follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-13-2018, 08:02 PM   #113
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
When we bought our current house, two of my sons were under 8 years old and the third wasn't born yet. I had the foresight/luck to decide I wanted a house where if everyone had a car I could still get MomHawk's and mine in the garage.

Our solution was a house with a rear facing garage. That meant it had to have a "turn around" to get in and out of the garage. We can park 5 cars (two in the garage, three on the edge of the pad) and still get in and out of the garage with none of the cars being visible from the street.

I can also get a motorcycle in front of or behind my car in the garage when I have one (turned sideways)
Yeah that sounds like a good setup without needing a huge garage. Nice thinking!

On a side note, I can't imagine raising 3 sons to driving age. We've got a son about to turn 1 and he's keeping my wife and I busy non-stop lol.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:05 PM   #114
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 32,003 Times in 16,486 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
When we bought our current house, two of my sons were under 8 years old and the third wasn't born yet. I had the foresight/luck to decide I wanted a house where if everyone had a car I could still get MomHawk's and mine in the garage.
I think I've got the picture ......

humfrz
Attached Images

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Hades (03-14-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 08:12 PM   #115
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
Yeah that sounds like a good setup without needing a huge garage. Nice thinking!

On a side note, I can't imagine raising 3 sons to driving age. We've got a son about to turn 1 and he's keeping my wife and I busy non-stop lol.
My only advice (having raised two boys and a girl) is to buy them a really sturdy car, for their first car, that doesn't cost much ...... so, when they have their first accident, they won't get hurt as bad and the car won't be a big loss.

humfrz
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
DarkSunrise (03-13-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 08:57 PM   #116
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 25,001 Times in 11,401 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
My only advice (having raised two boys and a girl) is to buy them a really sturdy car, for their first car, that doesn't cost much ...... so, when they have their first accident, they won't get hurt as bad and the car won't be a big loss. humfrz
Well past that stage but that is basically what we did.

First son got mom's Lumina LTZ sedan when she got her Mustang
second son got a 2003 Honda Accord SE 4 door that he is still driving
youngest son got a '98 Volvo C70 that was totaled last year (not his fault) and was replaced with a 2014 Ford Focus SE.

The first two first had to learn to drive in a Chevy Astro, and learn to drive a manual transmission before they took their test.

Last one learned to drive in a Chevy Suburban, and a manual. He took his driving test in the FRS though. Given he learned to parallel park in a suburban, the FRS was nothing.

Youngest one is now 21. Between them we had 1 accident, a parking lot ding into another parked car. They knew that any damage was their responsibility that would be fixed on their dime as was the insurance and gas. They all did get in one accident that was NOT their fault and was covered by the other person's insurance.

All in all, pretty lucky thanks to some time taken teaching them to drive correctly. Even with that, while they have all driven the FRS, none of them have had the keys to MomHawk's car.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
humfrz (03-13-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 09:09 PM   #117
mattyice

Drives: FRS RS1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam_L View Post
To Mattyice , I'd say sell both the Mustang and Cobalt , pool the money and buy a truck. Then you'd have a truck and sports car. Pretty much the best of all worlds (good MPG on the FRS .... not hybrid great , but better then many people out there)
I thought about getting a truck or SUV. When I bought the FRS, the Toyota dealer had a nice lifted SR5 in the showroom...it looked damn good.
mattyice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 04:29 PM   #118
Adam_L

Drives: '16 FR-S RS2 MT, '06 xA Polar MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Yeah, I made the recommendation based off of the fact that (to me) the FRS is the sharpest tool of the three in your work shed. So to a degree the Mustang and Cobalt are redundant.

