follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 02-08-2015, 11:57 AM   #29
nelsmar

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,361 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 345 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
im not convinced of the buildup or gumming of injectors on e85 , @mkivsoopra pulled his injectors after considerable miles 17,000 on E85 and all clean, ethanol is an excelent solvent. The only possibilty i can think of is some form of additive for cold countries might cause some issue but not seen any proof. Tuner over here @coyote who has been tuniing wrx liberty,s and 86 on e85 for many years never seen any issue with gumming of injectors on e85.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=33

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=36

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...58&postcount=6
Exactly. Ive always leaned towards it being an additive. My car has 32,000 miles or so on it, 75+% of which are on E85 and my injectors show no sign of buildup. Mind you I had pulled them up once while building the block and thrown them in my ultrasonic cleaner but they had no noticeable buildup on them. I just barely pulled the injectors out last week and there were no signs of buildup. The car has been sitting for a while and I just tore it down to freshen it up this past week.
Old Setup: Vortech Supercharged 360WHP/262WTQ @ 11.5psi
My build thread - WTF happened to nelsmar's car thread
nelsmar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nelsmar For This Useful Post:
steve99 (02-08-2015), ZZT86 (02-09-2015)
Old 02-09-2015, 12:18 PM   #30
nelsmar

I will likely be pulling the pump out in the next 1-2 weeks and swapping it out so if anyone wants to find a part number for just the filter assembly... lets get this rolling since ill have my cage out anyway!
Old 06-15-2015, 08:55 AM   #31
nelsmar

So I figured I would post an update.... 5-8k or so miles later my car still runs fine after letting it sit for such a long period of time. I have ran about 5 tanks of gasoline through it. And countless tanks of ethanol through it since. I have not been flushing gasoline through it for cleaning purposes but simply for testing ECU related bits. In October I plan on doing a massive fuel system overhaul and am still willing to tear my canister open. I should have roughly 40k E85 miles (with a high volume of E85 being through through as I do [b]drive[b/] a high HP car). And ill pay a chunk of the new canister if others are actually concerned and wanting to chip in to replace mine. Ive let it soak multiple times since the original post and now I am really not bothered by the idea of the fuel filter.

I want to say as of yesterday the car had 39,500 miles on it. I'll probably be pulling the injectors to swap out my rails in the coming weeks and ill make sure to run at least 200-300 gallons of ethanol through it without any tanks of gasoline prior to pulling and snap some shots of the injectors. I just recently did about 20-30 gallons of gasoline for some fuel economy testing & VVT tweaking on lower octane fuel, but have switched back to ethanol and flushed about 20-30 gallons through it over the weekend.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:43 AM   #32
babydriver
Hit the road and I'm gone

Drives: 2015 FR-S Burnt Orange (Hot Lava)
Thanked 1,786 Times in 973 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasbound972 View Post
How has it been running? Curious to see how e85 would fuck up the fuel system. Mine sat at Crawford Performance for a little over 4 weeks with e85 in her. She runs fine since the new built block. Just need to stay away from certain oil like mobil one.
What oil do you suggest?
Old 02-05-2016, 11:34 AM   #33
kch
Senior Misanthrope

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue CWP
Thanked 1,168 Times in 645 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by babydriver View Post
What oil do you suggest?
Mobil super synthetic 0w20 is fine for E85.
kch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 12:05 PM   #34
86 South Africa
POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drives: White Toyota 86 (Scion FRs)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsmar View Post
If someone wants to buy me a new filter assembly ill gut mine... I left E85 in the tank for 6 months and then drove the car... (no one needs to explain this is a bad idea, I'm fully aware).

I have had E85 in the tank for ~ 18 months, the current tank is roughly 6 months old. If there is going to be ANY issue with a fuel filter mine should be showing it. It has had ~ 15-20k miles of ethanol pushed through it and has sat for long periods of potentially unsafe fuel.
This makes me wonder... I'm just discovering and loving ethanol. What if I left some in my tank for a while by accident? Let's say I went on holding and left half a tank of e85... What's the best option?
Old 02-05-2016, 04:41 PM   #35
mad_sb

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
All the gumming issues that were discussed at length years ago on evo-m pointed to contaminated fuel being the root cause.

It seems some transporters re-purposed diesel tanks (and some stations as well) without doing a thorough cleaning. The heavy petroleum's (the sticky black / brown goo that people find on the injectors) precipitates out of the spray and collect on the injectors and other surfaces.

Lots of good info over on evolution-m.net
Old 02-07-2016, 03:35 AM   #36
JFC

Drives: 2015 86, 2015 Evo X
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_sb View Post
All the gumming issues that were discussed at length years ago on evo-m pointed to contaminated fuel being the root cause.

It seems some transporters re-purposed diesel tanks (and some stations as well) without doing a thorough cleaning. The heavy petroleum's (the sticky black / brown goo that people find on the injectors) precipitates out of the spray and collect on the injectors and other surfaces.

Lots of good info over on evolution-m.net

99.9% of the time is either the fuel system can not handle the ethanol or the ethanol itself.

Seen and had many cars run e85 and not 1 issue at all ever.

Good luck proving it was the fuel thou, many tanks can go by from when issues started to being noticed.
JFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 03:18 AM   #37
NIKOLA

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S in Ultramarine
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasbound972 View Post
How has it been running? Curious to see how e85 would fuck up the fuel system. Mine sat at Crawford Performance for a little over 4 weeks with e85 in her. She runs fine since the new built block. Just need to stay away from certain oil like mobil one.
Just curious..... What's wrong with Mobil One oil?

I just got my valve springs changed out and the mechanic commented on how nice and clean my valves were. I told him that's because I'm running e85. The only thing he questioned was how long my fuel rails will last on e85? He said they would corrode. Though, he said nothing else about any other parts.
Currently driving a Sprintex Supercharged FR-S in Ultramarine with an Invidia N1 Catback with Catless Front Pipe, Invidia Over Pipe, Injen Catless 4:1 EL Headers, Perrin Aluminum Drive Pulley & Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Driveshaft. Also, looking to upgrade wheels someday to Enkei PF01's (17x8's).
NIKOLA is offline   Reply With Quote