follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 04-15-2014, 11:44 AM   #113
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Drives: Limited Red 6MT BRZ
Thanked 1,167 Times in 644 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prog View Post
My Nexus 7 install has already cost more than a Ca-Fi Dashlinq4, I really didn't want to spend another $60 on Timur's ROM...

What is the part that would fix the whine? Because I already have a ground loop isolator.

Two things.

What head unit do you have?

Where are you charging your nexus from?

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Sojhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:48 AM   #114
Prog

Drives: 2016 Cadillac CTS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojhinn View Post
Two things.

What head unit do you have?

Where are you charging your nexus from?
JVC KD-R840BT

Charging the Nexus from the cigarette lighter in the glove box.
Prog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:56 AM   #115
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
JVC KD-R840BT

Charging the Nexus from the cigarette lighter in the glove box.

Have you tried charging the nexus from the headunit? Sometimes the usb chargers can create the whine since they are not isolated from grounding issues as well as the head unit. And it looks like your head unit has two usbs.

How did you spend so much on your build? Honest question not trying to troll. I was way below the cafi cost.

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Old 04-15-2014, 12:09 PM   #116
Prog

Quote:
Have you tried charging the nexus from the headunit? Sometimes the usb chargers can create the whine since they are not isolated from grounding issues as well as the head unit. And it looks like your head unit has two usbs.

How did you spend so much on your build? Honest question not trying to troll. I was way below the cafi cost.
I haven't, because the other port is on the front of the head unit. There's no room for a standard USB plug in there, so I'd have to buy a right angle cable that isn't guaranteed to work since I don't know how much power it puts out. Not that it's a terrible amount of trouble or cost, but that still leaves me with a handful of other nagging issues.

My initial build cost was around $550, but I have a 32 GB LTE Nexus 7 (with 200 MB of free data from T-Mobile every month), and those were about $120-150 more than a 16 GB non-LTE Nexus 7 at the time. The rest of the price is the head unit, cables, adapters, and about $25 of software. Since then, I've also bought a USB DAC (~$20), a USB OTG adapter (~$5), a spare center bezel to modify (~$65), a USB hub (~$5), various magnets/bonding agents (~$5), and some brackets for mounting (~$5). Even without the spare bezel and the added cost of the LTE model of the tablet, I still would've spent in the neighborhood of $450, and I'd still have these nagging issues, all without the added convenience of free data on my tablet (can't do a hotspot on my phone).
Old 04-15-2014, 12:21 PM   #117
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
I haven't, because the other port is on the front of the head unit. There's no room for a standard USB plug in there, so I'd have to buy a right angle cable that isn't guaranteed to work since I don't know how much power it puts out. Not that it's a terrible amount of trouble or cost, but that still leaves me with a handful of other nagging issues.

My initial build cost was around $550, but I have a 32 GB LTE Nexus 7 (with 200 MB of free data from T-Mobile every month), and those were about $120-150 more than a 16 GB non-LTE Nexus 7 at the time. The rest of the price is the head unit, cables, adapters, and about $25 of software. Since then, I've also bought a USB DAC (~$20), a USB OTG adapter (~$5), a spare center bezel to modify (~$65), a USB hub (~$5), various magnets/bonding agents (~$5), and some brackets for mounting (~$5). Even without the spare bezel and the added cost of the LTE model of the tablet, I still would've spent in the neighborhood of $450, and I'd still have these nagging issues, all without the added convenience of free data on my tablet (can't do a hotspot on my phone).
Fair enough. Yes those are a few extras. Im assuming you did your install before or did not see my post before moving forward.

As for the usb cable issue. I utilize my front port to charge my nexus. There is plenty of room to push the head unit further back. And charge from there. It may solve your grounding issue.

Also I have been using my Nexus through hot weather and I have had zero issues. We were hitting over 100 degrees in ambient temperature at my parents house (who live in the desert) recently. (So in the car the temperature was much higher) The nexus is a pretty hardy tablet.

Now I did not test cold temperatures (I live in San Diego) but I would be surprised if the nexus was not be able to handle it. I also have yet to hear about any nexus 7's blowing up due to temperature issues, but then again Im not scouring the net for it.

