue. It’s only when I mess up heel & toe that I get surprised by the slow to rev nature. In a sense, I’m appreciating the extra challenge!
ForeverCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 07:37 AM   #30
rBobby

Drives: 2022 BRZ
I haven't owned a Subaru in a long time, but my 07 Sti would have a dull pedal/slow throttle response when you reset the ecu for a full tank of gas while it was setting and learning fuel trims. I'm not sure if Subaru ECU's do this anymore since technology has probably advanced since then.
rBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 08:42 AM   #31
dsc_pat

Drives: Too fast
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rBobby View Post
I haven't owned a Subaru in a long time, but my 07 Sti would have a dull pedal/slow throttle response when you reset the ecu for a full tank of gas while it was setting and learning fuel trims. I'm not sure if Subaru ECU's do this anymore since technology has probably advanced since then.
This is exactly it. It will resolve itself.
dsc_pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 02:39 PM   #32
Stonehorsw

Drives: 18 Brz (Sold) / 22 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Car is really good, drove 2200 miles, being half on a toad trip. Space is cramped, but I was able to fit 2 toddlers and wife. Only dislike (or better, characteristic) was that the seat bolstering pushed my shoulders, which increased the fatigue.
Torque delivery surprised me once (muscle memory from gen1) in the rain/low-temp, which made me having to catch the car, no harm, just made me correct my inputs. Also, car understeers more than the previous (As soon as Spring comes, I will do alignment, which may be the cause).
Stonehorsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 04:08 PM   #33
Robertw

Drives: 1996 Turbo Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehorsw View Post
Car is really good, drove 2200 miles, being half on a toad trip. Space is cramped, but I was able to fit 2 toddlers and wife. Only dislike (or better, characteristic) was that the seat bolstering pushed my shoulders, which increased the fatigue.
Torque delivery surprised me once (muscle memory from gen1) in the rain/low-temp, which made me having to catch the car, no harm, just made me correct my inputs. Also, car understeers more than the previous (As soon as Spring comes, I will do alignment, which may be the cause).
This is exactly the info I've been looking for haha. I have a GR on order, and was hoping I could fit a 2 yr old, a 6 yr old, and wife in the car for shorter trips. It's going to be the toy car, still have the other family vehicles, but I'd like to get more use out of the car if possible. Being able to use it for school drop off / pickup and short trips with the family is perfect.
Robertw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robertw For This Useful Post:
Stonehorsw (01-06-2022)
Old 09-04-2022, 10:40 AM   #34
jeffsnavely

Drives: 2023 BRZ premium manual silver
+1
I'm coming out of an ND Miata with supercharger and stiffer bushings so my BRZ Premium feels like a luxury car over the terribly bumpy roads where I live (main reason I didn't get the Limited - wanted the smaller wheels for better ride). The car doesn't seem noisy inside thankfully as anything is a step up from a Miata in this area. Also the base stereo doesn't seem as terrible as I was expecting based on comments here. I'm going to put on Conti DWS 06+ soon.
jeffsnavely is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffsnavely For This Useful Post:
bcj (09-04-2022)
Old 09-04-2022, 11:34 AM   #35
Subito

Drives: …
I’d be very interested to hear more opinions about the noise differences between the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4 and the Conti DWS 06+. I’ll probably have a set of one of those installed shortly after taking delivery.
Subito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 01:15 PM   #36
Shub Deetle
Large Member

Drives: 2022 Subaru BRZ
I find the car just about perfect for me. I wouldn’t have bought it if it wasn’t.
Old 09-04-2022, 05:15 PM   #37
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,233 Times in 705 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sds View Post
Picked up my White Limited (6MT) this weekend and have already put 250 miles on the car. This car is replacing my 991.2 GTS, as I wanted something that I could actually drive without feeling guilty about putting miles on (or tracking). It's also the hardtop S2000 successor I always wanted as it makes the same amount of power with far better aero, safety, and usability.

Pros:
  1. It rotates quite well under trailing throttle and braking, and feels planted under throttle
  2. It's far more powerful than the first gen--feels about as strong as a bolt-on K24A2
  3. The driving position is about as close to perfect as it gets
  4. It's incredibly easy to drive near the limit compared to a lot of other FR cars
  5. It looks gorgeous and very Japanese (in a good way)
  6. It rides better than expected--and I'm driving on city streets in Boston
  7. The audio system in the Limited is actually halfway decent--at a standstill. More below.

