follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 11-02-2015, 12:08 PM   #715
BRZoomTX

Drives: '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofuts View Post
When i touch the hood after a drive, middle of the hood is cool, sides and corners are hot, especially around headlamp and top of fenders. That makes me think hot air circulated in the engine bay finds an air flow through sides, starting near headlamps and go through a closed line out of the engine bay, and gets out from the corners of the black plastic (they are flexible and cut. they are olso relatively hotter after a drive) next to the windshield.
But the reason center of the hood is colder might be because of the woven spongy heat shield kind of thing under the hood.

I really dont want to get a vented hood because they look too aggressive. So considering fender garnish vents these days again but want to make sure if they will be effective enough.
I know fender garnish vents efficiency had been discussed many times before, and that there is no low pressure area there so it is not so effective. But never read anything related to that "hot line".
It might be close to a vented hood in terms of efficiency if there really is an air flow at the sides and can be directed out of these fender garnishes with a small duct.
Anyone has an idea about that?
My fender heat extractors work well enough at idle that it wouldn't matter how well they work when moving. They are an improvement over stock and that is what really counts. Heat literally pours out of them.

Maybe I can rig a thermometer setup; air temp directly by the fender vent and air temp somewhere else outside of the car which doesn't see direct air flow. I have no idea how I'd manage something like that to be accurate, but I think that is going to be the only real test.
Old 11-02-2015, 12:46 PM   #716
John Rambo

Drives: Turbo BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiske View Post
My project over this summer has been focus on cooling my setup so...
Very curious to see what your custom grille looks like. I wish my car didn't get to 215F coolant just cruising on the freeway when it's hotter than 95 out but it's a street car and I can't have the crash beam visible like that
John Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 02:51 PM   #717
FRS Johnny

Drives: 2013 FR-S Whiteout MT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rambo View Post
Very curious to see what your custom grille looks like. I wish my car didn't get to 215F coolant just cruising on the freeway when it's hotter than 95 out but it's a street car and I can't have the crash beam visible like that
Paint the bar black and it will blend right in. No one will notice it
Old 11-04-2015, 11:48 AM   #718
Hostile_Kittens

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Check this out.

$220 shipped from Japan. A weak yen is a good thing for us.
Hostile_Kittens is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hostile_Kittens For This Useful Post:
Lonewolf (05-25-2016)
Old 11-04-2015, 01:22 PM   #719
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Can we get that beatrush skid plate stickied? Because hot* damn thats alot cheaper than a vented hood.

No pun intended*
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
cdrazic93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 01:35 PM   #720
BatStig
Some say.....

Drives: 2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I don't remember who did it or where the thread is, but I swear that someone had done that themselves to the OE skid pan.
BatStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 05:52 PM   #721
AppleSauce

Drives: FR-S black. Buell XB12s 25th anniv.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatStig View Post
I don't remember who did it or where the thread is, but I swear that someone had done that themselves to the OE skid pan.
I was just planning on putting a couple extra holes in the oem pan. Does the vented one actually pull that much more air out? As much as a vented hood would?
Old 11-04-2015, 05:54 PM   #722
AJPG

Drives: 22RE, FA20, 4G63
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatStig View Post

Yes, but it wasn't pretty 😂

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AJPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 03:40 PM   #723
bem75
Round 3 Racing

Drives: Scion FR-S race car
Any new brilliant ideas in the last 6 months? We've been battling heat issues on a JRSC powered race car. Rules prohibit us from running hood vents, fender vents, or making any holes in the body work. I'm curious if anyone has come up with something new.
bem75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:50 PM   #724
Gutterboy

Drives: 2013 frs; 1988 porsche 944s - > 948
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
quick help

i've ran multiple searches and read about a dozen pages so far on this thread for heat control and haven't found anything to the effect of cooling a FI car after general use. beyond that standard minute or two cool down i'd like to have something set up similar to my old porsche 944s where even after you turn the car off the radiator fans kick in for at least 60 to 90 seconds. Whether this could actually be done with an ecu trick with an oft (most likely not) or some clever wiring changes and an additional relay; i think it could really help with solving some bad heat soak.

anyone know if this has already been done? my attempts at some forum search tool strings all failed on this but perhaps i don't have the right search phrase?
Gutterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 10:04 PM   #725
shiumai

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ, 2020 C8 Corvette
Thanked 1,893 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
popping the hood open should help.
shiumai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 12:11 PM   #726
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,179 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutterboy View Post
i've ran multiple searches and read about a dozen pages so far on this thread for heat control and haven't found anything to the effect of cooling a FI car after general use. beyond that standard minute or two cool down i'd like to have something set up similar to my old porsche 944s where even after you turn the car off the radiator fans kick in for at least 60 to 90 seconds. Whether this could actually be done with an ecu trick with an oft (most likely not) or some clever wiring changes and an additional relay; i think it could really help with solving some bad heat soak.

anyone know if this has already been done? my attempts at some forum search tool strings all failed on this but perhaps i don't have the right search phrase?
General rule of thumb is, if your cooling fans are off, you're okay to turn the car off.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 12:45 PM   #727
AJPG

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
General rule of thumb is, if your cooling fans are off, you're okay to turn the car off.
Generalizations more often than not are wrong... Assuming the car have turbo and was use hard the last couple of minutes the heat of the turbo would need a couple of fan cycles before returning to normal operating temperatures.

If you want to turn off the car with peace of mind use a gauge to read coolant and oil temperature.
Old 06-02-2016, 12:48 PM   #728
AJPG

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutterboy View Post

Get a gauge and observe your oil and coolant temperatures first.