follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-08-2016, 12:33 PM   #1
VeganGirl
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Drives: Scion FR-S 2013
Location: Internet
Posts: 142
Thanks: 11
Thanked 55 Times in 22 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question about spark plugs, oil, and super charger

Hi, I recently purchased a super charger and patiently waiting for it to arrive. I know a little bit about cars but I would appreciate guidance on a few questions I don't know the answer too. I live in Florida and I bought the edelbrock kit if that helps answer some of my question

So first question is about my spark plugs, currently my engine is at 71k miles and the spark plugs have never been changed. Is this something I need to do before putting the super charger on? I read in the manual that it was recommended to do them at 60k miles but I haven't noticed the car running weird or anything.

My next question is about the type of oil to use now. I heard something about using a different weight of oil when you are super charged, is this true? Last week I had a full synthetic oil change with 020-w something like that I think.

I have another question about transmission fluid. When I went to get my oil change they told me I should do that but I declined. Should I let them exchange it for me?

Also question about rear differential fluid, I am at 71k miles and to my knowledge has never been touched, is this something I need to address right now also?

Pretty much I have only done oil changes to the car I never did anything else. If there is something major I'm missing please let me know, I know going super charger reduces the life of the car but I'd like to do anything I can to increase it
VeganGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 12:42 PM   #2
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore
 
go_a_way1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 9,827
Thanks: 14,918
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganGirl View Post
Hi, I recently purchased a super charger and patiently waiting for it to arrive. I know a little bit about cars but I would appreciate guidance on a few questions I don't know the answer too. I live in Florida and I bought the edelbrock kit if that helps answer some of my question

So first question is about my spark plugs, currently my engine is at 71k miles and the spark plugs have never been changed. Is this something I need to do before putting the super charger on? I read in the manual that it was recommended to do them at 60k miles but I haven't noticed the car running weird or anything.

My next question is about the type of oil to use now. I heard something about using a different weight of oil when you are super charged, is this true? Last week I had a full synthetic oil change with 020-w something like that I think.

I have another question about transmission fluid. When I went to get my oil change they told me I should do that but I declined. Should I let them exchange it for me?

Also question about rear differential fluid, I am at 71k miles and to my knowledge has never been touched, is this something I need to address right now also?

Pretty much I have only done oil changes to the car I never did anything else. If there is something major I'm missing please let me know, I know going super charger reduces the life of the car but I'd like to do anything I can to increase it
Spend the money and do it all. Maintenance is key to keeping a car running and reliable. Expect to change fluids (including oil) more often with FI. Sparkplugs are a real pain but they should be done
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1GiantTurtle View Post
This thread got de-railed quick now it's just about Penis guitars
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to go_a_way1 For This Useful Post:
Toyarzee (11-08-2016), VeganGirl (11-08-2016)
Old 11-08-2016, 04:34 PM   #3
Matt@Cosworth
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Drives: blue - Cosworth SC stage 3.0
Location: Northants - UK
Posts: 330
Thanks: 3
Thanked 388 Times in 182 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
If your're going FI then replace the 0W20 engine oil with some 5W30

if you read the owners manual this is also Toyota's recommendation for cars that are used hard
Matt@Cosworth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matt@Cosworth For This Useful Post:
Sportsguy83 (11-09-2016)
Old 11-08-2016, 05:59 PM   #4
menikmati
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Drives: 2015 BRZ, 2005 STI
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 335
Thanks: 228
Thanked 225 Times in 118 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
What are your expected driving habits after going FI?

I believe the folks at CSG @CSG Mike have always ran 0w20 without any issues on their JRSC car.

Assuming that you're having the supercharger installed by a shop, I would recommend getting the spark plugs and transmission/differential fluid swapped while it's being worked on.
menikmati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 09:43 PM   #5
VeganGirl
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Drives: Scion FR-S 2013
Location: Internet
Posts: 142
Thanks: 11
Thanked 55 Times in 22 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt@Cosworth View Post
If your're going FI then replace the 0W20 engine oil with some 5W30

if you read the owners manual this is also Toyota's recommendation for cars that are used hard
I will be using it for daily driving. I do not drive the car hard at all. I do drive the car a lot though(I have put 30k miles just this past year itself).

I just got this oil change last week and paid like almost 100$. Do you think it would be okay to run it for the first 5k miles with this oil and then switch to 0w30? or just switch before going FI..
VeganGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 09:50 PM   #6
menikmati
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Drives: 2015 BRZ, 2005 STI
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 335
Thanks: 228
Thanked 225 Times in 118 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganGirl View Post
I will be using it for daily driving. I do not drive the car hard at all. I do drive the car a lot though(I have put 30k miles just this past year itself).

I just got this oil change last week and paid like almost 100$. Do you think it would be okay to run it for the first 5k miles with this oil and then switch to 0w30? or just switch before going FI..
0w20 would be sufficient for your application.

Since you already have fresh oil, I would aim for a shorter oil change interval and just change it regularly.

When in doubt, a used oil analysis can help you determine your OCI for future oil changes.
menikmati is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to menikmati For This Useful Post:
VeganGirl (11-09-2016)
Old 11-08-2016, 10:39 PM   #7
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB
 
wbradley's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Location: Thornhill Ontario
Posts: 4,620
Thanks: 1,349
Thanked 2,849 Times in 1,638 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Use thicker 5W30 oil if driving the supercharged car fairly hard for any sustained periods, the heat thins the regular oil resulting in insufficient oil pressure at highest temperatures. Perhaps do so at the next interval.
At your mileage the differential and trans fluid are probably not premature for a change. I thought the spark interval was longer, but the manual knows best. The sparks can be removed without lifting the engine as a good Subaru or boxer familiar mechanic might be aware.