All three are similar utility cars (but the FRS probably gets the best MPG). You got to experience both of those vehicles. A truck would be a vastly different vehicle, that scores a 10/10 in regards to versatility ( and if you ever need to help a friend move, you'd have the tool). You're east coast .... might want to go 4WD considering where you live . The next part would be to configure what engine size / make/model .... etc, you know the game.
Old 03-14-2018, 05:40 PM   #119
Hades

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Yea, a truck would definitely be nice and would be the practical reason to own 3 cars. I've been having a demonic fascination with FD RX7s lately though

Damn you brain, that's the opposite of useful & practical...
Hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 06:16 PM   #120
Sapphireho
helmholtz resonator

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,370 Times in 8,676 Posts
Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Now I have 2 white Dodge ram 4 door 4x4 hemi pickups, a Honda, the twin, and a 911. If I want to drive the twin to work I have to move cars.
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 06:53 PM   #121
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,486 Times in 6,179 Posts
Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hades View Post
Yea, a truck would definitely be nice and would be the practical reason to own 3 cars. I've been having a demonic fascination with FD RX7s lately though

Damn you brain, that's the opposite of useful & practical...
Lol, one could say the practical reason for having 3 cars is so one car can be the focus of all dreams and desires, leaving the other two to be 100% practical.
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
SCQTT (03-15-2018)
Old 03-14-2018, 08:56 PM   #122
mattyice

Drives: FRS RS1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam_L View Post
Yeah, I made the recommendation based off of the fact that (to me) the FRS is the sharpest tool of the three in your work shed. So to a degree the Mustang and Cobalt are redundant.

All three are similar utility cars (but the FRS probably gets the best MPG). You got to experience both of those vehicles. A truck would be a vastly different vehicle, that scores a 10/10 in regards to versatility ( and if you ever need to help a friend move, you'd have the tool). You're east coast .... might want to go 4WD considering where you live . The next part would be to configure what engine size / make/model .... etc, you know the game.
Adam L, thanks for the recommendation, i'm definitely going to consider a truck in the future. My GF says I should get a truck too because it's practical, she gives me shit a lot for having 3 sports cars, lol.

I think I'm going to sell the Mustang first. I drove the Cobalt today, and every time I drive it, I change my mind on selling it. Their is just something special about 300tq at 2000rpm to the front wheels Plus, resale value right now is pretty shit because most people still think a Cobalt SS is just a base Cobalt with a Turbo added to the engine....and that's far from the truth. It's a great hidden gem car for people that know what it is.

Last edited by mattyice; 03-14-2018 at 09:12 PM.
mattyice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 11:55 AM   #123
Hades

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyice View Post
Adam L, thanks for the recommendation, i'm definitely going to consider a truck in the future. My GF says I should get a truck too because it's practical, she gives me shit a lot for having 3 sports cars, lol.

I think I'm going to sell the Mustang first. I drove the Cobalt today, and every time I drive it, I change my mind on selling it. Their is just something special about 300tq at 2000rpm to the front wheels Plus, resale value right now is pretty shit because most people still think a Cobalt SS is just a base Cobalt with a Turbo added to the engine....and that's far from the truth. It's a great hidden gem car for people that know what it is.
Those turbo Cobalts are a hoot. Good choice.
Hades is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hades For This Useful Post:
mattyice (03-19-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 11:59 AM   #124
LOLS2K
/scion

Drives: '13 86 M/T
Thanked 1,402 Times in 786 Posts
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Two cars at the moment but wouldn't mind adding a project or SXS to the mix. You could also be like my neighbor who doesn't park his cars in his garage, and leaves about 4-6 junkers parked outside at any given time. Mind you, we live in a "HOA community".

LOLS2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 12:31 PM   #125
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLS2K View Post
Two cars at the moment but wouldn't mind adding a project or SXS to the mix. You could also be like my neighbor who doesn't park his cars in his garage, and leaves about 4-6 junkers parked outside at any given time. Mind you, we live in a "HOA community".
I'm not seeing your problem.

Just go over, slap them up side the head and tell them to have their junk cars moved by sundown!

humfrz
Attached Images

Old 03-15-2018, 01:43 PM   #126
LOLS2K
/scion

Drives: '13 86 M/T
Thanked 1,402 Times in 786 Posts
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
I'm not seeing your problem.

Just go over, slap them up side the head and tell them to have their junk cars moved by sundown!

humfrz
Something tells me that this won't go over well.
May the better man win

LOLS2K is offline   Reply With Quote