follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 10-27-2021, 09:38 AM   #29
Wayno

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam86 View Post
Been researching a bit and I think being on the 4% rich tune clogged up my throttle body which is what’s causing my RPMs to drop so low when I come to a stop. Drops as low as 450-500 then goes back up to 750.
I love the internet, people come up with the most hilarious nonsense. The RR defs are provided on a platter. If you compared the two files you'd see the difference between the alternate maf scales is around 4 cells at wide open throttle. That would be research.

The are zero differences between 160 and 167 at low load and rpm.
Don't stress too much about slightly lean AFR unless you're tracking the car.
I've never seen a 6AT need 4% file, 2% at most. Flash v167 default or 2%

If you want to clean something, you could start with the maf sensor, though if your filter has been maintained it should be wholly unnecessary. One thing's for sure is fuel doesn't go anywhere near the throttle body, only air, some oil from egr and whatever gets past the filter or is sucked in through gaps after the filter.

You can check vacuum leaks between engine and transmission, do AT fluid level procedure, check for cam gear CEL's, or retry running petrol. Don't expect miracles in the first few hundred km after flashing when running e85 if you've got gremlins anywhere.
Wayno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wayno For This Useful Post:
Sam86 (10-27-2021), tomm.brz (10-27-2021)
Old 10-30-2021, 02:24 AM   #30
Sam86

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayno View Post
I love the internet, people come up with the most hilarious nonsense. The RR defs are provided on a platter. If you compared the two files you'd see the difference between the alternate maf scales is around 4 cells at wide open throttle. That would be research.

The are zero differences between 160 and 167 at low load and rpm.
Don't stress too much about slightly lean AFR unless you're tracking the car.
I've never seen a 6AT need 4% file, 2% at most. Flash v167 default or 2%

If you want to clean something, you could start with the maf sensor, though if your filter has been maintained it should be wholly unnecessary. One thing's for sure is fuel doesn't go anywhere near the throttle body, only air, some oil from egr and whatever gets past the filter or is sucked in through gaps after the filter.

You can check vacuum leaks between engine and transmission, do AT fluid level procedure, check for cam gear CEL's, or retry running petrol. Don't expect miracles in the first few hundred km after flashing when running e85 if you've got gremlins anywhere.
Thank you for your recommendations.
I know nothing about tuning or tune editing so all I can really do is speculate based on other peoples experiences.

Cleaned the MAF sensor and that seems to have fix the drastic dip and improved acceleration. I put in a K/N filter about 4000kms ago so I suppose that may have been the cause. Still not sure why I never experienced it until after changing the tune though.
May want to increase idle RPMS by 25-50 in the future, I haven't used ROM Raider - I tried to download my corresponding ECU definition from your site but it wouldn't produce a file download so I just copied the text and saved it as an xml in notepad.
It seems to have loaded into ROM raider so i'm hoping I did that correctly

Last edited by Sam86; 10-30-2021 at 05:57 PM.
Sam86 is offline   Reply With Quote