follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 06-12-2014, 03:19 AM   #1
fooddude
Banned

Drives: 04 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Reg Cab
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Toyota "T" Formed Aluminum Epoxy Steering Wheel Airbag Emblem Badge Interest List

Fellow 86'ers

Here's my idea and description of a nice, clean, classy, minimal and very OEM looking emblem badge replacement for the Scion steering wheel.

- Toyota "T" logo (it fits much more naturally and easier inside the oval space and looks much more oem than almost any other design)

- Preferably just like the emblem pic posted below (from an '01-'03 Prius and other JDM/EU Toyota cars) and as close to oem look as possible (chrome logo, black background, cleared smooth over)

- As flush as possible with the least amount of bulge and minimum bulge. If it means for the users to remove the existing Scion badge, then so be it. I am sure many will not mind doing so if the most important factor is a flush OEM look.

- Made so it fits "inside" the hole/recess. One of the biggest things to making it flush is to make sure it fits "into" the hole in the bag and not "on top" of the hole nor bigger than the hole. Definitely needs to be smaller than the current, new "86" Loden emblem (which is much too big).

- A direct replacement would work best (ie: without the need to do any shaving/sanding; but, only removal of the Scion emblem)- since removing the Scion emblem alone, gives a good amount of empty indentation/space left behind on the edges/border inside the hole/recess. Maybe have the new "T" emblem "cup" into the left over empty border spaces/indentations left behind, but over the 4 humps left behind in the middle. Hope that made sense.

Imo, I think the 2D emblem (like the example picture posted below) fits the FRS's design better as a sporty coupe, rather than a chrome 3D emblem which is more found on luxury sedans/cars.

I have been doing a little research on the Loden company...and they indeed seem like the perfect and best emblem making company for this idea. They seem very high quality and can even make the exact same type of emblem as I have mentioned - a Formed Aluminum Emblem with a Smooth Epoxy Coating

http://www.lodenemblems.com/services...uminum-emblems

Looks pretty darn high quality don't it?

I already emailed them and messaged them about my suggestions (aforesaid in this thread) about making one of those aluminum formed emblems in that link, with a Toyota "T" logo inside of it.... inspired by the 01-03 Prius airbag emblem. The "Loden Formed Aluminum Emblem" and the 01-03 Prius emblem looks like exactly the same style too doesn't it?!

Also, if you think about it...even the OEM Subaru BRZ airbag emblem style is very similar to my suggestion - a 2D, epoxy cleared over formed aluminum with logo inside it. So, it will surely look very OEM.

Here is the '01-'03 Prius emblem I have described to have made, to fit perfectly in place of the Scion emblem:

OEM Subaru BRZ badge for reference:

...not to mention even the new BRZ STi is also a "formed aluminum emblem"

This thread is just to see who else is interested in this idea; and if there is enough interest, to also show Loden (or any other emblem/badge company out there) that there is a big enough interest to maybe convince them to make these.

If you want this aforesaid Formed-Aluminum Epoxy-Cleared Toyota "T" Emblem, then please show Loden your interest by posting on this thread; or, maybe even requesting or emailing about it here:

http://www.lodenemblems.com/content/contact-us

info@lodenemblems.com

Or, maybe we could even all possibly start some sort of group buy, to meet their MOQ.

Peace

Last edited by fooddude; 06-16-2014 at 02:06 PM.
fooddude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fooddude For This Useful Post:
IgnitionGundam (06-13-2014), serial gixxer (06-13-2014)
Old 06-12-2014, 03:28 AM   #2
boredom.is.me
Custom User Title

Drives: Asphalt FR-S MT
Thanked 1,182 Times in 697 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Garage
You do know that there is an entire write up for this right? I thought you were maybe going for something out of the norm.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...=airbag+emblem

Edit:
...ya as soon as you mentioned sanding... This was done a long time ago and isn't expensive or particularly difficult. I thought you were just trying to cover the SCION.
Old 06-12-2014, 03:37 AM   #3
fooddude
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredom.is.me View Post
You do know that there is an entire write up for this right? I thought you were maybe going for something out of the norm.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...=airbag+emblem

Edit:
...ya as soon as you mentioned sanding... This was done a long time ago and isn't expensive or particularly difficult. I thought you were just trying to cover the SCION.
Yes. I am aware of that

It would be a nice option though if there was one you could just buy without going to the junkyard though..and also maybe just using it as an overlay, or as a replacement with no sanding, or as a replacement + sanding.
Old 06-12-2014, 04:11 AM   #4
OICU812
Just a dude

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013
Thanked 1,188 Times in 852 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fooddude View Post
Yes. I am aware of that

It would be a nice option though if there was one you could just buy without going to the junkyard though..and also maybe just using it as an overlay, or as a replacement with no sanding, or as a replacement + sanding.

