follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 07-10-2014, 01:11 PM   #1
Superman

Drives: Whiteout Scion FR-S 6MT/GSX-R 1000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Random Windshield Crack

So, this morning I wake up to go to work with the FRS parked in the garage and notice there is about a 8-10" crack in my windshield, bottom/dead center. I know it was not there yesterday when I came home because of the location, I am sure I would have noticed. My FRS is lowered...quite a bit, but this is not the first lowered car that I have owned/driven. I did a google search as well as a search on this Forum and realized that I may not be the only one having this issue. So my question is, have you had this happen or seen someone else with an FRS/BRZ have this issue (want to know how common this is, remember Not from a rock or any impact to the windshield....just randomly cracked)...and is there any possibility that this could be covered under the Scion/Toyota warranty?? has anyone received a replacement under warranty?

...oh and if you paid for an FRS/BRZ windshield from a Toyota/Scion dealer, how much did you pay would be helpful too (I am hoping I don't have to pay though)

Thank you in advance for your help
Superman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 01:12 PM   #2
N1rve

Drives: 2019 BMW ///M4
Thanked 1,167 Times in 714 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Has it been hot and cold in your area?

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
N1rve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 01:14 PM   #3
Superman

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
Has it been hot and cold in your area?
Just mostly hot, but no more than the usual in Socal in the summer time.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:15 PM   #4
Frozen_skidmark

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I had this happen on a Nissan sentra the edge of the glass was chipped. Which is why it cracked. They didn't warranty it though and fought me on everything else.... Sigh! Haven't even looked at a Nissan since.
I would take a pic before the crack travels and go show them, see what they say. If there's no rock impact, then it has to be a defect on the edge of the glass. Stand your ground if they back peddle, and start asking for names and write them down. People start thinking twice once you have their name, because you're not just naming the dealership when you phone corporate.

Last edited by Frozen_skidmark; 07-10-2014 at 02:16 PM. Reason: i had the dumb
Frozen_skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frozen_skidmark For This Useful Post:
Superman (07-10-2014)
Old 07-10-2014, 02:31 PM   #5
TM

Drives: DGM BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
There might've been a small rock chip from before that you didn't notice and the temperature difference could've made it crack. I didn't notice mine and when I went back to my car a couple of hours later, I saw a huge 5-6 inch crack.

Check closely at the crack to see if there's a chip anywhere along the crack. If not and it originated from the edge of the windshield, it is a defect and should be warrantied.

When I got my windshield replaced, it was around $650, if I remember correctly.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:48 PM   #6
kodyo

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Have a crack about 16" long in my windshield that hooked at the very end toward the drivers side. Had a guy fix it on the side of the road for $30. Re cracked 6 months later except hooked the opposite way toward passenger side. Had him fix that one too.

What I'm getting at is I would just have them fix it until it's too much of a pain then buy a new one. I'm of the belief that it will just crack again unless the aftermarket ones are stronger.
kodyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:45 PM   #7
aptan

Drives: 2014 Whiteout Monogram FR-S
I got a rock in mine about two weeks after I bought it. Still had the dealer plates on...

I had it replaced by the dealership:

$429 Windshield
$34 Sales Tax
$225 Labor

Total of $688.

I also got some quotes from safelite before hand. If I remember right these were the prices...

~$660 for OEM glass
~$480 for safelite glass
aptan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aptan For This Useful Post:
Superman (07-14-2014)
Old 07-10-2014, 08:12 PM   #8
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aptan View Post
I got a rock in mine about two weeks after I bought it. Still had the dealer plates on...
Exact same thing happened to me, but I waited until this week to finally get it fixed.

My dealership said they don't do glass work. They actually farm it out to Safelite.

Safelite quoted me $520 for their glass and couldn't pencil me in for an appointment until the following week.

A local place that got high reviews on line did it for $420 all in with no appointment necessary. They were supposed to install Pilkington glass, but for some reason I ended up with APTech instead. Either brand would have been fine, as both of them are OEM manufacturers for a variety of vehicles.

After going through it, I would strongly suggest shopping around, reading reviews and asking what glass brands they use. Then get the most reputable brand at the cheapest price from the most reputable installer. I got better glass and saved $100.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
Superman (07-14-2014)
Old 07-11-2014, 01:12 AM   #9
Superman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TM View Post
There might've been a small rock chip from before that you didn't notice and the temperature difference could've made it crack. I didn't notice mine and when I went back to my car a couple of hours later, I saw a huge 5-6 inch crack.

Check closely at the crack to see if there's a chip anywhere along the crack. If not and it originated from the edge of the windshield, it is a defect and should be warrantied.

When I got my windshield replaced, it was around $650, if I remember correctly.
At first look, it does not appear there are any chips at all. I had a friend who works at a larger Toyota dealership here check it and unfortunately there appears to be a really tiny one, the size of the pin...so I guess I am stuck since he told me the Toyota reps are pretty strict in their inspections for warranty work.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:52 AM   #10
TM

Drives: DGM BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman View Post
At first look, it does not appear there are any chips at all. I had a friend who works at a larger Toyota dealership here check it and unfortunately there appears to be a really tiny one, the size of the pin...so I guess I am stuck since he told me the Toyota reps are pretty strict in their inspections for warranty work.
Uh oh. In that case, I hope you have glass coverage

After paying the $500 comprehensive deductible, I immediately got full glass coverage ($50 deductible) for a few extra dollars each month - no brainer. Funny thing was, I got another rock chip right after I got the first one replaced. That one didn't crack yet, though.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:17 AM   #11
Silver Ignition
APEXHNTR

Drives: 10 Series FR-S #1867
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Definitely not warranty because windshields don't just crack. I have warrantied a windshield on an Avalon ONCE but that was because the two panes were separating and causing air pockets in the middle making the whole windshield hazy. It was quite a sight. Toyota sent a rep down same day (which is RARE) and they approved it, also taking down the lot number and build date and all that to see if others were affected.
If you try for warranty, you can be sure a rep will come down to inspect it CAREFULLY. Wouldn't count on it. Go through insurance, shouldn't hike up rates and probably only a $100 deductible.
#1867 of 2500

in the garage...2001 Toyota 4Runner [Solid Axle Rock Toy], 1987 Pontiac Fiero GT [Shitwagon], 2004 Honda Interceptor VFR800 [daily rider], 1978 Suzuki GS750 [Café Racer]
Silver Ignition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:37 AM   #12
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
In Florida if you have a cracked windshield the insurance has to pay 100% with no deductible.
I know because I cracked the windshield on my GTI and had it replaced for free by Safelite.
Two months later I cracked the windshield on the FR-S and also had that replaced for free.
And I didn't have to do anything. I just called Safelite and the guy came over to my house and replaced it. They dealt with the insurance company.
The funny thing is, a month later I cracked the windshield again on the GTI. Now I'm driving around with a cracked windshield because I don't want to press my luck. I hardly ever drive the VW anyway.
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:05 AM   #13
J_kennington

Drives: 2013 asphalt scion FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Full coverage, insurance will pay 100% of new windshield. At least I know Geico does
2005 Yamaha yz250f
J_kennington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:34 AM   #14
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Our windshields seem especially weak. It seems like a lot of people are having this issue.
funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
broken, brz, crack, frs, windshield