follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 07-01-2013, 10:50 PM   #1
abutterman

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited - WRB, MT
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
rattle behind the dash

I feel like i saw something similar to this in another thread but can't find it. I noticed a moderately loud rattle coming from somewhere behind the dash somewhere either in the middle or right side of the car. It sounds like plastic with a bit of weight to it hitting against more plastic or possible a bolt or something hitting plastic. I am unable to reproduce the rattle by tapping anywhere on the dash. Emptied out the glove box as well. I did find something attached to the glove box that was just swinging around which turned out to be the glove box strut and took that off too. I can only hear it when going over bumps and pot holes. Is the brz gps antenna mounted somewhere back there which maybe came loose? Anyone else find anything rattling back there i should check for?
abutterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:20 AM   #2
sc0urge

Drives: 2013 BRZ CBS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Hm I had an issue similar to this but thought it was the AC/radio console making the noise. In fact, my mirror assembly was a little loose (I have the Homelink mirror). I fidgeted with it a little and the noise went away. I'm also coming from a BRZ limited, if that helps. Also, some FRS guys were having an issue similar to yours. The thread is here: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39630 but I don't think they found the problem. In any case, I do seem to remember yet another one or two threads regarding rattling/noise coming from the dash area. If the mirror isn't the issue, maybe run a search for the older threads. Best of luck!
sc0urge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:32 AM   #3
abutterman

i was thinking the mirror too cause i've had that stupid plastic wire guide just fall off on occasion but it seems to be on ok. i might take the radio bezel off today and pull the head unit out and take a look back there
Old 07-02-2013, 07:52 AM   #4
microbionic

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I had a rattle in my dash, I stuffed a bunch of shop rags in the cavity's near the radio,...and the noise is gone,... well that particular noise,... the rearview still rattles and the passenger side pillar still rattles,....
microbionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:12 AM   #5
abutterman

i noticed the plastic enclosure of my autodim mirror would make a clicking noise and push in a bit if i press down lightly on the top of it. i played with it and didn't hear the noise the rest of my drive. wonder if that was it? if not i'll be pulling the head unit out later
Old 07-02-2013, 09:30 AM   #6
Kimsey47

Drives: 2016 STI DGM
Thanked 1,460 Times in 662 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
abutter, a lot of us with the Homelink had our mirrors loose and falling off. Mine in particular has a screw within the base that is stripped and is causing a very annoying rattle exactly like what you're taking about. It is if my headunit or vents are rattling, but now I can know it is actually the mirror. Try taking your mirror off and checking all the screws attaching it and its base to the windshield...
Old 07-02-2013, 09:44 AM   #7
abutterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimsey47 View Post
abutter, a lot of us with the Homelink had our mirrors loose and falling off. Mine in particular has a screw within the base that is stripped and is causing a very annoying rattle exactly like what you're taking about. It is if my headunit or vents are rattling, but now I can know it is actually the mirror. Try taking your mirror off and checking all the screws attaching it and its base to the windshield...
hmm i'll have to check that out. the base seems to be secure at a glance but who knows... i know it was dealer installed so it's a possibility that they just rushed something. Hopefully i can track it down so i can just drop it off at the dealer for a day to have it adjusted or fixed or whatever and get my free oil change
Old 07-02-2013, 09:59 AM   #8
Kimsey47

Drives: 2016 STI DGM
Thanked 1,460 Times in 662 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by abutterman View Post
hmm i'll have to check that out. the base seems to be secure at a glance but who knows... i know it was dealer installed so it's a possibility that they just rushed something. Hopefully i can track it down so i can just drop it off at the dealer for a day to have it adjusted or fixed or whatever and get my free oil change
Yeah, if you've got the same issue I have, then it is a screw that doesn't affect the mirror itself but rather the windshield base which the mirror hangs from. I believe there were three screws holding that base under the mirror and the middle one was basically just sitting in there completely stripped. My whole mirror unit was loose which helped clue me into the problem; however, after fixing it there is nothing I can do to fix that middle screw so it will have to be something that my dealer can attend to on my next service...
Old 07-02-2013, 01:31 PM   #9
abutterman

looks like the base is on plenty tight from what i can tell. nothing moves around at all
Old 07-03-2013, 11:06 AM   #10
abutterman

i think it may be that round thing... not sure what it is. gps antenna? it has a little bit of play when poking at it and makes a very similar sound to what i'm hearing when i drive. any idea what to do with it? is it easily accessible from behind the head unit?
Attached Images

Old 07-03-2013, 12:07 PM   #11
microbionic

Quote:
i think it may be that round thing... not sure what it is. gps antenna? it has a little bit of play when poking at it and makes a very similar sound to what i'm hearing when i drive. any idea what to do with it? is it easily accessible from behind the head unit?
I believe that is a light sensor.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:25 PM   #12
abutterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by microbionic View Post
I believe that is a light sensor.
any idea if i can get to it if i pull the stereo out? i'm pretty sure that's where its coming from. if it's too much work i might just try to secure it form the outside somehow and see if it stops the noise
Old 07-03-2013, 01:35 PM   #13
microbionic

Quote:
any idea if i can get to it if i pull the stereo out? i'm pretty sure that's where its coming from. if it's too much work i might just try to secure it form the outside somehow and see if it stops the noise
I cant remember if its possible to reach in that far with only the stereo out, My GUT instinct is NO... as I remember it being very cramped in there....
Old 07-03-2013, 01:46 PM   #14
White64Goat

Drives: 13 BRZ CBS LTD MT, 02 WRX
Thanked 1,111 Times in 627 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Could be the glove box door strut maybe? Someone else on here had one that fell off I think......
White64Goat is offline   Reply With Quote