follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 12-09-2013, 01:42 AM   #967
nelsmar

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,361 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 345 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
P.S. When can I pickup my commissions check? I would have given you more sales... but my horrible drivability after the dyno really made me have a hard time trying to push sales towards you. I have 3 locals looking at your turbo kit and hoping to purchase within 60 days. Hell I had at least one wanting to get one in before the dyno day... I have directed them otherwise at this point after the past week's events. I however have done you the respect of not mentioning why but trying to find other alternatives to promoting other vendors that have been respectful to me and my time. But at this time, fuck it im done.
Old Setup: Vortech Supercharged 360WHP/262WTQ @ 11.5psi
My build thread - WTF happened to nelsmar's car thread
nelsmar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nelsmar For This Useful Post:
SmsAlSuwaidi (12-09-2013)
Old 12-09-2013, 01:47 AM   #968
SmsAlSuwaidi
Boosted

Drives: Not a supra....yet
Thanked 1,203 Times in 812 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
SmsAlSuwaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SmsAlSuwaidi For This Useful Post:
Cross (12-09-2013), nelsmar (12-09-2013)
Old 12-09-2013, 01:53 AM   #969
nelsmar

I'll post more in my tear down thread & upcoming review threads later this month. I truly hope I find a mechanical failure in my teardown thread and that this doesn't add anything towards the concerns I had with my "tuner" that were basically ignored / excused. I apologize if I drifted a bit off topic in a vendors thread.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:56 AM   #970
FAER
Banned

Drives: Silver BRZ
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
@FA20Club.com

You sent me a PM with a Fed-ex tracking number that you initiated the evening of December 3rd.

This tracking number still shows the package as "initiated" not picked up or as being shipped.

I responded to your PM with a cut and paste of the message from Fed Ex and have not received a response from you.

I've also called daily and reached only the voice mail.

Any word on where my Over pipe and test pipe are?
FAER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:01 AM   #971
ecko04
Seems Legit

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1386597661.351994.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  110.1 KB
The Following User Says Thank You to ecko04 For This Useful Post:
nelsmar (12-09-2013)
Old 12-09-2013, 09:10 AM   #972
jamesm
Banned

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,293 Times in 1,180 Posts
Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
aww damn...

if flexfuel can't calculate trims correctly, then it can't calculate fueling correctly. i hope that there is some issue with displaying the trims and that the system itself actually functions, though i doubt it as the trim values are read directly from ram iirc, they are what they are.

you could literally just go put e85 in your tank without changing anything else (or flashing a map) and you wouldn't see 35% trims. close, but not maxed. ask me how i know. also i doubt the maf is off that much. was it high trims across the board, which would indicate a failure of the system to scale fueling for ethanol, or high trims in one bucket, indicating maf scaling issues or something else? i suspect it's the first one.

i don't want to bag on anyone, particularly not toni as he has offered to help me out and been kind to me in the past. but people need to know, especially those running FI, that they need to regularly check and confirm how their car is running, particularly if you're on e85 or an aggressive tune. you can't just flash it and forget it, regardless of who you're paying for the map. shit happens, and parameters change.

i think the problem isn't with toni as much as it is with the way we buy and sell these things. it's just not conducive to producing a properly running vehicle. some tuners pull it off, some close to 100% of the time, and i commend them for it, but the methodology we choose (or that which is forced upon us) is not helping them do their job. getting shit right takes time and tight feedback, and you don't have much of either when trying to tune a car via e-mail. i wouldn't even attempt it. you're not even able to collect the data yourself or feel/hear/see the result outside of a log. it's ridiculous that people expect this to work 100% of the time, really.

so what you're left with is hit and miss quality. my pro-tune was absolute shit. the tuner had little to no experience with the FA20 and didn't understand that direct injection must be taken into account when scaling larger injectors, among other things. my car audibly knocked under all but the lowest loads, to the point that eventually i was just driving around in vacuum all the time baby-ing it while i waited for this dude to fix my problem for me. i waited 3 months, took days off work where he didn't even show up to work on it, left the car with him several times and never had any real improvement because he never figured out the root of the problem. the same guy tunes tons of other cars that i know run great and make awesome power reliably. he just didn't understand our fuel injection system, and that caused fundamental errors which he then tried to tune around and just made a mess. he had other cars to tune, so he didn't have time to actually get down to the root and figure out what was wrong with the picture after the initial error was made.

the same can be said of every tuner. toni, not to pick, but you've tuned two people i know's cars. one is perfect and runs like a beast on flexfuel, i've briefly reviewed the logs and i'd beat the hell out of the car with no concern. the other shouldn't be driving. his iam was 0.06 when i saw it and the flkc was pulling 5deg all over the place, fbkc everywhere, it was really really bad. i also know this customer has not been utilizing the tuning by mail, which is his own damn fault, but it illustrates the point. you can't guarantee a good tune because you can't guarantee the quality of the data you get to work with, or even that you get any at all.

so it's not any particular tuner that's broken, it's just the way we do it. there is a better way.

