follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-23-2014, 09:00 PM   #85
dz93
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Drives: toyota 86
Location: australia
Posts: 46
Thanks: 1
Thanked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
UPDATE:

today i received one of the DACs i bought.
tested and it works.

i had the nexus with the split otg cable
powered from laptop and a USB HUB connected to the usb end.
the HUB has the DAC connected aswell as a thumbdrive with music on it.
headphones into the dac playing music from the thumb drive and it worked

the only thing is, idk why.. (dont really care cause it doesnt effect my setup)
when i plug my headphones directly into my nexus.
no otg, no power cable or anything i dont get any sound. maybe theres a setting to tell the nexus theres no external dac connected?

Anyways i think this should all work.
USB HUB will have:
-DAC
-Ardiuno
-Thumbdrive (maybe.. still have the option of thumb drive directly to sony headunit)

The only thing im worrying about now is the install.
Ideally id like to be able to remove it as it can get pretty hot where i am.
The audio shop has suggested i get a audison bit 10 processor.
however i dont know how the audio would connect to it.
dz93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:08 PM   #86
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver
 
Sojhinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Drives: Limited Red 6MT BRZ
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,242
Thanks: 753
Thanked 1,167 Times in 644 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz93 View Post
UPDATE:

today i received one of the DACs i bought.
tested and it works.

i had the nexus with the split otg cable
powered from laptop and a USB HUB connected to the usb end.
the HUB has the DAC connected aswell as a thumbdrive with music on it.
headphones into the dac playing music from the thumb drive and it worked

the only thing is, idk why.. (dont really care cause it doesnt effect my setup)
when i plug my headphones directly into my nexus.
no otg, no power cable or anything i dont get any sound. maybe theres a setting to tell the nexus theres no external dac connected?

Anyways i think this should all work.
USB HUB will have:
-DAC
-Ardiuno
-Thumbdrive (maybe.. still have the option of thumb drive directly to sony headunit)

The only thing im worrying about now is the install.
Ideally id like to be able to remove it as it can get pretty hot where i am.
The audio shop has suggested i get a audison bit 10 processor.
however i dont know how the audio would connect to it.

What temperatures are we talking about? Also why the processor?
__________________
Nicknamed Lightning by my Kids.

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Sojhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:29 PM   #87
dz93
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Drives: toyota 86
Location: australia
Posts: 46
Thanks: 1
Thanked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
not everyday but temperatures can be 30+ (degrees celcius)

as for the processor, ive seen a couple other people use them.
im not all that interested as i want to spend as little as possible and dont think i need it.


but they'll give off great sound.
my friend doing an ipad install..
he is getting a cord that goes from the ipad and splits into rca's
the rca's into the processor (no headunit) then onward to the amps.
dz93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:40 PM   #88
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver
 
Sojhinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Drives: Limited Red 6MT BRZ
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,242
Thanks: 753
Thanked 1,167 Times in 644 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I'm in Southern California and I get similar temps. I haven't had issues yet but I can understand your concern. I think you should save you money for the processor if you don't like the sound then maybe buy it.
__________________
Nicknamed Lightning by my Kids.

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Sojhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:06 AM   #89
dz93
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Drives: toyota 86
Location: australia
Posts: 46
Thanks: 1
Thanked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
yeah thats what im going to do in regards to the processor.

ive just ordered parts to build the arduino board
sony head unit should arrive in the next couple days.

all i need to do is figure out how to make the nexus start the arduino sequence upon power up.
i dont know how to get in contact with that guy though cause i cant sign up to that mp3 audio website without text message verification. commented on the youtube video.
see what happens.
dz93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:32 AM   #90
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver
 
Sojhinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Drives: Limited Red 6MT BRZ
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,242
Thanks: 753
Thanked 1,167 Times in 644 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz93 View Post
yeah thats what im going to do in regards to the processor.

ive just ordered parts to build the arduino board
sony head unit should arrive in the next couple days.

all i need to do is figure out how to make the nexus start the arduino sequence upon power up.
i dont know how to get in contact with that guy though cause i cant sign up to that mp3 audio website without text message verification. commented on the youtube video.
see what happens.


I believe you download an app called tasker. And it lets you choose a series of events that start when the tablet receives power.
__________________
Nicknamed Lightning by my Kids.

