follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-13-2017, 12:03 AM   #1
Armin93

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
After installing UEL PSR headers

My exhaust got very loud and raspy after putting on the headers
Now i have messaged ft86speed factory asking them for a solution and they told me hks dual resonated front pipe will most likely fix the problem
Is anyone running this front pipe? How does it compare to the stock front pipe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Armin93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 01:48 AM   #2
Wise
Circle Work Clerk

Drives: 2012 Mt. Fuji Red Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
You're taking out a catalytic converter by putting on PSR UEL Headers so your exhaust is naturally going to sound raspier.

WOuld be worth knowing what catback and front pipe you have on at the moment.

An HKS catless front pipe is probably just going to make your car louder (Regardless of whether it's dual resonated) and raspier since that will get rid of the other cat.
Wise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wise For This Useful Post:
Armin93 (04-13-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 04:53 AM   #3
Armin93

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Well i'm running stock front pipe with greddy sp elite axle back
I was told rasping was caused because of the not so good quality of the mid pipe and front pipe

Armin93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:27 AM   #4
dattran86
Driver

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin93 View Post
Well i'm running stock front pipe with greddy sp elite axle back
I was told rasping was caused because of the not so good quality of the mid pipe and front pipe

stock FP is probably the most quite FP out there, so you probably want to keep that. you probably wont see a much different in noise level when you upgrade to the HKS FP.

But a Catless header pair with just an axle back wouldn't be very raspy. and you have a very quite axle back as well.

Assuming you still have your oem FP and Midpipe, Keep the exaust system like this for a couple weeks you will get use to the noise level.

Trust me, whenever you do an exhaust mod at first you always think its too loud but give it a month and you'll probably thinking to yourself its too quite now.

Not trying to knock a sale away from Ft86SpeedFactory, those guy are awesome and have huge support for our platform. but the HKS likely won't fix your problem. you can sell the current header and grab a Catted header is a better investment than a new Front pipe

Last edited by dattran86; 04-13-2017 at 10:49 AM.
dattran86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dattran86 For This Useful Post:
Armin93 (04-14-2017), Teseo (04-13-2017)
Old 04-14-2017, 07:48 PM   #5
Xxyion
Lowly Cartuber

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2005 Honda S2000
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin93 View Post
My exhaust got very loud and raspy after putting on the headers
Now i have messaged ft86speed factory asking them for a solution and they told me hks dual resonated front pipe will most likely fix the problem
Is anyone running this front pipe? How does it compare to the stock front pipe

As the other member said. Not only are you removing a Cat, the header you bought is also probably thinner. Thinner walls will create rasp. Another thing is there is now heat shield which helps reduce volume and rasp.

The best solution to reduce volume and rasp is to do one of a few things.

Go back to stock header
Switch out your Catback Exhaust for something quieter like the Q300, R400, Perrin Ressonated 2.5" CBE or the 2.5" Nameless Axelback with 5" Muffler.
Sell your current header and buy a catted header.

There is nothing quieter than our stock front pipe. I have switched mine out for the JDL ultra quiet which has a high flow cat and resonator and its still louder than stock.
2016 Limited MT WR Blue BRZ | Delicious Flash n Go Tune | Delicious Flex Fuel Kit | Nameless 2.5" with 5" Mufflers | JDL UEL Headers | Bayson R Diffuser/Side Skirts | APR Front Splitter | VIS Racing GT Wing | ST Suspension Coilovers | Grammlights Rays 57CR 17x9 +38 | Sumitomo HTR Z iii 235/45/17 |
Xxyion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:26 PM   #6
Wise
Circle Work Clerk

Drives: 2012 Mt. Fuji Red Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xxyion View Post
As the other member said. Not only are you removing a Cat, the header you bought is also probably thinner. Thinner walls will create rasp. Another thing is there is now heat shield which helps reduce volume and rasp.

The best solution to reduce volume and rasp is to do one of a few things.

Go back to stock header
Switch out your Catback Exhaust for something quieter like the Q300, R400, Perrin Ressonated 2.5" CBE or the 2.5" Nameless Axelback with 5" Muffler.
Sell your current header and buy a catted header.

There is nothing quieter than our stock front pipe. I have switched mine out for the JDL ultra quiet which has a high flow cat and resonator and its still louder than stock.

Yeah agreed. Swap your catback for a Q300 and keep your stock FP and the PSR headers.

I've got Tomei UEL headers which are pretty much the same as the PSR's plus a Q300/stock FP combo and the noise is noticebly better than stock, but not too loud or raspy. The only time I ever hear rasp is through first gear if I launch it on a cold day.
Wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:50 PM   #7
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,602 Times in 2,937 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
If it helps any, I have the Nameless EL headers, catted and resonated front pipe, and the HKS legamax sport catback and it's very quiet of a set up. I had the Q300 on before but after 2 years, it was wearing down and becoming very loud. The HKS made it super quiet at idol and low rpms. Little to no rasp, too.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 02:44 PM   #8
zc06_kisstherain

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
is this your first modified sports car?
It's loud but it's not super duper loud in my opinion.
since you already had your stock front pipe, try switching to stock catback. or like others mentioned get Q300 or quieter exhaust but little louder than stock.
zc06_kisstherain is offline   Reply With Quote