follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 06-01-2016, 09:08 PM   #295
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,769 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
@CSG Mike

When winmax w2 will come on stock?
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 01:58 AM   #296
Whooosah

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Brake Pad Manufacturer (F/R): Winmax W5/Winmax W5
Caliper (F/R): stock
Rotor Size (F/R - IE OEM or specify): Centric Premium/stock
Compound (F/R): W5/W5
Tires: Stock 215/45/17

I used these pads all around on my second track day at Portland Intl' Raceway. Being a newbie these held up perfectly. I upgraded from stock pads after smearing them on my first day. Being my first track pad these feel completely different from the stock compound. I rode around on them on the street for a week before the event to get a feel for it. Drive-ability on the street is not ideal and I didn't get a good chance to bed them in where I am. (Was hoping the first session would somewhat bed them) Lots of noise as expected and moderate amounts of dust. Modulation for regular street driving is quite difficult as they bite quite hard very quickly for daily driving. I was happy to put the stock pads for daily use back on as I don't drive aggressive at all on the streets.

Now for the track use which is what I bought them for, they worked great. I don't have anything to compare it to but I have no complaints. They were very consistent in threshold braking in the 2 heavy braking zones at the end of straights. They very easily overpower the stock tires and get into abs on the track so I had to get used to that and find the right amount of pressure to get max braking without engaging abs. Modulation on the track is much better and I was able to trail brake without any issues (w/pedal dance). New sticky tires will come when I can afford them and with this brake pad the car desperately needs them. I didn't take measurements of the wear after 3 15-20 min sessions but looking at them they barely wore. I was only able to get 1 or 2 fast laps without slow or fast traffic on track per session.

These pads are definitely a bit overkill for my setup and skill but I got them knowing I could grow into them as I got stickier tires and quicker on the track. So far they are doing everything as expected. No fade on relatively short sessions in the heavy braking zones. I was able to run the full sessions which was about 8-9 laps at speed and they worked consistently.

Looking forward to update with sticky tires so I can really put these to use and get the full potential out of them.

Scores:
Dusting (1=high-10=low): 6
Cold bite (1=low-10=high): 6
Hot bite (1=low-10=high): 8
Modulation (1=low-10=high): 7
Noise (1=extremely loud-10=quiet): 8 (not fully bedded)
Pad Lifespan (1=short-10=long): 7 (for a beginner-intermediate)
Does the brake dust with this combination damage the wheels/paint if not cleaned immediately? Doesn't look like it...Left my wheels dirty for a few weeks and cleaned up fine.
Brake ducts: (Y/N) No
Whooosah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Whooosah For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (07-13-2016)
Old 07-13-2016, 02:43 AM   #297
benzz280

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Your shop has no idea what they're doing if they let you set foot on track in this state, without some words of warning.
Your pads looks like they are smeared (cannot tell 100% without better pictures), and your fluid is boiled.

If you're going to the track, use race pads at the track, and upgrade to a better grade DOT4 fluid. We have several options.
@CSG Mike, are his rotors reusable assuming if it is still within specs? Im asking cos same thing just happened to me and Im hoping to reuse my rotors and just replace my toasted pads in the meantime with plans for a bbk in the near future.
benzz280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 10:09 AM   #298
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by benzz280 View Post
@CSG Mike, are his rotors reusable assuming if it is still within specs? Im asking cos same thing just happened to me and Im hoping to reuse my rotors and just replace my toasted pads in the meantime with plans for a bbk in the near future.
Not ideal, but yes.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 01:36 PM   #299
benzz280

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Not ideal, but yes.
@CSG Mike, thanks for your advise, I will just use this opportunity to upgrade and resurface the stock ones and keep them as spare at the track.
benzz280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 11:08 AM   #300
Colin86

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Looking for brake pad suggestions...

I drive HPDE's in the intermediate group and want a pad that'll not only hold up to the heat but be as reasonable on the street as possible. I had Hawk HP+ pads on my previous track car (00 celica gts) and they resisted fade well but the initial bite was more than I preferred. I like a pad with less bite allowing for more modulation and greater ease for heel-toeing. Also note my local track isn't too tough on brakes, but if I had to guess I'm putting down 240whp so there's that.

Thanks!
Colin86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 11:45 PM   #301
OND

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
What would you consider the next step up from Project Mu HC+? Carbotech XP10 maybe?

I am currently using the PMUs (thanks CSG) and I'm totally OK with the squeal and the dust. It is also pretty good on track, but I had to back off in braking zones a little after starting to smell brake pads on my first couple of sessions. In addition, I feel like my braking distances are slowly increasing during each session.