Last edited by jamesm; 12-09-2013 at 09:22 AM.
jamesm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jamesm For This Useful Post:
King Tut (12-10-2013)
Old 12-09-2013, 10:05 AM   #973
lexusb3
Banned

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
@pixel67 can I get an update on the OP I make more power than what's stated lol
lexusb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:05 AM   #974
ecko04
Seems Legit

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Just as an FYI...I know Toni recently started coming to this thread and commenting but it isn't his thread so he won't receive the same alerts as if it was his thread.

Some of the criticism and feedback would be better suited for these threads

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52671

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34291

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30969
Old 12-09-2013, 10:24 AM   #975
lexusb3
Banned

criticism and feedback should only go in that vendor review section only all this back and fourth just making every thread go off topic which sometime sucks! if you have a problem deal with it with whom ever it might be becuase for every 50 ppl there is like 1 problem no one is perfect. If this was a common problem like that whole visconti thing thats a different story but its not only a select few have a problem just email the vendor fix the problem enjoy the car for the next 50,000++ miles and move on to the next car lol all this is fixable! IMO of course!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lexusb3 For This Useful Post:
bgibbsunc (12-09-2013), Scalzo (12-09-2013)
Old 12-09-2013, 10:28 AM   #976
Scalzo

Drives: Asphalt FRS <3
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexusb3 View Post
criticism and feedback should only go in that vendor review section only all this back and fourth just making every thread go off topic which sometime sucks! if you have a problem deal with it with whom ever it might be becuase for every 50 ppl there is like 1 problem no one is perfect. If this was a common problem like that whole visconti thing thats a different story but its not only a select few have a problem just email the vendor fix the problem enjoy the car for the next 50,000++ miles and move on to the next car lol all this is fixable! IMO of course!
What he said!

Sent from my LG-G2 using Tapatalk
Old 12-09-2013, 10:33 AM   #977
nelsmar

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexusb3 View Post
Ive checked others logs and they had the same problem as me. My own problems were more spread than "jsut me". He tried to blame it on my car even though multiple setups on my car did the same thing, the only same thing was the tuner & supercharger unit. But then when I pointed out others logs he immediately emailed them asking for logs.

I did confront the person involved (toni) and he was careless. I'll post in the review thread eventually and will add lots of info in my vortech review, build thread, and teardown thread.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:39 AM   #978
lexusb3
Banned

^^ I understand, but i am sayin is do what you said on your thread and the review thread not this thread so that we can all stay on topic and on the same page, because now this thread is getting useless. No one is perfect if you approach everything in a calm respectable manner which im sure you have things will get resolved. I hope only for the best for you and frs300 because things get better at the end of the day its just a car and it can be fixed im sure soon enough you will have a thread being all happy with your car and i will see you in texas on the high way!!
The Following User Says Thank You to lexusb3 For This Useful Post:
bgibbsunc (12-09-2013)
Old 12-09-2013, 10:40 AM   #979
FA20Club.com
Banned

Drives: 2013 White Out FR-S
Thanked 1,162 Times in 501 Posts
Mentioned: 323 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
here is the exact email that was sent to Jack

"When you get a chance can you get with Marin he just blew his engine and we want to get some logs on your car to comparison to what his was doing for some clarification. Or you can just email he and I the logs if its too much to drive back over to Phoenix. Make sure youre using the file I sent you on the 6th of last month when you changed your header."

I think you should just start your thread and stop giving half the story in here. Im not going to argue with you. Just come out and just state that you blame me for blowing your engine and stop beating around the bush. This is my last post on this subject. Youre entitled to your opinion and its a free world. But the back and forth from my side ends as of now. Do the other owners a favor and start your own thread/review blame etc elsewhere.
FA20Club.com is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FA20Club.com For This Useful Post:
bgibbsunc (12-09-2013), Dan@AWD (12-09-2013), Scalzo (12-09-2013)
Old 12-09-2013, 10:42 AM   #980
lexusb3
Banned

BTW for everyone my name is brandon also lexusb3 is brandon and frs300 is brandon small world lol common name...but I do have alot of parts from fa20 that i test. I have more than one car and dont need my frs so I use it to have fun in if the weather is right -_- florida weather sucks espically with no good tires lol. My car has and will have every possible upgrade but a deal was struck i cannot say what i have untill it has been tested and worked perfectly. my car is still holding up very well and no problems i believe 23,000 miles on it and still going just for an update !!

Tags
0-60 in 22million sec, beam, best of all, doyen done done it again!, fa20club header, fa20club.com, fa20crap, fa20crud.com, frs turbo kit, i like turbos, turbo frs, turbo kit, turbocharged brz, visconti 2.0?, welding4noobs, www.p&lclub.com, you'llneedamuletoride