follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-31-2013, 11:00 AM   #1
Bullnettles

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Driveshaft on a DD FRS

Should I upgrade? I have never had a two piece drive-shaft and it just bugs me. Would you guys say it's worth the swap if I don't autoX my car, but do have a few mods and like to hit the twisties?
Bullnettles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:34 AM   #2
neutron256

Drives: '13 GBS Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I just switched to a CF driveshaft and mine is a daily driver. It makes a difference, is it worth $1K I guess that depend on how much money you have sitting around. If you don't have a tune already I would say you'll get more bang for your buck there.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:49 AM   #3
Bullnettles

Eh, not wanting to void the warranty or give them any reason to try. I know that tunes probably help the motor last 98% of the time, but dealers have to cover their asses. Also, I'll be making enough power, so I'm thinking of getting the transfer to the wheels better over more power.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:01 PM   #4
Adeets
OEDC

Drives: Vortech 8.5psi 274WHP 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Cf review
@Bullnettles
Adeets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:21 PM   #5
Bullnettles

Hmm, why would anyone go with the CF over the aluminum if weight savings are the same? Only thing I can think of if will the AL one not clear stock guards?
Old 05-31-2013, 12:42 PM   #6
RallySport Direct

Drives: 2014 Widebody Cosworth FR-S
Thanked 1,198 Times in 554 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
We love ours! And I agree with @Bullnettles , there are mods you can do that will be more noticeable in regards to power, but for the ease of install, warranty, ability to remove it quickly and the fact it will not decrease reliability is a huge plus for me. Plus I just love the way the car feels with a carbon shaft on it!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsGJf21uMto"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsGJf21uMto[/ame]

Thanks,
Rick
RallySport Direct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:52 PM   #7
Chimpo

Drives: '15 STi Ltd
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullnettles View Post
I have never had a two piece drive-shaft and it just bugs me.
What bugs you about a two piece prop? Worried about the carrier bearing orbiting? Does the prop itself seem out of balance?
Chimpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:07 PM   #8
Zaneman

Drives: 2013 BRZ limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
If I'm not mistaken CF absorbs more energy then aluminum thereby providing a smoother transfer of energy that can be felt by the user.
Zaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:12 PM   #9
Bullnettles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaneman View Post
If I'm not mistaken CF absorbs more energy then aluminum thereby providing a smoother transfer of energy that can be felt by the user.
Ah, that would make sense. This will not be a max-effort build, so I'm thinking I'll go with the AL if it will fit within reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpo View Post
What bugs you about a two piece prop? Worried about the carrier bearing orbiting? Does the prop itself seem out of balance?
Always didn't because of power loss, now hearing about the 6 cyl Mustangs exploding (albeit, at speeds higher than their governor), I just don't like that, haha.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:14 PM   #10
Bullnettles

Hair of research showed this. If the AL fits, definitely going that route.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2271059
Old 05-31-2013, 01:33 PM   #11
AJ PwR

Drives: R35 R56 CZ4A ZC6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Send a message via ICQ to AJ PwR Send a message via AIM to AJ PwR Send a message via MSN to AJ PwR
I don't know if it is just me, I have the PST drive shaft. It's a quality built piece but I notice a vibration. It's acceptable at low rpm ranges but at 5th gear 4000rpm, you can feel it ! It vibrates though the seat then up to my butt. The feeling is like sitting on a message chair.

I installed a diff brace and that increased the vibration even more so I have to take it off. To ensure the diff brace is causing the vibration so I installed it to my friends BRZ and he doesn't get the vibration

I ended up put the stock one back on and the vibration went away ! I am not sure if it's me or my car or something to do with the shaft !

Does anyone has the same issue ?
AJ PwR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:35 PM   #12
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ PwR View Post
I don't know if it is just me, I have the PST drive shaft. It's a quality built piece but I notice a vibration. It's acceptable at low rpm ranges but at 5th gear 4000rpm, you can feel it ! It vibrates though the seat then up to my butt. The feeling is like sitting on a message chair.

I installed a diff brace and that increased the vibration even more so I have to take it off. To ensure the diff brace is causing the vibration so I installed it to my friends BRZ and he doesn't get the vibration

I ended up put the stock one back on and the vibration went away ! I am not sure if it's me or my car or something to do with the shaft !

Does anyone has the same issue ?
That's not comforting, even if it's a "non-issue" I can't stand vibrations.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:38 PM   #13
Bullnettles

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
That's not comforting, even if it's a "non-issue" I can't stand vibrations.
Whoa, definitely not comforting...
Old 05-31-2013, 01:47 PM   #14
Chimpo

Drives: '15 STi Ltd
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullnettles View Post
Always didn't because of power loss, now hearing about the 6 cyl Mustangs exploding (albeit, at speeds higher than their governor), I just don't like that, haha.
Power loss? I'm assuming your talking about the prop twisting under load, and that will be a property of the material it's made of and a "tiny" amount of slip in the center joint splines. *side note, I'm guessing on that, will look when done how this prop is put together* Look at a car with an IDS and equal length halfshafts. Obviously this is done to help mitigate torque steer induced by the a longer one piece design twisting more and esentially not allowing one wheel to keep up with the other (although there may be packaging / cost influences as well).

And any prop spun fast enough is eventually going to hit it's critical speed and potentially fail. That's not the fault of it being a two piece design, that's the fault of the operator being stupid by incorrect use or poor choice of tube diameter/thickness. On a side note, I've heard NASCAR goes through the critical speed of their props, but they go through it quickly enough (getting out of the natural freq range) that it's not a problem... plus it probably is replace after every race...

Don't misunderstand me, carbon fiber prop is choice and you'll see improvement, but there is nothing wrong with what came in your car either.
Chimpo is offline   Reply With Quote