If I ever run into any issues. I will definitely post about it for the benefit of others.

Installed Mods:
Old 04-15-2014, 01:02 PM   #118
Prog

Quote:
Fair enough. Yes those are a few extras. Im assuming you did your install before or did not see my post before moving forward.
The center bezel was more of an insurance purchase than anything else. I can't leave a Nexus 7 in the car if at some point down the road I decided to sell it, so I needed an unmodified center bezel. Other people might not factor that into the initial cost of a tablet install, but I do.

Quote:
As for the usb cable issue. I utilize my front port to charge my nexus. There is plenty of room to push the head unit further back. And charge from there. It may solve your grounding issue.
I have my head unit as far back as it will go, so my above statement was really taking that into account. I could fit a right angle cable in there, but I really don't know if my head unit will properly charge the Nexus without a modified fast-charge kernel.

Quote:
Also I have been using my Nexus through hot weather and I have had zero issues. We were hitting over 100 degrees in ambient temperature at my parents house (who live in the desert) recently. (So in the car the temperature was much higher) The nexus is a pretty hardy tablet.
It's not the tablet itself that I'd be worried about; it's the battery. Li-Ion batteries have certain temperature thresholds they cannot exceed. They have failsafes built-in, but in the event the failsafe is activated, the battery no longer works. And in the event the failsafe fails, the battery can catch on fire and/or explode. I really don't want to try explaining to my insurance company that a modification I made to my car caused a fire.

Quote:
Now I did not test cold temperatures (I live in San Diego) but I would be surprised if the nexus was not be able to handle it. I also have yet to hear about any nexus 7's blowing up due to temperature issues, but then again Im not scouring the net for it.
If you charge/use a Li-Ion battery below a certain temperature, it can cause a substantial loss of total battery capacity. This isn't something I currently have to deal with, but it's worth noting for our northern friends.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:05 PM   #119
SkAsphalt
Ridge Racerrrrrrrrr

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 2004 Toyota Coroll
Thanked 1,363 Times in 954 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
^ you should not have even started this type of install with all of your pedantic worrying.

You can open up the nexus 7 and have it run straight power from the car, without even using the battery. Others have done it. Lots of options out there.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:11 PM   #120
Prog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkAsphalt View Post
^ you should not have even started this type of install with all of your pedantic worrying.
Worrying about a Li-ion battery exploding and/or catching fire in a Louisiana summer is hardly a minor cause for concern. I am sorry for trying to list some reasons why people shouldn't drop $400-500 in a project that might not turn out like they'd hoped.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:15 PM   #121
SkAsphalt
Ridge Racerrrrrrrrr

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 2004 Toyota Coroll
Thanked 1,363 Times in 954 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Worrying about a Li-ion battery exploding and/or catching fire in a Louisiana summer is hardly a minor cause for concern. I am sorry for trying to list some reasons why people shouldn't drop $400-500 in a project that might not turn out like they'd hoped.
Your tone and lecturing is making it sound like it is a problem that will happen to everyone. It can get up to 110 here too in summer - its hot, its bad on batteries and can cause issues, that is a fair point to raise and I am sure people appreciate it.

I think my issue lies with how you are delivering your message.

Someone else on the forum (forget who) disabled the internal battery/has it charging a different way, sounds like a safer option.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:33 PM   #122
Prog

Quote:
I think my issue lies with how you are delivering your message.
By listing legitimate prices and facts based on my own experience? I'm confused.

Quote:
Someone else on the forum (forget who) disabled the internal battery/has it charging a different way, sounds like a safer option.
It would need to be completely removed though, wouldn't it? At the point where you're ripping apart a $200+ tablet to solve one problem in a list of problems that are inherent to many/most 2nd generation Nexus 7 installs, and there's an option that costs around the same price, why is it such a bad thing to bring up a very similar alternative that addresses most of those issues?
The Following User Says Thank You to Prog For This Useful Post:
SkAsphalt (04-15-2014)
Old 04-15-2014, 05:04 PM   #123
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
By listing legitimate prices and facts based on my own experience? I'm confused.