Driving a lot of miles, going FI means reduced reliability (Edelbrock good choice though), higher engine temps, more maintenance, more fuel consumption. Much more fun getting on the highway though!
__________________
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 01:07 AM   #8
BRZ'13
Senior Member
 
BRZ'13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Drives: subaru
Location: Hamilton ON, Canada
Posts: 375
Thanks: 41
Thanked 92 Times in 67 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganGirl View Post
I will be using it for daily driving. I do not drive the car hard at all.
whats the point of the supercharger if you do not plan on driving it hard? better off saving the money and keeping it stock.
BRZ'13 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BRZ'13 For This Useful Post:
Cole (11-10-2016), Tcoat (11-09-2016), VABeachBRZ (11-09-2016)
Old 11-09-2016, 08:55 AM   #9
VeganGirl
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Drives: Scion FR-S 2013
Location: Internet
Posts: 142
Thanks: 11
Thanked 55 Times in 22 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZ'13 View Post
whats the point of the supercharger if you do not plan on driving it hard? better off saving the money and keeping it stock.
Because it's my money and I do what I want. I enjoyed the car stock for just over a year and now I'm ready for more power

Just because I have a super charger doesn't mean I should drive the car hard. I just like the feel of the car with it. My boyfriend has dropped 20k into modifications in his car body kits and supercharger suspension etc and shocker, he doesn't do car shows or events and has turned down sponsorships. It's our car and our money and if we just want to be low key and do stuff to make ourselfs happy that's all we need!
VeganGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VeganGirl For This Useful Post:
Alltezza (11-09-2016), Hostile_Kittens (11-09-2016)
Old 11-09-2016, 09:14 AM   #10
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore
 
go_a_way1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 9,827
Thanks: 14,918
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
I run 0w-20 with a oil cooled turbo so I think your fine to use it.

Quick FYI a 0w-30 oil is technicly thinker when cold and at operating temps the a 5w-30. I wouldn't go any thinker then 5w30 personally
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1GiantTurtle View Post
This thread got de-railed quick now it's just about Penis guitars
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to go_a_way1 For This Useful Post:
VeganGirl (11-09-2016)
Old 11-09-2016, 12:00 PM   #11
BRZ'13
Senior Member
 
BRZ'13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Drives: subaru
Location: Hamilton ON, Canada
Posts: 375
Thanks: 41
Thanked 92 Times in 67 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganGirl View Post
Because it's my money and I do what I want. I enjoyed the car stock for just over a year and now I'm ready for more power

Just because I have a super charger doesn't mean I should drive the car hard. I just like the feel of the car with it. My boyfriend has dropped 20k into modifications in his car body kits and supercharger suspension etc and shocker, he doesn't do car shows or events and has turned down sponsorships. It's our car and our money and if we just want to be low key and do stuff to make ourselfs happy that's all we need!
no need to get all defensive jeez. was just curious. 100% of the people i have spoken to get a supercharger to go faster, drive it harder etc because stock the car is slow as shit. Interesting to see someone buy it for "more power" but not driving it hard. learn something new everyday i guess
BRZ'13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 12:50 PM   #12
VeganGirl
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Drives: Scion FR-S 2013
Location: Internet
Posts: 142
Thanks: 11
Thanked 55 Times in 22 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by go_a_way1 View Post
I run 0w-20 with a oil cooled turbo so I think your fine to use it.

Quick FYI a 0w-30 oil is technicly thinker when cold and at operating temps the a 5w-30. I wouldn't go any thinker then 5w30 personally
I am going with a custom tune, would I have to get retuned if I switched to using a different oil weight? I'm not sure if what would cause having to get retuned. I know my boyfriend wants to get different headers and then he will get retuned, is it the same if I put a different oil in or add an oil cooler down the road? Do both of those require retune?
VeganGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 01:02 PM   #13
JDMChris
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Drives: 2016
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 275
Thanks: 51
Thanked 119 Times in 87 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to JDMChris
Changing your oil, or adding a oil cooler doesn't require a re-tune.
JDMChris is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JDMChris For This Useful Post:
go_a_way1 (11-09-2016)
Old 11-09-2016, 01:11 PM   #14
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore
 
go_a_way1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 9,827
Thanks: 14,918
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganGirl View Post
I am going with a custom tune, would I have to get retuned if I switched to using a different oil weight? I'm not sure if what would cause having to get retuned. I know my boyfriend wants to get different headers and then he will get retuned, is it the same if I put a different oil in or add an oil cooler down the road? Do both of those require retune?
No retune will be required for that
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1GiantTurtle View Post
This thread got de-railed quick now it's just about Penis guitars
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Changing spark plugs Scenic Driver Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) 264 01-19-2023 12:22 AM
Spark plugs for turbo whitefrs Forced Induction 88 05-05-2018 09:18 PM
NGK OEM Equivalent Spark Plugs? wparsons Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 10 05-12-2016 01:09 PM
Spark plugs Triumphrider Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 12 06-19-2014 10:47 AM
spark plugs subaruferrucci Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 22 04-10-2013 11:24 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2024 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.