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Sojhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:40 AM   #91
dz93
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Drives: toyota 86
Location: australia
Posts: 46
Thanks: 1
Thanked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Yeah sorry.
I've got tasked installed. Just not quite sure which event I have to 'task' etc.
I'm sure it will all become clear once I've got the board put together and plugged in.
Here's hoping for a all round perfect install!
dz93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:59 AM   #92
dz93
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Drives: toyota 86
Location: australia
Posts: 46
Thanks: 1
Thanked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojhinn View Post
Also if those don't work I'll buy a good one and send it to you.
just out of curiosity how much would this cost? (also note im in australia)
i received 2 different DACs. Can't remembere atm but i know one had a little bit of white noise if you listen carefully and i think the other made a 'click' sound when connected/receiving power.

-Do i need a dac that is aux out or can it be rca out, because i dont think head units have an rca input?
-I might end up buying a processor if im unhappy with the sound but would i still use the DAC to clean up the sound before going to the processor or not use one and leave it up to the processor?

This DAC seems decent giving rca and headphone output.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Portable-...0f7db2a&_uhb=1

*side note, car arrives in a couple days.
dz93 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dz93 For This Useful Post:
Sojhinn (03-30-2014)
Old 03-30-2014, 10:42 AM   #93
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver
 
Sojhinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Drives: Limited Red 6MT BRZ
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,242
Thanks: 753
Thanked 1,167 Times in 644 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz93 View Post
just out of curiosity how much would this cost? (also note im in australia)
i received 2 different DACs. Can't remembere atm but i know one had a little bit of white noise if you listen carefully and i think the other made a 'click' sound when connected/receiving power.

-Do i need a dac that is aux out or can it be rca out, because i dont think head units have an rca input?
-I might end up buying a processor if im unhappy with the sound but would i still use the DAC to clean up the sound before going to the processor or not use one and leave it up to the processor?

This DAC seems decent giving rca and headphone output.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Portable-...0f7db2a&_uhb=1

*side note, car arrives in a couple days.

My dac makes a clicking noise on restarts of the nexus 7 other then that it works great. I'd imagine the cost to ship and buy is around 15-20 dollars. Also I still believe you should try it and see if you like it. Good luck with the install.
__________________
Nicknamed Lightning by my Kids.

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Sojhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:54 AM   #94
dz93
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Drives: toyota 86
Location: australia
Posts: 46
Thanks: 1
Thanked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
....reconsidering

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...02#post1654102
dz93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:09 PM   #95
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver
 
Sojhinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Drives: Limited Red 6MT BRZ
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,242
Thanks: 753
Thanked 1,167 Times in 644 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz93 View Post

Easier but not as customizable. Not a bad option.
__________________
Nicknamed Lightning by my Kids.

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Sojhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:16 PM   #96
Namuna
Senior Member
 
Namuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Location: NY/NJ
Posts: 273
Thanks: 182
Thanked 173 Times in 89 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz93 View Post
I saw that thread as well and also thought that might be a decent alternative...UNTIL I saw the cost ($533) and the fact it's only a single-core 1GHz processor (vs. quad-core 1.5GHz of the Nexus7 2013).
__________________
Namuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:21 PM   #97
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver
 
Sojhinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Drives: Limited Red 6MT BRZ
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,242
Thanks: 753
Thanked 1,167 Times in 644 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namuna View Post
I saw that thread as well and also thought that might be a decent alternative...UNTIL I saw the cost ($533) and the fact it's only a single-core 1GHz processor (vs. quad-core 1.5GHz of the Nexus7 2013).

Ouch yeah that's nuts.
__________________
Nicknamed Lightning by my Kids.

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Sojhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:27 PM   #98
Andrew025
Senior Member
 
Andrew025's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Drives: Neptune GR86
Location: Portland
Posts: 3,862
Thanks: 1,438
Thanked 3,505 Times in 1,806 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namuna View Post
I saw that thread as well and also thought that might be a decent alternative...UNTIL I saw the cost ($533) and the fact it's only a single-core 1GHz processor (vs. quad-core 1.5GHz of the Nexus7 2013).
But if it works well, does it really matter?
__________________
Andrew025 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Well that was easy... FRyeS Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 17 10-15-2013 11:04 AM
Nexus 7 in FR-S/BRZ DjDATZ Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment 4 06-09-2013 08:10 PM
Nexus 7 Car Audio DIY thejevans Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment 32 05-10-2013 03:55 PM
How easy/difficult is it to keep WRB "clean"? ayau Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) 32 06-17-2012 10:17 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2024 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.