It would need to be completely removed though, wouldn't it? At the point where you're ripping apart a $200+ tablet to solve one problem in a list of problems that are inherent to many/most 2nd generation Nexus 7 installs, and there's an option that costs around the same price, why is it such a bad thing to bring up a very similar alternative that addresses most of those issues?
So since everyone is freaking out aboout the temperature in car. The point at which a battery runs the risk (not that it will actually happen) is 65 degrees C or 150 degrees Fahrenheit. These temperatures would occur when the outside ambient temperature is 125 degrees Fahrenheit, and you leave the windows closed. If you were to crack the windows or put a sunshade up you would lower the temperature significantly in the car.

In other words not much to worry about.

As for your costs your costs are your costs. If you look at my break down with accurate prices its around $300. (with links) Not the $400-500 you are quoting. If you are paying that much for your tablet, you are not trying very hard to look for a lower price.

A lot of your issues stem from the fact that you did not want to spend extra money on a rom. You should of realized that by going with a 2nd gen Nexus you would not have the support you needed or you would have to drop some extra cash.

As for the bezel work. All of the work I did is reversible and does not damage the bezel. (Even removing the rear top clip does not affect how the bezel works or looks. If you were replace the nexus with another headunit it would fit with no issues with my design.

As for your headunit not having enough room. I think I state if you angle your head unit or really try to push it as far back as possible you have INCHES to spare.

On the cold weather it will reduce battery capacity but my setup never drops from 100% anyway. (its an non factor)

Honestly Prog. It seems like a lot of issues you have had was due to the fact this install may have been over your head. Maybe I am wrong, but I know that a lot of people (myself included), have not had issues with utilizing a nexus in the car.

Th point of this thread was to offer an install that would not give you any issues. If you were to deviate from this install (which you have) there is no guarantee that it would work as well as my install.

Installed Mods:
Old 04-15-2014, 06:27 PM   #124
Prog

Quote:
So since everyone is freaking out aboout the temperature in car. The point at which a battery runs the risk (not that it will actually happen) is 65 degrees C or 150 degrees Fahrenheit. These temperatures would occur when the outside ambient temperature is 125 degrees Fahrenheit, and you leave the windows closed. If you were to crack the windows or put a sunshade up you would lower the temperature significantly in the car.

In other words not much to worry about.
Those temperatures are indeed possible in some places during the summer, but you're disregarding the internal temperature of the Nexus's components. It's electronic equipment, and it is hotter than the ambient temperature around it. It's a real concern. Not for all people, of course, but it is for some, including me.

Quote:
As for your costs your costs are your costs. If you look at my break down with accurate prices its around $300. (with links) Not the $400-500 you are quoting. If you are paying that much for your tablet, you are not trying very hard to look for a lower price.
Quite the contrary, I did look for a lower price, and when I bought my Nexus 7, it was the lowest price you could buy one for. I did not want a first gen. Not saying you're wrong here, I just want to point out to anything trying to decide whether or not this is right for them that other options exist with similar functionality.

Quote:
A lot of your issues stem from the fact that you did not want to spend extra money on a rom. You should of realized that by going with a 2nd gen Nexus you would not have the support you needed or you would have to drop some extra cash.
That ROM wasn't even out when I bought mine, and Timur had no plans of making it. But that's beside the point, which is to say there's a legitimate alternative with similar functionality for a slightly larger price. It's up to you if the nuances of a Nexus 7 install are worth the $100-150 you'll save.

Quote:
As for your headunit not having enough room. I think I state if you angle your head unit or really try to push it as far back as possible you have INCHES to spare.
I didn't try angling mine, but you have a different head unit so it's possible the dimensions are also different.

Quote:
Honestly Prog. It seems like a lot of issues you have had was due to the fact this install may have been over your head. Maybe I am wrong, but I know that a lot of people (myself included), have not had issues with utilizing a nexus in the car.
It's not that it went over my head, it's just that the limitations and issues of a Nexus 7 install bother me more than it would bother most people. I think that's probably the best way to put it. There are so many resources for this kind of thing, there's just no reason or excuse for it to "go over your head." That's just silly. If I don't know, I ask, whether it's google or a friend.

