follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Southern California

Southern California SoCal

User Tag List

Old 06-23-2015, 12:43 AM   #1
Captain.K

Drives: 2015 FRS Firestorm Red
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Anyone know of a good place to get windows tinted?

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone knows of any good/reputable places for a tint, and some advice about what percentage tint I should get because I know tinting the front windows is illegal here but it looks better when all of them are at least close to looking like the same shade of black. How much would a normal tint cost? I've called a couple of places and prices vary significantly.

Second question: Should I vinyl wrap my roof? if so how much does it typically cost to get something like that done in a gloss black finish?

thanks
Captain.K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 12:52 AM   #2
azynneo

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain.K View Post
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone knows of any good/reputable places for a tint, and some advice about what percentage tint I should get because I know tinting the front windows is illegal here but it looks better when all of them are at least close to looking like the same shade of black. How much would a normal tint cost? I've called a couple of places and prices vary significantly.

Second question: Should I vinyl wrap my roof? if so how much does it typically cost to get something like that done in a gloss black finish?

thanks
I think fuzion teknique charges 120$ for the roof vinyl
azynneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 01:13 AM   #3
ryoma

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
go for like 25% tint all around. I currently have 18% tint all around and it looks pretty dark from the outside, you might get some cop troubles from it if you live in a larger city. I have pictures of it in my build thread if you want to see how dark it looks
Old 06-23-2015, 07:41 PM   #4
Captain.K

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoma View Post
go for like 25% tint all around. I currently have 18% tint all around and it looks pretty dark from the outside, you might get some cop troubles from it if you live in a larger city. I have pictures of it in my build thread if you want to see how dark it looks
Yea I like the dark look but not too dark I want people to be able to see at least a silhouette of me sorta haha and what benefit does that tint have that you currently have on your 86, was it more pricey?
Old 06-23-2015, 07:51 PM   #5
ryoma

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Yea I like the dark look but not too dark I want people to be able to see at least a silhouette of me sorta haha and what benefit does that tint have that you currently have on your 86, was it more pricey?
the tint I got just blocks out more UV than the normal tint it was about $30 more expensive than the normal tint, so I went with it. I live in a desert basically where it gets over 120F in the summer. need as much tint as I can get. today was 113F, it get ridiculous over here.
Old 06-25-2015, 02:31 PM   #6
jbailey8748

Drives: 2013 Satin White Pearl BRZ
Garage
You know the windows already block 100%uv. It's something vehicles in the US have been doing for several years now

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
jbailey8748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 04:11 PM   #7
N1rve

Drives: 2019 BMW ///M4
Thanked 1,167 Times in 714 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
G5 in Alhambra

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
N1rve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 04:54 PM   #8
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbailey8748 View Post
You know the windows already block 100%uv. It's something vehicles in the US have been doing for several years now
FALSE.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/09/06/n...ainst-uv-rays/

Quote:
know tinting the front windows is illegal here but it looks better when all of them are at least close to looking like the same shade of black.
If you want a dark tint, yes it's illegal. But you can tint the front windows if you are not going for a dark look. You should look up what is allowed so you know what to expect, and not just get a BS "front window tint is illegal" ticket without knowing what is actually allowed.

3M Crystalline 70 all around on my car:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...27&postcount=4

I loved it so much, I've subsequently spent $1500 on two more cars with the same tint.

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
BRZfan619 (10-18-2015), Octoman (07-09-2015)
Old 06-25-2015, 04:59 PM   #9
Vincenttam
WtsTofu

Drives: Ultramarine fr-s
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
I found some scruffy, rough clear coating on the top of my car. Probably from the sun?? But i dont park my car outside often long enough. Time for a roof wrap i guess.
Vincenttam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:59 PM   #10
Captain.K

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
FALSE.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/09/06/n...ainst-uv-rays/

If you want a dark tint, yes it's illegal. But you can tint the front windows if you are not going for a dark look. You should look up what is allowed so you know what to expect, and not just get a BS "front window tint is illegal" ticket without knowing what is actually allowed.

3M Crystalline 70 all around on my car:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...27&postcount=4

I loved it so much, I've subsequently spent $1500 on two more cars with the same tint.

-alex
yea I know a dark tint is illegal but it looks nice and my Friend and I got pulled over and ticketed even though he has a 35% tint and his interior is white so I was pretty shocked and asked the officer isn't it ok to have this percentage for a tint and he said any tint that isn't transparent is illegal such as colored tints(black, blue, red, mirror) so we went to court to try and contest it but we got the same answer :/
Old 06-28-2015, 04:28 AM   #11
Calidrifter
@Executive_chicken

Drives: Firestorm FR-S, Audi A3 E-tron
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

thanks
I got mine done at Tint Master City in Canoga Park. Great service and turnaround time (I waited in their office while they worked on my car).

http://www.yelp.com/biz/tint-master-city-canoga-park

I only did the front as the rear on my car came tinted (25%) from the dealer. I want to say that I paid like $125 for the 30% front. I have had this set up on all my cars and have not had an issue with police. Ever.

As far as wrapping the roof its your car so if you want to do it go for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyn View Post
That guy, like me after BBQ Thursdays, is full of shit.
Calidrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 09:14 PM   #12
Captain.K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calidrifter View Post
I got mine done at Tint Master City in Canoga Park. Great service and turnaround time (I waited in their office while they worked on my car).

http://www.yelp.com/biz/tint-master-city-canoga-park

I only did the front as the rear on my car came tinted (25%) from the dealer. I want to say that I paid like $125 for the 30% front. I have had this set up on all my cars and have not had an issue with police. Ever.

As far as wrapping the roof its your car so if you want to do it go for it.
Cool, Did it come with a lifetime warranty? and is the 25% too dark??
Old 06-30-2015, 01:00 PM   #13
MJones_RB

Drives: Scion FR-S Series 10 #2462
Garage
ES Sports in Gardena does 3M Crystalline tint install. i was quoted about $800 for the rear window & side windows. I am more concerned about blocking heat out since our windows have some amount of UV blockage. Black interior tends so soak up radiant heat and makes for a toasty seat. I like how the Crystalline can block out heat even without a dark tinting. Seems pricey to me but with a lifetime guarantee I guess it's worth it.
MJones_RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 01:10 PM   #14
Milotic
Turbo Zed

Drives: Silver 2016 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
[Just as a % reference since I got it done in San Diego]
I did 55% since I didn't want to go past 50%. (Their next level was 33%) For the 7 Windows they charged me $200 cash and did a decent job. Came with a lifetime warranty and a $40 re-tint if I have to strip it.

Milotic is offline   Reply With Quote