follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 10-16-2013, 01:57 AM   #15
CSG David

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 1,721 Times in 956 Posts
Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by digital_assassin View Post
How much boost is this kit creating with the pulley used for the dyno results that are posted?
About 9 lbs of boost.
CSG David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG David For This Useful Post:
digital_assassin (10-16-2013)
Old 10-16-2013, 02:02 AM   #16
CSG David

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
CSG this will be available to pre order from you soon? The JR link shows no option of pre ordering?
I should make this clearer. We can start taking pre-orders now.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:23 AM   #17
RD1428

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I am really liking this, and I thought I was going to get a turbo.... Hmmm
RD1428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:40 AM   #18
imom

Drives: BRZ sold
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
What are the trade off between the Jackson Racking Supercharger vs the Vortech Supercharger, Innovate Motorsports, Twin Screw Supercharger, or any other supercharger? Can you please list the pro and cons...wanting more information please.

From what I can read on the internet... JR and Vortech are going for CARB certification...just want to select the appropriate system for daily driver.
imom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:45 AM   #19
digital_assassin

Drives: 2013 FR-S Matte Orange
Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by imom View Post
What are the trade off between the Jackson Racking Supercharger vs the Vortech Supercharger, Innovate Motorsports, Twin Screw Supercharger, or any other supercharger? Can you please list the pro and cons...wanting more information please.

From what I can read on the internet... JR and Vortech are going for CARB certification...just want to select the appropriate system for daily driver.
Kraftwerks is in for CARB approval as well.
digital_assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 03:00 AM   #20
OICU812
Just a dude

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013
Thanked 1,188 Times in 852 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG David View Post
I should make this clearer. We can start taking pre-orders now.
Based on what you know is this something you feel one with some minimal to mid mechanical knowledge could tackle on their own or should a certified experienced mechanic be involved?
Old 10-16-2013, 10:18 AM   #21
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 4,137 Times in 1,707 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36277
ATL BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ATL BRZ For This Useful Post:
imom (10-23-2013)
Old 10-16-2013, 10:38 AM   #22
CSG David

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by digital_assassin View Post
Kraftwerks is in for CARB approval as well.
It appears a lot of guys are looking to go the CARB route, which is good news for all of us CA guys who are looking for a legal modification. Whether or not they will get that actual CARB sticker is yet to be seen and I simply don't know the status of their CARB progress. What I do know is JR has already submitted paperwork and their car is being tested as we speak. Whether they get approval, that is TBA. I'm not Jackson Racing or any of the other companies so I can't really tell you where it's at right now. I am purchasing the kit (not sponsored) as well so I'm not a PR guy either.

Quote:
Based on what you know is this something you feel one with some minimal to mid mechanical knowledge could tackle on their own or should a certified experienced mechanic be involved?
That's to be determined since I don't have the kit right now. Mike and I will be installing the kit and will provide details on level of mechanical knowledge. What I do know from installing a Rotrex kit on my S2000, is that you need to follow every step in the instruction manual. To my knowledge, I believe this kit will require much less time and effort to install vs. the S2000 Rotrex kit. Prior to the installation of the S2000 Rotrex kit, my mechanical experience and level was maybe a level 15 out of 99 in a RPG game. Level 1 being you never touched a car before and level 99 being able to build a car from scratch. I think I leveled up tremendously throughout the process and I'm probably a level 25 now (competent and capable, but not exceptionally skilled). Mike is like a 28-30. The biggest thing is making sure you follow those instructions step by step.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL BRZ View Post
It seems like you don't sleep Ian.

Last edited by CSG David; 10-16-2013 at 10:55 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG David For This Useful Post:
feldy (10-17-2013)
Old 10-16-2013, 10:48 AM   #23
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Haha, just happy to see it's officially released. I'm still undecided between this kit and Kraftwerks but I definitely think if I do ever go FI with my car, it will be one of the two Rotrex C30-94 kits.

Quote:
I'd still like to see where the Setrab cooler for the SC is mounted. Also would like to know officially if the Perrin/Mocal sandwich plate and engine oil cooler lines will clear the charge piping and intercooler.
Still hunting down an answer to this
Old 10-16-2013, 11:15 AM   #24
CSG Mike

Thanked 14,178 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
If you can follow instructions, and already own a set of tools, you can probably DIY over a weekend comfortably.

