follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 09-20-2014, 11:16 AM   #2045
PNW FRS

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer635csi View Post
It is difficult to analyze sound by text, but one place to look might be the swaybars. If they bang against a control arm or frame member, the spring steel may make that kind of sound you described.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to be looking at the sway bar too soon.

Yea... "sound by text" is a tough one. The sound is definitely a "winding tight" and "winding down" sound... like a spring is being tightened and loosened (albeit a BIG spring - so the "tone" is low and deep).

And it is not a long sound... maybe a quarter-second of "sproing" when the steering wheel is turned almost full-lock when maneuvering -- at a crawl (lowwww speed) for a parking slot. I turn right (full lock) to get the angle... "sproing" and then as I backup, full-lock the other direction... "sproing"
Old 09-20-2014, 12:25 PM   #2046
Sleepless

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepless View Post
My understanding is that the effective spring stiffness is altered by choosing one of the three shock mounting holes. In other applications this is usually expressed as a percentage relative to stock which I presume is the center hole. I can't find this spec for the SPL LCAs
Got the answer from SPL. +/- 6% stiffness. Pretty useful LCA
Old 09-20-2014, 10:46 PM   #2047
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,242 Times in 2,963 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW FRS View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to be looking at the sway bar too soon.

Yea... "sound by text" is a tough one. The sound is definitely a "winding tight" and "winding down" sound... like a spring is being tightened and loosened (albeit a BIG spring - so the "tone" is low and deep).

And it is not a long sound... maybe a quarter-second of "sproing" when the steering wheel is turned almost full-lock when maneuvering -- at a crawl (lowwww speed) for a parking slot. I turn right (full lock) to get the angle... "sproing" and then as I backup, full-lock the other direction... "sproing"
That's the spring binding...contact your coilover vendor. You can at least put some lube on the spring perches but they might have a better solution for you (torrington bearings).

- Andy
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 11:15 PM   #2048
PNW FRS

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Recommendation on lube and is it a simple matter of applying on areas where top and bottom of springs make contact with perches?

Sorry if noob question.. Rookie here..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
That's the spring binding...contact your coilover vendor. You can at least put some lube on the spring perches but they might have a better solution for you (torrington bearings).

- Andy
Old 09-23-2014, 02:42 AM   #2049
Wayno

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
I'm interesting in B6's on the stock 86 springs to improve ride quality. The AU MY15 got upgraded shocks all around. Our springs are the softest ones out of all the variants (2.3k F, 3.3k R). People say they're already over-damped. Will B6's be even worse than stock? I could probably get the BRZ (2.7/3.5) springs easily if that would help.

Same question as this thread:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...hlight=springs
Wayno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 03:06 AM   #2050
Panman

Drives: 86 GTS
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayno View Post
I'm interesting in B6's on the stock 86 springs to improve ride quality. The AU MY15 got upgraded shocks all around. Our springs are the softest ones out of all the variants (2.3k F, 3.3k R). People say they're already over-damped. Will B6's be even worse than stock? I could probably get the BRZ (2.7/3.5) springs easily if that would help.

Same question as this thread:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...hlight=springs

I have the STI springs on STD (old model) shocks and it does not feel overdamped.

It didn't feel over damped with the OE springs either to be honest.

I have a set of B6s sitting in my workshop waiting to be installed when my Raceseng Cascams arrive (already have LCAs). I'd be more worried about the difference F-R on the spring rates than the rates themselves - for Australian roads the ride and handling is great on standard springs and shocks at sane, legal road speeds, and having driven an FR-S think they are much better paired on the 86 than the FR-S

If you want a little bit of low and the same handling characteristics, try either the STI pinks or the TRD Japan springs. Either is a good match with the standard shocks without risking blowing a strut. I got the setup I did because I'm tracking/motorsporting reasonably regularly.
Panman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 03:15 AM   #2051
Wayno

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Sorry you wrote all that about standard shocks and stiff springs which was the exact opposite of what my question was about, I don't want "low" at all, not even 1mm.
Wayno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 03:24 AM   #2052
Panman

Drives: 86 GTS
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Sorry - you said that "people say they're overdamped" I don't believe they are.

If you want to stay with standard springs (no low) and you don't have motorsport in mind, then the standard dampers are very good (even better with the MY15 shocks).

What are you trying to achieve? Is it for track, occasional track, never on the track but want to remove perceived overdamping?

I don't have my B6s installed yet even though they are here.
Panman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 04:08 PM   #2053
Readytoxplod
Tire Destroyer

Drives: Firestorm+snail
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Readytoxplod View Post
I'm looking at Fortune Auto(500) coilovers before my 18" Enkeis (8.5/9.5) come in, any recommendation for spring rates? Aslo should I go with the Swift upgrade?
(BTW I understand staggered is not the best, but I enjoy the looks and will not change the wheels)
I live in NC and drive the Blue Ridge parkway, and technical roads like the Tail of The Dragon frequently, and want best performance over comfort. They come with 6k front and 7k rear rates. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
What kind of tires?

- Andy
I'm looking at Michelin Pilot Super Sports or Hankook v12, v12 is cheaper and supposedly is a great tire.
-Also a second question, would 8.5/9.5 be better or 8.0/9.5? I understand it causes understeer and is detrimental towards handling but I want the best handling option out of those two choices. (also plan to tune out understeer with more power, stiff rear swaybar, maybe stiff springs?)
You guys are a great contributor to this forum
Readytoxplod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 05:13 PM   #2054
troek

Drives: 2012 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Garage
i ran the v12s for while, theyre a good tire for the price. just dont expect them to be on the level of pilot super sports or something of that caliber.
troek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 02:38 PM   #2055
themajesticone

Drives: '13 UM86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
99% Daily driving, 1% track.

Which to choose..... TEIN STREET BASIS or Bilstein B14 (PSS) ??

What is the lowest drop you can achieve on the Tein's? it doesn't say on the site...

Is it also a must to include aftermarket top hats and rear LCA's if you are adding coils or can you use the stock components?

JRSC C30 91 oct | JDL UEL Header | Tomei Overpipe | Milltek Front Pipe | Milltek Catback | SPL LCA v2 | FA 500 v5 Coilovers 6k/7k | SPC Front Camber Bolts | Enkei RPF1 17x9 +35 | 245/40 Michelin Pilot Super Sport

Last edited by themajesticone; 09-25-2014 at 02:48 PM.
themajesticone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 12:53 PM   #2056
Firestorm_86

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by themajesticone View Post
99% Daily driving, 1% track.

Which to choose..... TEIN STREET BASIS or Bilstein B14 (PSS) ??

What is the lowest drop you can achieve on the Tein's? it doesn't say on the site...

Is it also a must to include aftermarket top hats and rear LCA's if you are adding coils or can you use the stock components?
B14 is designed to be used with stock components. If you're doing 1% track, aftermarket tophats and rear LCA might not be worth the extra alignment room you want for track purposes.

Not sure if the Tein's come with top hats. Pretty sure they do. So that might be a plus over the B14's if trackable alignment settings is a big deal for you.
Firestorm_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Firestorm_86 For This Useful Post:
themajesticone (09-26-2014)
Old 09-26-2014, 05:02 PM   #2057
yomny

Drives: 2013 FRS Whiteout
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
CSG and RCE tag-team suspension Q&A thread! Ask us anything!

@CSG Mike @Racecomp Engineering
I wanted to know what a reasonable front and rear camber would be to accomodate 9" wheels with 255 tires. What's the max I could use without really causing an extreme wear situation for daily driving. I do occasional HPDE so I know camber would benefit me.

Part two of the question- When installing rear control arm to adjust camber at what point will i NEED toe arms? At what camber setting do the rear toe arms fall short.

Thanks!

Last edited by yomny; 09-27-2014 at 12:26 PM.
yomny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:35 PM   #2058
BRZ-One

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Good Day!

I think I've decided on the Ohlin's Road & Track.
Had a few people mention to me that it's probably my best bet..
But before, I bite the bullet I'm looking for more validation in what I've decided.

I'm currently using a Swift spring kit, w/ stock shocks & the stock tower mount (unfortunately I had to remove the Whiteline tower mounts). I was happy with the setup until I had to put the stock mounts back in and lost the additional camber and castor..

I'm also interested in getting the car corner balanced & from what I'm reading that can only be accomplished with a coil over system, where you can adjust each shock independently.

Track/HPDE @ Sebring about 6 times/year...
So...bumps galore in T1 & T17
Some street driving, I drive it back and forth to the airport 3 times/mo.

Already installed:
Whiteline Sway bar kits F&R, Rear LCA's, Rear Adj. Toe Arms

Thanks...
BRZ-One is offline   Reply With Quote