follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 07-01-2016, 10:47 PM   #1
dem00n
Member of the year - 2016

Drives: Scion FRS
Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How do i quiet down these rear brakes?

My rear pads keep squealing wherever i go. Even if i don't use the brakes, the pads screech against the rotor. At around 60 mph it'll be a steady sound that can be really annoying.

I've had this issue with the last set of pads i had, which were Project Mu HC 800+.

I currently have Winmax W4's, i actually bought these pads thinking i was only having the noise issue with the HC 800+.

I've bed in both sets according to the instructions and to other generic pad bedding instructions. I've gotten both sets smoking on the front rotors after I've done my last run.

I do track days and auto x so i do need a good set of "hybrid" pads, but these things seem like no difference than straight track pads. They make tons of noise and don't offer any "street" capabilities in that department.
I changed the hardware for all four corners when i switched to the W4's, so i know it's not that.

Now i have a theory (bare with me, i'm an Engineering student)....

The rear pads on this car are loose by nature, it is constantly skimming against the rotor whenever you drive the car. You can bed them and set that initial layer of material on the face of the rotor but since you drive around town , that bed will go away in days. When i bed them in, they'll be quiet for about one day, then after normal driving around town they'll come back squealing. The front rotors do not make noise, not even a peep.

What's the solution?

Should i run W3's on the rear? A less aggressive compound? I don't wanna loose the awesome braking capabilities, i get enough compliments on the stopping power of the car.

I can't stand the noise, it's embarrassing. People stare all the time because i'll roll by at 10mph screeching at everyone. The women don't stop complaining either.

Sorry for such a long post...this has been really bothering me.
Old 07-01-2016, 11:40 PM   #2
stevesnj

Drives: 2016 FR-S Oceanic Blue
Thanked 1,601 Times in 923 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dem00n View Post
My rear pads keep squealing wherever i go. Even if i don't use the brakes, the pads screech against the rotor. At around 60 mph it'll be a steady sound that can be really annoying.

I've had this issue with the last set of pads i had, which were Project Mu HC 800+.

I currently have Winmax W4's, i actually bought these pads thinking i was only having the noise issue with the HC 800+.

I've bed in both sets according to the instructions and to other generic pad bedding instructions. I've gotten both sets smoking on the front rotors after I've done my last run.

I do track days and auto x so i do need a good set of "hybrid" pads, but these things seem like no difference than straight track pads. They make tons of noise and don't offer any "street" capabilities in that department.
I changed the hardware for all four corners when i switched to the W4's, so i know it's not that.

The rear pads on this car are loose by nature, it is constantly skimming against the rotor whenever you drive the car. You can bed them and set that initial layer of material on the face of the rotor but since you drive around town , that bed will go away in days. When i bed them in, they'll be quiet for about one day, then after normal driving around town they'll come back squealing. The front rotors do not make noise, not even a peep.

What's the solution?

Should i run W3's on the rear? A less aggressive compound? I don't wanna loose the awesome braking capabilities, i get enough compliments on the stopping power of the car.

I can't stand the noise, it's embarrassing. People stare all the time because i'll roll by at 10mph screeching at everyone. The women don't stop complaining either.

Sorry for such a long post...this has been really bothering me.
That's actually normal for the W4's, they are more of a track pad, I have the W2's and after a lot of research they seemed great for everyday and when I go to the track. I have done both and besides more brake dust they are quiet and capable. Switch to W2's, you may like them.

My 2016 Build thread

TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete
stevesnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 12:03 AM   #3
canyons

Drives: 2013 Supercharged BRZ, E85, Ohlins
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
check for a lip at top of pad, these can form as pad wears away. Solution is to chamfer top of pad.
canyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 03:05 AM   #4
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Quote:

I see your problem..

Have you checked the rear shoe pads? My money is on worn out shoes.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 02:59 PM   #5
dem00n

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyons View Post
check for a lip at top of pad, these can form as pad wears away. Solution is to chamfer top of pad.
Chamfer the corners you mean? I don't really understand what you mean.
Old 07-02-2016, 03:01 PM   #6
dem00n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post
I see your problem..

Have you checked the rear shoe pads? My money is on worn out shoes.
I checked out the shoes before swapping in the W4's.

Even if it was the shoes,why would it get progressively louder the more you drive?
Old 07-02-2016, 03:01 PM   #7
dem00n

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesnj View Post
That's actually normal for the W4's, they are more of a track pad, I have the W2's and after a lot of research they seemed great for everyday and when I go to the track. I have done both and besides more brake dust they are quiet and capable. Switch to W2's, you may like them.
I might just try W2's on the rear. Thanks!
stevesnj (07-02-2016)
Old 07-02-2016, 03:33 PM   #8
ryoma

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I have W5's and they don't drag at all, though they do squeal sometimes on the street when coming to a stop which I don't really mind. are you sure your rear pistons were pressed in before installing the new pads? otherwise the difference in pad thickness might be causing the noise
Old 07-02-2016, 09:29 PM   #9
dem00n

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoma View Post
I have W5's and they don't drag at all, though they do squeal sometimes on the street when coming to a stop which I don't really mind. are you sure your rear pistons were pressed in before installing the new pads? otherwise the difference in pad thickness might be causing the noise
The noise is on both sides.
Old 07-02-2016, 10:18 PM   #10
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Don't stagger the pads...

Have you tried more traditional methods of quieting things like lube between the caliper and pad?
cjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 10:44 PM   #11
canyons

Drives: 2013 Supercharged BRZ, E85, Ohlins
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Chamfer the corners you mean? I don't really understand what you mean.
If there is a lip at top of pad, you need to grind it away. To prevent it from reforming, you can grind the top edge on a downward angle towards the rotor.
canyons is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to canyons For This Useful Post:
dem00n (07-03-2016)
Old 07-03-2016, 06:11 PM   #12
dem00n

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
Don't stagger the pads...

Have you tried more traditional methods of quieting things like lube between the caliper and pad?
Yup, i even bought the heavy duty high temp brake lube. Nada
Old 07-05-2016, 09:34 PM   #13
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Quote:
I checked out the shoes before swapping in the W4's.

Even if it was the shoes,why would it get progressively louder the more you drive?
Engineer right? .......
Any way it's a bit hard to pin point with out seeing it in person. A few things off the top of my head it could be a bit of air on the rear lines making it stick, or a sticky caliper.

If you have the stock pads try swapping them. If the noise goes away then it's the pads. If not its some thing else.

If all else fails, bite the bullet and take it to a brake shop.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 11:42 PM   #14
dem00n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post
Engineer right? .......
Any way it's a bit hard to pin point with out seeing it in person. A few things off the top of my head it could be a bit of air on the rear lines making it stick, or a sticky caliper.

If you have the stock pads try swapping them. If the noise goes away then it's the pads. If not its some thing else.

If all else fails, bite the bullet and take it to a brake shop.
Let's say it was the shoes. Correct me if i'm wrong, but if they wore down to the bare metal base, then that would be a metal on metal contact of the base to the inside of the rotor. That noise wouldn't increase through heat, you'd would have horrible screeching throughout the whole ride.

A brakes shops solution would be to buy their brake pads.

But i have yet to give on this. I'm pretty certain it's the pads, or it might even be a permanent cement on the rotor that's not causing it to bed properly. It could be many things, only way to find out is to swap things out.