follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 02-07-2016, 04:33 AM   #1
carma143

Drives: Toyota Highlander; Subaru BRZ (SWP)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Perfect High Rev Shifts

So last week I had to stop in the middle of an on-ramp for the traffic light to turn green. I decided to accelerate as quickly as I could. Placed gear in 1st, released the clutch, gave full gas, reached 7k. Disengaged clutch, entered 2nd, engaged clutch, full gas in nearly an instant. No jerk. Reached 7k, disengaged clutch, entered 3rd, engaged clutch, full gas in nearly an instant. No jerk. Reached traffic speed and shifted into 6th.

What gets me is that during the transitions between 1-2 and 2-3, I didn't notice any drop in acceleration between gears. It was eerie. It felt like I was driving a car with a really nice dual-clutch transmission.

Just wondering if others have felt that in a car with a manual transmission, and to also share my experience.
Old 02-07-2016, 06:28 AM   #2
jarnojvv

Drives: 86|Fortuner|FJ|Mustang|SwiftSport
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
You serious? Probably a 2017 model with turbo.
Old 02-07-2016, 08:16 AM   #3
TommyC

Drives: 2016 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarnojvv View Post
You serious? Probably a 2017 model with turbo.
I don't understand your comment...
TommyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:26 AM   #4
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
@carma143 Pretty much, sometimes when you hit that sweet spot where the torque doesn't fall off, the transmission really likes a fast shift when you're up in the rev range.
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:35 AM   #5
ButeraFRS

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carma143 View Post
So last week I had to stop in the middle of an on-ramp for the traffic light to turn green. I decided to accelerate as quickly as I could. Placed gear in 1st, released the clutch, gave full gas, reached 7k. Disengaged clutch, entered 2nd, engaged clutch, full gas in nearly an instant. No jerk. Reached 7k, disengaged clutch, entered 3rd, engaged clutch, full gas in nearly an instant. No jerk. Reached traffic speed and shifted into 6th.

What gets me is that during the transitions between 1-2 and 2-3, I didn't notice any drop in acceleration between gears. It was eerie. It felt like I was driving a car with a really nice dual-clutch transmission.

Just wondering if others have felt that in a car with a manual transmission, and to also share my experience.
yeah higher revs usually are buttery smooth and really quick.

even on my motorcycle, shifting at 12k was a dream. anything lower was not as natural, quick or smooth.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:09 AM   #6
jarnojvv

Drives: 86|Fortuner|FJ|Mustang|SwiftSport
Perfect High Rev Shifts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyC View Post
I don't understand your comment...

Sarcasm. There is no way the power wasn't interrupted, maybe quicker but still interrupted. Also, if you really shift quick the tires will spin shifting to 2nd, you'll definitely notice.
Old 02-07-2016, 11:02 AM   #7
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carma143 View Post

This car likes to be abused. The harder you drive it, the better it feels.
funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 11:54 AM   #8
g e

Drives: 2013 BRZ
The BRZcomes alive at the high end of the tach.

You aren't experiencing this car unless you get the red light on once in a while. And I don't mean the red light on a squad car
g e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 12:22 PM   #9
Babel

Drives: 2015 BLACK BRZ
To bad shifts under 4K are horrible and I can never do it great 100% of the time. I've never driven a car that was so bipolar with its engagements. Between my Z, wrx, abarth, even old teenage years Corolla, all shifted like I wanted. And I've even taken out the spring and adjusted height.
Old 02-07-2016, 02:46 PM   #10
ButeraFRS

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babel View Post
To bad shifts under 4K are horrible and I can never do it great 100% of the time. I've never driven a car that was so bipolar with its engagements. Between my Z, wrx, abarth, even old teenage years Corolla, all shifted like I wanted. And I've even taken out the spring and adjusted height.
I'm with you on that.
Old 02-07-2016, 02:59 PM   #11
ryoma

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I always have to slow down my shift into 2nd so that I don't jerk and chirp the tires when driving hard. the 1st to 2nd shift in normal driving took me a while to get used to, but I have it down now after almost a year of owning the car lol. I take off the line in 1st fast, but then when I shift into 2nd it is about 3 or 4 seconds that go by before I start accelerating again lol. everyone always overtakes me at that point. I guess it can be solved by a lighter flywheel, but I am not sure.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:44 AM   #12
Babel

Drives: 2015 BLACK BRZ
1st to second I have to keep the clutch down for at least 3 seconds and let up on it before I go to gas, I hate it, makes me slow from a stop, but I can't find a good engagement point to make it smooth.

Tags
smooth