Quote:
Th point of this thread was to offer an install that would not give you any issues. If you were to deviate from this install (which you have) there is no guarantee that it would work as well as my install.
The point of my original post here was just to point out that an Android headunit should not be delegitimized as an alternative to this just because it costs anywhere from $0-200 more (depending on your components), especially when there is a possibility of safety concerns in certain (hotter) areas of the world.

This is your thread and your install, and I did not mean for this to go on for so long, so I'll end with this: in your original reply to me, you said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojhinn
Well sounds like you didn't want to spend the money to make your life easier but you are willing to spend more money for a head unit.
...but that's exactly what I'm doing by getting an Android head unit. I'm just making sure other people realize they can do the same if they're uncertain (or limited by the temperature of where they live), and that it's not a poor alternative, as it was portrayed to be. Or, if you're so inclined, try a Nexus 7 install, because they're honestly pretty cool.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:54 PM   #125
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
Those temperatures are indeed possible in some places during the summer, but you're disregarding the internal temperature of the Nexus's components. It's electronic equipment, and it is hotter than the ambient temperature around it. It's a real concern. Not for all people, of course, but it is for some, including me.

Quite the contrary, I did look for a lower price, and when I bought my Nexus 7, it was the lowest price you could buy one for. I did not want a first gen. Not saying you're wrong here, I just want to point out to anything trying to decide whether or not this is right for them that other options exist with similar functionality.

That ROM wasn't even out when I bought mine, and Timur had no plans of making it. But that's beside the point, which is to say there's a legitimate alternative with similar functionality for a slightly larger price. It's up to you if the nuances of a Nexus 7 install are worth the $100-150 you'll save.

I didn't try angling mine, but you have a different head unit so it's possible the dimensions are also different.

It's not that it went over my head, it's just that the limitations and issues of a Nexus 7 install bother me more than it would bother most people. I think that's probably the best way to put it. There are so many resources for this kind of thing, there's just no reason or excuse for it to "go over your head." That's just silly. If I don't know, I ask, whether it's google or a friend.

The point of my original post here was just to point out that an Android headunit should not be delegitimized as an alternative to this just because it costs anywhere from $0-200 more (depending on your components), especially when there is a possibility of safety concerns in certain (hotter) areas of the world.

This is your thread and your install, and I did not mean for this to go on for so long, so I'll end with this: in your original reply to me, you said:

...but that's exactly what I'm doing by getting an Android head unit. I'm just making sure other people realize they can do the same if they're uncertain (or limited by the temperature of where they live), and that it's not a poor alternative, as it was portrayed to be. Or, if you're so inclined, try a Nexus 7 install, because they're honestly pretty cool.
Just so you know I appreciate your candor. Its been fun to talk about this, and I do not want you to stop posting. Its extremely useful for others to weigh their options. As for the temperature issues the tablet is not running when the car is sitting in heat, so you would be fine as long as you don't keep you car really hot.

And I actually like the ca-fi but its expensive. I just want to make sure people are aware that your costs were different because of the choices you made. You wanted to use your nexus as both a tablet and a head unit. Im just using my tablet as a head unit so using the gen 1 is perfectly fine for its use.

If money was no object I would probably go with the ca-fi. Less chances of issues, but $200 bucks is a lot of money for me.

Installed Mods:
Old 04-16-2014, 09:23 AM   #126
Prog

Quote:
As for the temperature issues the tablet is not running when the car is sitting in heat, so you would be fine as long as you don't keep you car really hot.
It obviously won't be doing much while it's in sleep mode, but it will technically be on. And since it's Android, sometimes it has runaway processes that you don't notice until you see your battery is at 50% when it should be around 95%, which has happened to me a few times. During these times, I sometimes realized this because when I went to touch the tablet, I could feel that it was warm.

Quote:
You wanted to use your nexus as both a tablet and a head unit. Im just using my tablet as a head unit so using the gen 1 is perfectly fine for its use.
That's actually a fairly good (and important point). I indeed still want and need head unit functionality (minus AM/FM radio). If only these head unit manufacturers would make an Android app that doesn't require you to touch the head unit...