follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List
go_a_way1, MisterSheep, Sarlacc

Old 12-23-2015, 02:20 AM   #659
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KR-S 86 View Post
I mean, I could do Intel, but that would make for a more expensive build. The A10-7850K and 7870K are APUs, which means that they have both CPU and GPU capability in one chip. Intel chips technically has GPU capability, but they absolutely fail in comparison to the Kaveri and Godavari APUs, which means I'll have to use a graphics card (no problem as I've got a GTX 650 Ti Boost that was in my main rig).

To be honest, I had a 7850K, but it seemed to have failed due to me using too much thermal paste. I still have all the parts for it, but if Intel is really that much better, then I will take it into consideration, though this will be running SteamOS exclusively and nothing else.

Ahh, I should have mentioned that this would also have been used for gaming and would have exclusively run SteamOS, as I mentioned above.
Well, if you're just replacing a CPU, I guess you can go cheap. I wouldn't expect thermal paste to kill a CPU, not anymore. Should shut the system off before the CPU fries. I think you just got good old AMD technology.

SteamOS? How many people even use that? I read it performs much worse than Windows.

As for broken CPUs with aftermarket heatsinks, well, that's the problem of the person who buys some weird-ass heatsink. That's like people who say, "I put a turbo on my car and now it done broke!"

I just keep having Intel systems stack up. If they die, it's because of something unrelated to Intel, like a dropped screw or bad solder for the Nvidia GPU.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EAGLE5 For This Useful Post:
KR-S (12-23-2015)
Old 12-23-2015, 09:23 AM   #660
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
The only AMD system I ever bought was the least reliable and least compatible system I've ever owned. Considering how cheap Intel systems are, there is essentially zero reason to get an AMD system. If you're going for a phone, many other chip makers have great stuff, but for PC? Intel 100%.
Interesting experience. I've built dozens of PCs over the years, and about 50% were AMD back in the day when the price delta was just too big to ignore, and never had a single compatibility issue with an AMD. I will say that if the price delta is small though I usually buy the Intel chip.

I've also always used ATI/AMD video cards, going back to the "EGA Wonder" card.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".

Last edited by Dadhawk; 12-23-2015 at 03:21 PM.
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
KR-S (12-23-2015)
Old 12-23-2015, 09:38 AM   #661
Sideways
BRZZZZZ

Drives: 2013 BRZ Whiteout
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
The only AMD system I ever bought was the least reliable and least compatible system I've ever owned. Considering how cheap Intel systems are, there is essentially zero reason to get an AMD system. If you're going for a phone, many other chip makers have great stuff, but for PC? Intel 100%.
Even I feel the same. I have had two amd systems in the past and they both failed eventually. On the other hand, I still have one system running i7 990x that I got even before it got released to market around 6 years ago and its still running strong without any failure. I know intel system cost just a little more than amd, but they hold there value more than amd and lost longer than amd to justify spending little extra.
Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sideways For This Useful Post:
KR-S (12-23-2015)
Old 12-23-2015, 11:42 AM   #662
EAGLE5
Dismember

Garage
My constantly crashing nas4free amd box is now a rock solid i3 box. I will never buy amd again.
Old 12-23-2015, 12:36 PM   #663
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,845 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
LOL wtf. Thanks for the laugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radroach View Post
Also from a political standpoint, I don't support Intel as I think they are part of Israeli spy programs and are purposefully building in backdoors for NSA, and coding in hardware DRM, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 12:47 PM   #664
Andrew025

Drives: Neptune GR86
Thanked 3,505 Times in 1,806 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat View Post
LOL wtf. Thanks for the laugh.
This ^^^

I'd like to know why he thinks that...
Old 12-23-2015, 12:59 PM   #665
Vladimir Tutin

Drives: '13 Hot-Lava FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Well, if you're just replacing a CPU, I guess you can go cheap. I wouldn't expect thermal paste to kill a CPU, not anymore. Should shut the system off before the CPU fries. I think you just got good old AMD technology.