I am looking for a dual duty daily/track pad that will take the heat better and hopefully last longer, while not destroying brake discs. I am OK with dust and noise. I live in TX, so winters are very mild.

My impressions about the HC+ so far:

Brake Pad Manufacturer (F/R): Project Mu
Caliper (F/R): Stock
Rotor Size (F/R - IE OEM or specify): Stock
Compound (F/R): HC+
Tires: Primacy HP

Scores:
Dusting (1=high-10=low): 4
Cold bite (1=low-10=high): 8
Hot bite (1=low-10=high): 6
Modulation (1=low-10=high): 8
Noise (1=extremely loud-10=quiet):4
Pad Lifespan (1=short-10=long): 5??
Does the brake dust with this combination damage the wheels/paint if not cleaned immediately? (Y/N) N
Brake ducts: (Y/N) N
OND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 12:28 PM   #302
ottoyu34

Drives: Mazda3
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OND View Post
What would you consider the next step up from Project Mu HC+? Carbotech XP10 maybe?

I am currently using the PMUs (thanks CSG) and I'm totally OK with the squeal and the dust. It is also pretty good on track, but I had to back off in braking zones a little after starting to smell brake pads on my first couple of sessions. In addition, I feel like my braking distances are slowly increasing during each session.

I am looking for a dual duty daily/track pad that will take the heat better and hopefully last longer, while not destroying brake discs. I am OK with dust and noise. I live in TX, so winters are very mild.

My impressions about the HC+ so far:

Brake Pad Manufacturer (F/R): Project Mu
Caliper (F/R): Stock
Rotor Size (F/R - IE OEM or specify): Stock
Compound (F/R): HC+
Tires: Primacy HP

Scores:
Dusting (1=high-10=low): 4
Cold bite (1=low-10=high): 8
Hot bite (1=low-10=high): 6
Modulation (1=low-10=high): 8
Noise (1=extremely loud-10=quiet):4
Pad Lifespan (1=short-10=long): 5??
Does the brake dust with this combination damage the wheels/paint if not cleaned immediately? (Y/N) N
Brake ducts: (Y/N) N
I had my second set of hc+800 mated with dba 4000 rotors. I felt there's much better stopping force and more consistent braking performance due to better cooling. For pads, check out endless mx72. They are a rated a notch higher than pmu hc in the hybrid pads range.

Sent from OnePlus 3
Old 10-22-2016, 01:09 PM   #303
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
PFC 08 last forever.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EAGLE5 For This Useful Post:
OND (11-12-2016)
Old 11-03-2016, 08:41 PM   #304
OND

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottoyu34 View Post
I had my second set of hc+800 mated with dba 4000 rotors. I felt there's much better stopping force and more consistent braking performance due to better cooling. For pads, check out endless mx72. They are a rated a notch higher than pmu hc in the hybrid pads range.

Sent from OnePlus 3
Thanks, yeah I saw endless when doing my initial search, it was just too expensive for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
PFC 08 last forever.
Didn't even know they had pads for BRZ. I'll check them out, thanks.
OND is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OND For This Useful Post:
EAGLE5 (11-04-2016)
Old 11-04-2016, 01:06 AM   #305
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OND View Post
Didn't even know they had pads for BRZ. I'll check them out, thanks.
Expensive though.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 06:36 PM   #306
slava

Drives: brZed
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
I am looking to upgrade pads on my BRZ for the first time. I did two track days on the oem ones that had about 16000 miles on them and they feel like crap now. I'm looking for something well balanced for street/track. I've read a few pages on here and it sounds like people are pretty happy with the PMU HC+800's, Ferodo DS2500's, and Carbotech XP10's. Out of those three it seems like the Ferodo's may be a good choice for street/track. Tbh I didn't really have a problem with the stock pads other than them not lasting very long. The setup on the car is mild, coilovers, headers, 245/40/17 Direzza ZII's, etc. Mainly looking to upgrade fronts but open to changing rears too. What do you guys think?
slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 06:41 PM   #307
Pat

Thanked 1,251 Times in 677 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
I think you should buy my very lightly used DTC-60s.
Or you could go with a compromise pad. As long as you go into that with your eyes wide open recognizing the downsides, the DS2500 is a good option.
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 06:51 PM   #308
slava

Drives: brZed
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
I think you should buy my very lightly used DTC-60s.
Or you could go with a compromise pad. As long as you go into that with your eyes wide open recognizing the downsides, the DS2500 is a good option.
Why would I be compromising with the others? Why are you selling? What are the downsides to the DS2500?
slava is offline   Reply With Quote