follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 03-10-2022, 05:26 PM   #1
Cephas

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86 (860 SE)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The Actually Helpful TPMS Thread

I have what should be a simple problem, but I have read and searched all afternoon on this forum and others, with the result that I now have more questions than answers. And from the look at the few dozen threads on the topic that I've read, I'm not alone.

But I'm a solutions guy, so let's make this a solutions thread. I'll open the floor with my situation, but will update this post with more problems/solutions as we go.

First a few ground rules:
  1. This is for DIY solutions, not "just take it to the dealer."
  2. "Just tape over it" bros will be ̶i̶n̶s̶t̶a̶b̶a̶n̶n̶e̶d̶ mercilessly heckled.
  3. Please provide specific, first-person solutions (e.g. "I used this tool to solve this problem and here's how) not just methods or things you've read about/heard.

The New Wheelset With Preinstalled Sensors Problem (1G)
Scenario: I ordered a new set of tires and rims, complete with pre-installed TPMS sensors. Since I have a first-gen, my ECU can only handle one set of sensors at a time (second-gens can take two sets, which is nifty). I'll be swapping back to the OEM wheels come winter, so I need to either
  1. Clone the stock sensors to my second wheelset, or
  2. Update the sensor IDs in the ECU each time I swap wheels

Option 1 seems less likely, since I have yet to come across a tool that can clone a sensor when it is already installed. If I've missed one, please educate me!

Option 2 should be straightforward enough, except I can't seem to find any sort of consensus on what tool is best for the job. Can Techstream actually do it? Carista? Torque? A specific tool from ATEQ?

SOLUTION: I ordered a Carista dongle, and used it (for free, no plan required) to retrieve the OEM TMPS IDs, which I saved in a Google Doc. Then I installed the new wheelset, drove to Discount Tire, and had them scan the new sensors (already installed in the wheels) and load them into the ECU. Then I pulled those IDs with Carista and saved them. Come winter, I'll use the paid Carista app to swap IDs when I put the stock wheels back on. Success!

Last edited by Cephas; 04-12-2022 at 10:10 AM.
Cephas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 01:33 PM   #2
Wally86
Be Kind

Drives: 2020 86
Thanked 1,255 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
After a sensor broke in my FA5 and honda wanted $200 for a replacement, I vowed to never deal with it. Long story short, I didn't want a TPMS light on in the 86 when I got different wheels.

Tool purchased: Autel TS408
Using the autel, I can read sensors and sensor information. What this allowed me to do is get the OEM TPMS IDs. It can also program the autel MX sensors...

Sensors purchased: Autel MX programmable sensors
I have three sets of wheels and minus the OEMs, they all have these sensors in them and are all programmed to match the OEM TPMS IDs. Now I can switch wheel sets and never had to do any programming. I just pick the wheels I need to throw on and the TPMS system is happy.

Total price for tool: $149
Total price per wheel set: $130
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wally86 For This Useful Post:
Cephas (03-12-2022), H380 (03-17-2022), Ohio Enthusiast (03-11-2022), ymshulman (03-11-2022)
Old 03-11-2022, 09:35 PM   #3
EndlessAzure
Wheels for Brains

Drives: '14 FR-S [37J] | Daily/Track
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cephas View Post
I have what should be a simple problem, but I have read and searched all afternoon on this forum and others, with the result that I now have more questions than answers. And from the look at the few dozen threads on the topic that I've read, I'm not alone.

But I'm a solutions guy, so let's make this a solutions thread. I'll open the floor with my situation, but will update this post with more problems/solutions as we go.

First a few ground rules:
  1. This is for DIY solutions, not "just take it to the dealer."
  2. "Just tape over it" bros will be ̶i̶n̶s̶t̶a̶b̶a̶n̶n̶e̶d̶ mercilessly heckled.
  3. Please provide specific, first-person solutions (e.g. "I used this tool to solve this problem and here's how) not just methods or things you've read about/heard.

The New Wheelset With Preinstalled Sensors Problem (1G)
Scenario: I have a new set of tires and rims coming, complete with pre-installed TPMS sensors. Since I have a first-gen, I know I my ECU can only handle one set of sensors at a time (second-gens can take two sets, which is nifty). I'll be swapping back to the OEM wheels come winter, so I need to either
  1. Clone the stock sensors to my second wheelset, or
  2. Update the sensor IDs in the ECU each time I swap wheels

Option 1 seems less likely, since I have yet to come across a tool that can clone a sensor when it is already installed. If I've missed one, please educate me!

Option 2 should be straightforward enough, except I can't seem to find any sort of consensus on what tool is best for the job. Can Techstream actually do it? Carista? Torque? A specific tool from ATEQ?

Whatcha got? Thanks in advance.
Carista can handle a TPMS ID change. So can Techstream and ATEQ. They all do the same thing: they talk through CAN protocol to access and update those values on the ECU,

So what you need is to write down or otherwise access the individual TPMS ID #'s (they are usually printed on the TPMS itself) before you put tires on the wheel. Anytime you swap wheels, update all 4 TPMS IDs

If you haven't written down the IDs and already put the tires over them, then either:
  1. You need to get the TPMS ID read remotely (either you need your own radio scan tool or go to a shop to have them use their tool)
  2. Air-out the tire, dismount it far enough to peek in, and write down the TPMS ID (again either you do this yourself or go to the shop. If you're already at the shop, just have them use their tool)
EndlessAzure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EndlessAzure For This Useful Post:
Cephas (03-12-2022)
Old 03-12-2022, 02:33 PM   #4
Cephas

^ Okay cool. All the threads I read (and on Carista's own site) seemed ambiguous on whether they could actually change the TPMS IDs, or only read them. Thanks!
Old 03-13-2022, 12:15 AM   #5
EndlessAzure
Wheels for Brains

Garage
Quote:
^ Okay cool. All the threads I read (and on Carista's own site) seemed ambiguous on whether they could actually change the TPMS IDs, or only read them. Thanks!
No problem. I've personally used Carista a few times. Paying $10 bucks now and then for me is a better cost proposition rather than paying $120 for an ATEQ, since I don't swap sensors that often.

Having convenient access to the dealership customizations is also nice (door bell chimes, dome light auto shut-off time, etc.) without having to go bootleg with Techstream
Cephas (03-16-2022)
Old 03-16-2022, 12:20 PM   #6
Wally86
Be Kind

Drives: 2020 86
Thanked 1,255 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessAzure View Post
No problem. I've personally used Carista a few times. Paying $10 bucks now and then for me is a better cost proposition rather than paying $120 for an ATEQ, since I don't swap sensors that often.

Having convenient access to the dealership customizations is also nice (door bell chimes, dome light auto shut-off time, etc.) without having to go bootleg with Techstream

I bought a carista thinking I'd just use it every once in a while but being on my 5th set of wheels, I figured it was easier to just put the same sensor IDs in all the wheels lol

It was nice to disable the passenger seatbelt chime when you throw your phone on the seat!
Old 03-16-2022, 10:44 PM   #7
EndlessAzure
Wheels for Brains

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally86 View Post
I bought a carista thinking I'd just use it every once in a while but being on my 5th set of wheels, I figured it was easier to just put the same sensor IDs in all the wheels lol

It was nice to disable the passenger seatbelt chime when you throw your phone on the seat!

I think to clarify, I have a generic Bluetooth OBDII adapter (you don't need to buy the Carista branded adapter).

I just pay for a premium software access window (via the free App) on Android when I need it.
Wally86 (03-17-2022)
Old 03-22-2022, 11:32 AM   #8
saltywetman

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT 6M
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Cloning is most convient way. There should be some devices that can pull your TPMS codes from the obd port. The ateq quickset does it but also can flash new codes for swaps. I'm sure a local tire shop can read the code for you for and clone a set of programmable sensors for u
saltywetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 08:11 PM   #9
colinshark

Drives: Some RX-7s
ATEQ Quickset works nice for me, and is cheap (~$70 on ebay).

It can read sensor codes from the car's ECU, and can store 2 sets of codes in the unit. For new sensors, you punch in the codes via software+laptop. Henceforth, at each seasonal tire change, you hook the plain unit to up to ODB (no laptop) and write codes to the car. It's a snap.
colinshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 01:00 AM   #10
ItsReiko

Drives: 2017 subaru brz
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
If we are purchasing a set of wheel/tire combo from Tirerack with pre-installed TPMS sensors, can we just go to an America's Tire and have them program the aftermarket sensors to work without issues? (I read another thread somewhere that it isn't this easy)

Also if the TMPS already comes pre-installed within the tire and wheels, how will they get to it/read it for the programming?
ItsReiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 08:59 AM   #11
Cephas

^ I went to Discount Tire and they had a reader that could pick up the IDs from next to the wheel and flash them into the ECU. Easy peasy.
Old 04-12-2022, 08:22 PM   #12
ItsReiko

Drives: 2017 subaru brz
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
^ I went to Discount Tire and they had a reader that could pick up the IDs from next to the wheel and flash them into the ECU. Easy peasy.
Oh sick! That would make it much easier. I had read elsewhere you have to ask Tirerack to send you the codes before mounting the tires etc etc. Guess I'll go ahead and order the full set mounted and just drive to my local Discount Tire.
ItsReiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 04:35 PM   #13
SuperTom

Drives: C5 Corvette, '17 Toyota 86, Jeep XJ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
How much did they charge you?
Old 05-10-2022, 08:34 AM   #14
Cephas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTom View Post
How much did they charge you?
Zero dollars. I dunno if that's an everywhere thing, or just my local place. They did a flat repair for me for free too, even though I didn't buy the tires from them. Go figure!

Tags
carista, techstream, tire pressure, tpms