SteamOS? How many people even use that? I read it performs much worse than Windows.

As for broken CPUs with aftermarket heatsinks, well, that's the problem of the person who buys some weird-ass heatsink. That's like people who say, "I put a turbo on my car and now it done broke!"

I just keep having Intel systems stack up. If they die, it's because of something unrelated to Intel, like a dropped screw or bad solder for the Nvidia GPU.
I have a buddy that literally killed their CPU with thermal paste a month ago. But to be fair he emptied a whole tube of it onto the CPU.
Vladimir Tutin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 01:30 PM   #666
fumanchu1

Drives: 2013 Brz C38 (bought not built :P)
Thanked 1,249 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladimir Tutin View Post
I have a buddy that literally killed their CPU with thermal paste a month ago. But to be fair he emptied a whole tube of it onto the CPU.
also depends on the thermal paste type, kind of hard to short a chip when using a non conductive thermal paste (ceramic and others)
fumanchu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 01:35 PM   #667
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
@Clipdat
@jsimon7777
@Andrew025

Let's see what we've got going on in 2015: Windows 10 = spyware botnet, NSA has backdoors in every (FCC approved) modern phone and chipset, the good majority of our computer chips, by Intel, are designed in Israel. It makes sense that one of the NSA's strategies is to embed backdoors and spying tech into these chips. It would make sense that the NSA can outsource its development of spying tech to Israel to protect itself from public scrutiny. And Israel absolutely has a stake in having a strong spying / hacking industry, see the reasoning for the stuxnet worm attack.

If you want more info, just look at what Richard Stallman - founder of GNU, and his rejection of nonfree technology. He uses some weird russian MIPS-processor laptop and custom GNU/Linux, won't even touch a windows/mac/x86 based machine because it's already compromised out of the factory. http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/can-you-trust.en.html

I hope to not jack the thread any further!
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 03:38 PM   #668
fumanchu1

Quote:
@Clipdat
@jsimon7777
@Andrew025

Let's see what we've got going on in 2015: Windows 10 = spyware botnet, NSA has backdoors in every (FCC approved) modern phone and chipset, the good majority of our computer chips, by Intel, are designed in Israel. It makes sense that one of the NSA's strategies is to embed backdoors and spying tech into these chips. It would make sense that the NSA can outsource its development of spying tech to Israel to protect itself from public scrutiny. And Israel absolutely has a stake in having a strong spying / hacking industry, see the reasoning for the stuxnet worm attack.

If you want more info, just look at what Richard Stallman - founder of GNU, and his rejection of nonfree technology. He uses some weird russian MIPS-processor laptop and custom GNU/Linux, won't even touch a windows/mac/x86 based machine because it's already compromised out of the factory. http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/can-you-trust.en.html

You should probably take off the tin foil hat and take your medication
The Following User Says Thank You to fumanchu1 For This Useful Post:
EAGLE5 (12-23-2015)
Old 12-23-2015, 03:48 PM   #669
EAGLE5
Dismember

Garage
So, to answer my question, yes, you are paranoid much. If the government seriously wanted to watch what you're doing, having an AMD chip or some Russian MIPS wouldn't make a damned bit of difference.

Quote:
@Clipdat
@jsimon7777
@Andrew025

The Following User Says Thank You to EAGLE5 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (12-23-2015)
Old 12-23-2015, 03:54 PM   #670
elBarto

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Old 12-23-2015, 04:28 PM   #671
fumanchu1

also
The Following User Says Thank You to fumanchu1 For This Useful Post:
Vladimir Tutin (12-23-2015)
Old 12-24-2015, 01:29 PM   #672
KR-S
Sporadic Member

Drives: 2016 Halo FR-S M/T
Thanked 3,552 Times in 1,746 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
So, Steam Winter sale. Anyone buying any more shit?

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thILxw6wBJE"]STEAM HOLIDAY SALE IS COMING - YouTube[/ame]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HueyLooie View Post
Nah, homes. It's your dadda's hot goopey goop.
KR-S is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pc master race, u no have 3080