follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 01-30-2014, 09:10 AM   #1
swift996

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Properly flushing/bleeding radiator fluid?

Sorry for the basic question but I saw somewhere that you should bleed the coolant system via a bleed screw by the firewall.

I plan to replace my radiator tomorrow night with an aftermarket one and was wondering if anyone could help me understand the procedure for filling and ensuring proper system performance?

I found this DIY:
http://www.hps-siliconehoses.com/wp/...llation-guide/

Would I fill via the fill and use loosen the bleeder screw until fluid drips out? Is this with the car off or on? Sorry for the basic question. In the past, I've just filled and went on in life.

swift996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:38 AM   #2
Mikem53

Drives: FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by swift996 View Post
Sorry for the basic question but I saw somewhere that you should bleed the coolant system via a bleed screw by the firewall.

I plan to replace my radiator tomorrow night with an aftermarket one and was wondering if anyone could help me understand the procedure for filling and ensuring proper system performance?

I found this DIY:
http://www.hps-siliconehoses.com/wp/...llation-guide/

Would I fill via the fill and use loosen the bleeder screw until fluid drips out? Is this with the car off or on? Sorry for the basic question. In the past, I've just filled and went on in life.
Yes.. Open bleeder screw, fill.. Fluid should push the air out, when you see fluid, close and drive.. Most systems will push air out through the expansion tank tube, this is just a way to bleed the system quicker. Being flat and weird has its quirks..
Mikem53 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mikem53 For This Useful Post:
swift996 (01-30-2014)
Old 01-30-2014, 02:50 PM   #3
SubaSteve
Captain Cocoa

Drives: CBS BRZ MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikem53 View Post
Yes.. Open bleeder screw, fill.. Fluid should push the air out, when you see fluid, close and drive.. Most systems will push air out through the expansion tank tube, this is just a way to bleed the system quicker. Being flat and weird has its quirks..
Yeah when doing my install we didn't use the screw..... It takes a good amount longer for the air bubbles to get out.
SubaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote