follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 05-19-2014, 06:55 PM   #1233
ayau

Drives: Some rust bucket
Thanked 1,045 Times in 556 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Also forgot to mention karting. All the great F1 drivers started out karting.
ayau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:46 PM   #1234
AZP Installs

Drives: '11 STi->'14 BRZ | '14 Touareg TDi
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to AZP Installs
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyfries View Post
I just had my first autox event yesterday and I'm hooked. I want to do more HPDE event. However cost is a major concern. At around $50 a pop autox is very affordable for me. However I feel like it's not the best learning environment for a noob. Granted I had so much fun. Should I continue to do autox event or should I save up and do few track days to really learn driving techniques before going back to autox?
Your $/min of driving at a HPDE is significantly better than your $/min at an Auto-x. Also most good HPDE Programs include classroom and in-car instructors as well.

-Mike Paisan

Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Enthusiasts since 2001.
Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs
"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"
AZP Installs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:47 PM   #1235
AZP Installs

Drives: '11 STi->'14 BRZ | '14 Touareg TDi
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to AZP Installs
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayau View Post
I think it'll depend on your goal. Track events are cheaper when you consider driving time per dollar spent. However, if you don't have an instructor to guide you, then you may not really learn anything either. I think the best way to do as many events as possible with an instructor riding next to you. Have a bunch of different instructors as some may be better than others.

This isn't exactly a cheap hobby, and I think it's important to have realistic goals.
Along with this groups like NASA allow you to volunteer to help run the event, in return you get free track time. That helps you get A LOT of track time for free!

-Mike Paisan

Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Enthusiasts since 2001.
Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs
"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"
AZP Installs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AZP Installs For This Useful Post:
kavanagh (05-19-2014), SirBrass (05-19-2014)
Old 05-19-2014, 10:50 PM   #1236
kavanagh
Fat on Corn Syrup

Drives: 2014 Asphalt FRS AT (yes, auto!)
Thanked 2,748 Times in 1,094 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZP Installs View Post
Your $/min of driving at a HPDE is significantly better than your $/min at an Auto-x. Also most good HPDE Programs include classroom and in-car instructors as well.

-Mike Paisan
Quote:
Along with this groups like NASA allow you to volunteer to help run the event, in return you get free track time. That helps you get A LOT of track time for free!

-Mike Paisan
The two main reasons we started off with NASA.

Instructors at every event
Work for track time

kavanagh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kavanagh For This Useful Post:
Nasty Sausage (05-28-2014), SirBrass (05-19-2014)
Old 05-19-2014, 11:24 PM   #1237
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Drives: 2019 WRX Limited (WRB)
Thanked 1,251 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I just signed up with NASA last week.

On phone I am. Therefore, if mistakes I make, Frank Oz blame you should.

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SirBrass For This Useful Post:
CSG David (05-20-2014), kavanagh (05-20-2014)
Old 05-20-2014, 04:25 AM   #1238
nyfries

Drives: 14 FRS Whiteout
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Don't know any local clubs that offer free track time with volunteering. But I do know they offer free autox run at the end of the season for volunteers.

I'm going to sign up for a local event that offer lecture on driving technique and few hour of autox rans with instructor. Should be very helpful for me. Still want to try a track day though haha
nyfries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:09 AM   #1239
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quote:

-Mike Paisan
This is what sold me on HPDE ($/min).

Also both will take most of your day, but you get 2 hrs on-track at an HPDE (plus classroom) vs. 6 minutes at autocross.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
SirBrass (05-20-2014)
Old 05-20-2014, 01:39 PM   #1240
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 4,001 Times in 2,156 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I think you're going to rip your head off in a crash, or more likely snap your neck. The Schroth belt is designed to let your body move forward in a crash. The HANS will hold your head back towards the bar or seat. Body forward, head stays... not good.

I used to think a harness bar and Profi ASM was a good idea. However, after seeing some crash photos and thinking things through, I realized that a lot is wrong with that setup. Either your body should move towards the airbags, using a completely stock system, or you should have a full cage with a proper seat bolted into the harness bar of a cage. I suppose you could risk a race seat bolted to a harness bar, with HANS and a real 5-pt belt, but then you'd better have a damn good harness bar that won't move or bend when your body yanks on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL BRZ View Post
Every helmet with HANS anchors either out of the box or later is "drilled" to fit the anchors. As long as the measurements are correct and the anchors are legit with the proper reinforcements, you can trust it. I had a professional drill and install anchors for $55. Worth it to me to keep using my SA2005 for a while longer.