I agree and good idea food, I am really actually suprised given folks out there like myself who were impatient a year + ago that went with 86 bag etc that a vendor has not jumped on this by now?

Honestly if such a center piece as food has requested existed I would have likely done just that to as its obviously alot cheaper and if done right could look very oem.
Old 06-12-2014, 12:21 PM   #5
cfordart

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Yes. I am aware of that

Great idea, the key being that it looks "factory". And the biggest part to that is making sure it fits "into" the hole in the bag and not "on top of" the hole. Part of the problem now is the the Scion logo is a bit too big and out of proportion for the size of the bag. Put a Toyota logo on top of that area and it's even bigger...just looks out of place.

And if the Toyota logo could have that black border around it (like in the Prius photo) it would allow the logo to be a little smaller, more in keeping with the size of the "86" on the airbag from overseas (which is perfect IMHO).

Thanks for bird-dogging this. I'll definitely get one as long as it looks factory. Will be a good alternative until "someone" makes the "86" airbag cover affordable.
cfordart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cfordart For This Useful Post:
fooddude (06-12-2014), serial gixxer (06-13-2014)
Old 06-12-2014, 02:36 PM   #6
fooddude
Banned

@OICU812 @cfordart

Very good points and suggestions you both bring up. Thanks
Old 06-12-2014, 04:09 PM   #7
WhiteFRS69

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,432 Times in 756 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
im deff interested...
WhiteFRS69 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteFRS69 For This Useful Post:
fooddude (06-12-2014)
Old 06-13-2014, 01:44 AM   #8
fooddude
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfordart View Post
Great idea, the key being that it looks "factory". And the biggest part to that is making sure it fits "into" the hole in the bag and not "on top of" the hole. .... Put a Toyota logo on top of that area and it's even bigger...just looks out of place.
You are defo right. It definitely needs to be made so it fits "inside" the hole/recess.

A direct replacement would even work I bet (ie: without the need to do any shaving/sanding)- since removing the scion emblem alone gives a good amount of space on the edges/border inside the hole/recess. Maybe have the new "T" emblem "cup" into the left over empty border spaces/indentations left behind, but over the 4 humps left behind in the middle.

Early reports of the new 86 emblem (although nice) state that it is bigger than the recess/hole and cannot fit inside it. Something we want to avoid.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...t=55674&page=7
Old 06-13-2014, 02:30 AM   #9
IgnitionGundam

Drives: Silver Ignition Gundam
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I vote for this. I will buy one.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:51 AM   #10
cfordart

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
You are defo right. It definitely needs to be made so it fits "inside" the hole/recess.

A direct replacement would even work I bet (ie: without the need to do any shaving/sanding)- since removing the scion emblem alone gives a good amount of space on the edges/border inside the hole/recess. Maybe have the new "T" emblem "cup" into the left over empty border spaces/indentations left behind, but over the 4 humps left behind in the middle.

Early reports of the new 86 emblem (although nice) state that it is bigger than the recess/hole and cannot fit inside it. Something we want to avoid.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...t=55674&page=7
Is it finished yet? lol
cfordart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cfordart For This Useful Post:
fooddude (06-13-2014)
Old 06-13-2014, 12:46 PM   #11
SkAsphalt
Ridge Racerrrrrrrrr

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 2004 Toyota Coroll
Thanked 1,363 Times in 954 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Well I cannot wait to see how this looks. I bought that bulging out matte black 86 one last week. wouldn't mind having another option.
Old 06-13-2014, 02:48 PM   #12
phobos512

Drives: 2014 FR-S 6MT Whiteout
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
I'd be down for one that fits over the Scion with or without the Scion removed.
fooddude (06-13-2014)
Old 06-13-2014, 06:12 PM   #13
fooddude
Banned

Nice....seems like this emblem/thread is starting to gain momentum and garner a lot of interest

Hopefully we'll hear back from Loden Company soon.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:48 PM   #14
sirisvirus

Drives:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
I would like to see more badges for the brz maybe a STI LOGO for the steering wheel for those folks that did sti badges on their cars.

Sent from my BRZ limited using plastic cup 2.0