Cons:
  1. It has a shocking amount of road noise. I'm benchmarking this against a 991.2 GTS (which has minimal sound deadening and 305 rear Pilot Sport Cup 2s) and an 8th gen Civic Si with a gutted trunk and 200TW tires. This is worse. I would have gladly traded off an additional 20lbs of sound insulation under the carpeting for a lower noise floor--it would drastically improve quality of life.
  2. It needs a tune to improve throttle response
  3. The trans mount needs improving--there's a substantial amount of shifter movement upon engine startup
  4. I wish the rear seats were a little more usable--I knew this going into the purchase, but if there was about 2 more inches of legroom, it would be fine for me. For context, I'm about 5'10" and sit closer to the pedals/wheel than most, and I don't think I could sit behind myself.
I just picked up my '23 yesterday. Only about 30 miles on it at this point, but "shocking amount of road noise" is beyond hyperbolic. It's more quiet inside than our '18 Mazda 3 on all seasons.

The throttle in normal mode does seem a bit soft. I'll play with it a bit more once I get some more miles on it.

I haven't noticed any shifter movement on startup, I also had them do the STi short throw shifter. I believe that was a port installed option. It's great throws are short and crisp.

Rear seats? Meh. I ordered a '15 new after test driving one, I knew they were worthless then and knew they would be worthless now. If we need to take more than myself and my fiance, we will take her 4-door Mazda 3.

I didn't buy a tiny 2-door sports coupe with the expectation of putting 4 adults in it.
Old 09-04-2022, 06:26 PM   #38
H380

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited WR Blue MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
I just picked up my '23 yesterday. Only about 30 miles on it at this point, but "shocking amount of road noise" is beyond hyperbolic. It's more quiet inside than our '18 Mazda 3 on all seasons.

The throttle in normal mode does seem a bit soft. I'll play with it a bit more once I get some more miles on it.

I haven't noticed any shifter movement on startup, I also had them do the STi short throw shifter. I believe that was a port installed option. It's great throws are short and crisp.

Rear seats? Meh. I ordered a '15 new after test driving one, I knew they were worthless then and knew they would be worthless now. If we need to take more than myself and my fiance, we will take her 4-door Mazda 3.

I didn't buy a tiny 2-door sports coupe with the expectation of putting 4 adults in it.
Do you have the 17" or 18" rims? The Limited with 18s and the PS4s are unbearable on groved concrete interstate.
H380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 11:45 PM   #39
Blighty

Drives: WR Blue Pearl 2022 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
One of the lesser mentioned differences, but another smart liveability feature of the BRZ over the GR86 is the black plastic lip integrated into the front bumper.

This has caught all of my speed bump hits, and because its an unpainted and small plastic part its only around 80$ to replace. Fantastic.
Blighty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blighty For This Useful Post:
Dzmitry (09-08-2022)
Old 09-06-2022, 10:26 AM   #40
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,242 Times in 1,216 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertw View Post
This is exactly the info I've been looking for haha. I have a GR on order, and was hoping I could fit a 2 yr old, a 6 yr old, and wife in the car for shorter trips. It's going to be the toy car, still have the other family vehicles, but I'd like to get more use out of the car if possible. Being able to use it for school drop off / pickup and short trips with the family is perfect.
The space is highly dependant on how tall the occupants are. I heard the second gen may have a tad less rear space than the first gen...probably due to thicker front seats.

Lots of people say the rear seats are useless, and they are to a degree. But alot of those people are over 6 feet tall. Im 5'-7" and theres barely enough leg room sitting behind myself in my ideal driving position. I can move the seat up a few clicks without compromising drivability but my legs end up being bent a bit more than i want. We used a rear facing child seat on the rear seat passenger side for a time, and the wife (5'-3") was able to squeeze into the front seat, but the seatback is too upright (and more reclined and it touches the car seat...which is normally a no-no) and the headrest being normally tilted forward a bit doenst help. Front facing child seats arent too much of an issue though. I think i can put one behind the drivers seat but my son is only 2 and he'd probably be kicking the seatback. I think realistically either a younger kid in a car seta or a booster seat would be acceptable behind the driver.

Unless of course you are six feet tall...then your seatback touches the rear seat and theres not much you can do with the space.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 05:29 PM   #41
Ohio Enthusiast

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post
Im 5'-7" and theres barely enough leg room sitting behind myself in my ideal driving position.
I'm 5'11" and easily fit behind myself (except for feet room and headroom), and I was still accosted for being too far away from the steering wheel by an autocross instructor. Maybe being skinny helps here? I'm around 140 lbs.

My 10 and 8 years old fit behind me without a problem as well.
Ohio Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 12:24 PM   #42
quikag

Drives: '22 BRZ Limited 6MT - Ignition Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertw View Post
I have a 4 year old, 18 month old, and wife and they fit perfectly fine in my '22 BRZ. Not a ton of extra room obviously, but it works and we all have a good time sliding around town.
quikag is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to quikag For This Useful Post:
Dzmitry (09-08-2022), Petah78 (09-07-2022)