Price breakdown:

Agency Power bolt-in harness bar: $600

Schroth Profi II ASM FE 4-point harnesses (black/pull down with clip-in lap belt ends and 01324 hardware kit): $354

My HANS sport II is a hand-me-down from my dad since he sold his race car but they are $585 new

G Force Pro Eliminator helmet: $250

Those prices are all before tax/shipping and discounts. I highly recommend Discovery Parts for all the gear besides the harness bar.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 01:53 PM   #1241
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 4,137 Times in 1,707 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
I think you're going to rip your head off in a crash, or more likely snap your neck. The Schroth belt is designed to let your body move forward in a crash. The HANS will hold your head back towards the bar or seat. Body forward, head stays... not good.
I don't think you fully understand how a HANS device works. It is not securing your head/helmet to the harness bar or the seat in an impact. It is essentially securing your head to the harnesses and not allowing it to snap forward and injure your neck/spine. The HANS moves with your body in an impact and is secured by the harnesses at the moment of impact, at that moment the HANS keeps your head from snapping forward. The inboard ASM belt stretches at a different rate than the outboard belt to allow a slight torso twist to prevent submarining, but it doesn't inhibit HANS functionality or effectiveness according Schroth's sled testing results.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXg3OzHRMMY"]SCHROTH RACING - FHR - HANS Crash Test - YouTube[/ame]

Body forward, head stays parallel to spine...good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
I used to think a harness bar and Profi ASM was a good idea. However, after seeing some crash photos and thinking things through, I realized that a lot is wrong with that setup. Either your body should move towards the airbags, using a completely stock system, or you should have a full cage with a proper seat bolted into the harness bar of a cage. I suppose you could risk a race seat bolted to a harness bar, with HANS and a real 5-pt belt, but then you'd better have a damn good harness bar that won't move or bend when your body yanks on it.
Meh. I'll keep trusting the guys doing the actual sled testing. My harness bar is bolted to 4 of the stock seat belt mounting points and it is extremely rigid and the tubing is heavy gauge steel.

From: http://www.schrothracing.com/competi...m/profi-II-asm

Quote:
...it is perfect for use in Driver Education cars or any other application where stock seats are retained. A seat that was not originally desiged for use with a racing restraint should never be modified to accept an sub strap.

The Profi II ASM incorporates Schroth's legendary ASM (Anti-SubMarining) technology that is the only thing like it on the market. ASM is an extra fold of material sewn into the inboard shoulder belt that elongates at a different rate than the outboard belt. This allows your upper torso to twist slightly. On the rebound phase, your torso is planted firmly back in the seat rather than allowed to slide under the lap belt.

You can add a single or dual sub strap to make this belt into a 5 point or 6 point at any time. We have recently tested this harness with a HANS device, and the results were great.You can use 4 point ASM Harnesses with a HANS device.

Last edited by ATL BRZ; 05-20-2014 at 04:09 PM.
ATL BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ATL BRZ For This Useful Post:
kavanagh (05-20-2014), SirBrass (05-21-2014), solidONE (05-20-2014), TEWwild (05-20-2014)
Old 05-21-2014, 11:32 PM   #1242
becauseracecar1

Drives:
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Got a track related question? I'll try to answer.

What tire pressures are recommended for stock tires at the track? Should I start with one pressure and lower it as the day goes on? Thank you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 Ultramarine Scion FR-S
facebook.com/86motorsports
becauseracecar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 03:20 AM   #1243
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Just installed xp10 for track day. Should ibtry to bed on street (and how) or just go to track as is?
Old 05-22-2014, 03:41 AM   #1244
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,183 Times in 6,838 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZionsWrath View Post
Just installed xp10 for track day. Should ibtry to bed on street (and how) or just go to track as is?
First time? Do it at the track. Just driving on track will naturally star the process to bed them, although you may not get them hot enough your first time out.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 03:42 AM   #1245
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,183 Times in 6,838 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by becauseracecar1 View Post
What tire pressures are recommended for stock tires at the track? Should I start with one pressure and lower it as the day goes on? Thank you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Start at 35 cold, and bleed the air out as the day goes on. Check immediately after you cmoe off the track. Stay in the 38-42 range.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
becauseracecar1 (05-22-2014)
Old 05-22-2014, 09:45 AM   #1246
BRZZZZZZZZZZ
Car Nut

Drives: BMW 335d, Toyota Echo RS, FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Has anyone tried Stop Tech Street Performance pads on the track? Picked up a set ultra cheap and figure they can't be any worse than my stock ones were...
BRZZZZZZZZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote