follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-14-2013, 09:13 AM   #15
Red2Liter

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited, Red
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
My transmission has improved as I've put miles on the car. I'm at about 6000 miles and the transmission is as smooth as most cars I've owned except for my Hondas. For normal highway driving, I frequently skip gears; going from 3rd to 6th when I'm accelerating to 55 mph traffic. The 6th to 3rd down shift is also nicely spaced when braking for a tight corner. After all, 3rd is good for nearly 80 mph and the lower gear offers a lot of flexibility in controlling entering speed and exit speed.
Red2Liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:23 AM   #16
Marcoscrdo

Drives: 13' DGM Built FBM BRZ
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Only problems i have is if im trying to accelerate between gears sometimes at high speed seems like the gear shifting gets "stuck" and force needs to be put into it. Is that normal?
Marcoscrdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:01 PM   #17
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,352 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
High vehicle speeds, or really fast shifts?
Old 05-14-2013, 04:35 PM   #18
usptwins
Toyota Soul

Drives: 96 taco
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Accelerate between gears?
Old 06-07-2013, 12:38 PM   #19
Eurasianman
Chief

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ Premium 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Anyone experience an issue where you go WOT in 3rd or 4th gear and then shift into 6th gear? The issue being that when you try to go into 6th gear, it grinds a bit. In my previous vehicles, I do not ever recall having an issue skipping gears and hearing it grind at the same time. I know part of the solution is to not skip gears, but I was just curious as to if anyone else had had this issue.

Eurasianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:51 PM   #20
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurasianman View Post
Anyone experience an issue where you go WOT in 3rd or 4th gear and then shift into 6th gear? The issue being that when you try to go into 6th gear, it grinds a bit. In my previous vehicles, I do not ever recall having an issue skipping gears and hearing it grind at the same time. I know part of the solution is to not skip gears, but I was just curious as to if anyone else had had this issue.
Yes. Top of 3rd to 6th will grind almost nearly every time for me. I just stopped doing it.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:29 PM   #21
StormTrooper

Drives: Pavement MT GR86
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Only happens to me if you shift it fast...if your skipping you're not in a hurry to be in 6th so just slow shift.

Anyone else have my issue with 3rd? The gate seems odd compared to the other gears on upshift but not downshift
Old 06-08-2013, 12:41 PM   #22
Gords_zenith

Drives: WRB BRZ Sport Tech
Quote:
This was/is discussed in another thread, and the concensus was that skip shifting is hard on the syncros because of the speed differential between the input and output shafts. The transmission is designed to go 1-2-3-4-5-6. however, in saying that you can try keeping your foot on the clutch while shifting to 5th than 6th before releasing as this will help match the speeds of the shafts so that there less force thus wear and tear on 6th. Hope this helps.
Gords_zenith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:06 PM   #23
Eurasianman
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gords_zenith View Post
This was/is discussed in another thread, and the concensus was that skip shifting is hard on the syncros because of the speed differential between the input and output shafts. The transmission is designed to go 1-2-3-4-5-6. however, in saying that you can try keeping your foot on the clutch while shifting to 5th than 6th before releasing as this will help match the speeds of the shafts so that there less force thus wear and tear on 6th. Hope this helps.
Yea.... I try to remind myself just shift into 4th, 5th, and 6th. But sometimes, it's just a bit obnoxious

Old 06-08-2013, 10:19 PM   #24
Gords_zenith

Drives: WRB BRZ Sport Tech
Quote:
Yea.... I try to remind myself just shift into 4th, 5th, and 6th. But sometimes, it's just a bit obnoxious
I hear ya, I do the same, but I was only suggesting that instead of releasing the clutch between each gear, just row the gears with the clutch in until you get to the gear you want, bump the rpm and release the clutch. Voila, skip shifting without the harm to your syncros.
Gords_zenith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:25 AM   #25
Eurasianman
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gords_zenith View Post
I hear ya, I do the same, but I was only suggesting that instead of releasing the clutch between each gear, just row the gears with the clutch in until you get to the gear you want, bump the rpm and release the clutch. Voila, skip shifting without the harm to your syncros.
Yea, I do that every now and then as well. Just tedious I just need to quit flooring it in 2nd and 3rd