Jackson Racing has installed and uninstalled the kit enough times that they have their times down to a few hours, but that's with a lot of experience.
CSG Mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:22 AM   #25
CSG Mike

Quote:
I'd still like to see where the Setrab cooler for the SC is mounted. Also would like to know officially if the Perrin/Mocal sandwich plate and engine oil cooler lines will clear the charge piping and intercooler.
By default, it is mounted in the center, but the system is specifically designed to be modular, and the Rotrex cooler can be offset mounted, so that an oil-to-air engine oil cooler can be mounted beside it. Jackson Racing will be offering an engine oil cooler solution that is compatible with the mounting brackets with the supercharger kit, so that you can always "add on" as needed.

Clearing piping won't be an issue if the lines are properly routed; you *may* need to replace the lines to do so.

Additionally, CSG will be offering an integrated radiator/oil cooler solution in the future.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (10-16-2013), Calum (10-16-2013), johnb831 (10-17-2013)
Old 10-16-2013, 11:29 AM   #26
digital_assassin

Drives: 2013 FR-S Matte Orange
Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
By default, it is mounted in the center, but the system is specifically designed to be modular, and the Rotrex cooler can be offset mounted, so that an oil-to-air engine oil cooler can be mounted beside it. Jackson Racing will be offering an engine oil cooler solution that is compatible with the mounting brackets with the supercharger kit, so that you can always "add on" as needed.

Clearing piping won't be an issue if the lines are properly routed; you *may* need to replace the lines to do so.

Additionally, CSG will be offering an integrated radiator/oil cooler solution in the future.
So from what I'm reading is that the oil cooler that comes with this kit is only for the Rotrex and not an engine oil cooler. The engine oil cooler will be available at a later date for an additional cost.
digital_assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:31 AM   #27
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
It's mounted in the center, behind the intercooler on the undertray? I don't see it mounted anywhere in the pics from the press release, which is why I'm so curious where exactly it's mounted.

To clarify, a Perrin engine oil cooler kit as-is will not be compatible without modification and a new sandwich plate from JR? Or could the fittings possibly be pointed to clear and require no modification?
Old 10-16-2013, 11:34 AM   #28
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liebot View Post
How do you guys think the Jackson Racing tune will hold up at altitude?
Just fine. The Rotrex is a proven supercharger, and is OEM on some exotic cars as David mentioned.

We've done our own testing with Rotrex superchargers (albeit on a different car) at 4000+ ft elevations, without issue. Datalogs show ambient getting as low as about 12.5 psi (vs 14.5 psi at sea level).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Rufus View Post
CARB legal Rotrex? Yes, very nice.
Not yet, but soon. My understanding is that the application has been submitted and currently under review; CARB already has the subject car.

Quote:
Why did you choose the JR kit over the other Rotrex kits like HKS and Kraftwerks?
No other kit has been as extensively tested as the Jackson Racing Supercharger.

- Oscar Jackson Jr. is a winning driver, and has been BEATING on their test mules
- There have been nearly 20k miles put on the test cars, with a LOT of them being at the track, on California 91 octane (worst gas in the country), with ZERO supporting mods. No other FI kit has had this rigorous amount of testing
- The Rotrex is ultra efficient. Th C30-94 spins up to 100,000 RPMs, and the compressor has efficiency rivaling that of turbos. Vortech blowers and positive displacement blowers aren't even close. It's so efficient, that you can go a WOT pull, brake at full ABS, run out of the car, put your hand on the intercooler, and the intercooler will be cool to the touch.
- The setup is nearly silent. This is PERFECT for those that don't want attention from other people and/or law enforcement. If you want extra noise (BOV, etc.), you can always add that on your own...
- The belt system is proven; this setup will NOT slip.
- The Jackson Racing Supercharger kit comes with a tune that has input from some of the best tuners in the world. It is the result of the collaborative effort of multiple tuners all giving their individual input for maximum output without compromising reliability or emissions. (Yes, emissions!)
- We anticipate the CARB cert to be coming soon, which is important to us out in California.

I can go on and on... I think the CSG team has collectively spent over 500 hours studying, debating, discussing, and pulling out hair over FI setups over the past 18 months.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
armythug (10-16-2013), BRZPDX (10-16-2013), Calum (10-16-2013), ShoGun (10-16-2013), Sonolin (10-17-2013), spc2125 (10-24-2013), thill (10-16-2013)