follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 04-03-2014, 10:52 PM   #1205
Red FRS

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Hi!!

Soon to be new vortech owner.

I've been using openflash to tune my car while n/a and I'm planning on switching over to ecutek now with the vortech kit. I haven't used ecutek before. Is it as easy as open flash for uploading maps?

Do you guys recommend any tuners? I don't really like my options for local tuners, I'm in south florida.

Sorry for the newb questions. Thanks advance!
Old 04-03-2014, 11:58 PM   #1206
congiiee

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red FRS View Post
Hi!!

I've been using openflash to tune my car while n/a and I'm planning on switching over to ecutek now with the vortech kit. I haven't used ecutek before. Is it as easy as open flash for uploading maps?

Do you guys recommend any tuners? I don't really like my options for local tuners, I'm in south florida.

Idk how open flash works but for ecutek you basically connect a cable to your computer and with the ecutek software flash it. Takes around 10 mins. It does require a WINDOWS computer. For getting revised tunes you would have to send your tuner your data log which can be done with the cable and computer. Id say fine a decent tuner on the forum initially then once you want to get all the horses out of your set up get a refined dyno tune somehwre.
congiiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:03 AM   #1207
congiiee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal3000 View Post
Nice

I also have no oil cooler or catch can. Been planning on it for a while.
Oh nice! Do you drive aggressive? Like push your car? I'm actually a pretty passive driver cuz I don't want my pistons to blow off. At times I do rev it to 8k if I ever show off but that's it.

BTW I just got my smaller pulley installed (3.125). Pulls significantly more especially mid range. Still waiting on revised tune before I do a red line pulls.
The Following User Says Thank You to congiiee For This Useful Post:
Cal3000 (04-04-2014)
Old 04-04-2014, 12:08 AM   #1208
Red FRS

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by congiiee View Post
Idk how open flash works but for ecutek you basically connect a cable to your computer and with the ecutek software flash it. Takes around 10 mins. It does require a WINDOWS computer. For getting revised tunes you would have to send your tuner your data log which can be done with the cable and computer. Id say fine a decent tuner on the forum initially then once you want to get all the horses out of your set up get a refined dyno tune somehwre.

Thanks for the response man.

That seems simple enough. Similar to OFT. I don't have a windows laptop but I can figure something out.

Do you recommend any tuners to get started with? I'm going to buy the ecutek cable and license now.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:46 AM   #1209
Cal3000

Drives: Panda FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Oh nice! Do you drive aggressive? Like push your car? I'm actually a pretty passive driver cuz I don't want my pistons to blow off. At times I do rev it to 8k if I ever show off but that's it.

BTW I just got my smaller pulley installed (3.125). Pulls significantly more especially mid range. Still waiting on revised tune before I do a red line pulls.
Oh yeah. I drive my car everyday and I redline like 5 times everyday. I push it to the ground. I've pushed it in 100+ F weather pretty much everyday in summer. The cooling system in the car is pretty good, but I do notice that the car pulls some timing due to the hot oil temps (I've seen highs of 119 deg C, which is pretty high). Synthetics has a higher operating range than, non synthetics, so I'm not too worried (0W30). Engine coolant never passes 92 C.

I do experience knock correction everyday, but never during WOT. Even on the stock tune, the car knocked a lot. I don't know if it's the tune or the 91 piss that I'm on I've had 3 different 4 different tunes from 3 different tuners and the same knock occurrences result.

So you don't have tune for the smaller pulley?
Delicious Tuning
Cal3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 01:31 AM   #1210
nelsmar

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,361 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 345 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Hi!!

@jamesm is in florida and is a wonderful tuner. If you still cant find anyone I may be able to work something out to lend you a hand. @ft86me has been doing lots of long term testing of a vortech map for me and seems pretty happy so far.

Quote:
10 minutes? My flash time is 92 seconds (i timed it many times). And if your tuning with a local tuner you dont have to send logs back and forth they can just tune it in person as commonly done with other ECU platforms.
Old Setup: Vortech Supercharged 360WHP/262WTQ @ 11.5psi
My build thread - WTF happened to nelsmar's car thread
nelsmar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nelsmar For This Useful Post:
ft86me (04-04-2014)
Old 04-04-2014, 02:03 AM   #1211
ft86me

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
[QUOTE=nelsmar;1648147]@jamesm is in florida and is a wonderful tuner. If you still cant find anyone I may be able to work something out to lend you a hand. @ft86me has been doing lots of long term testing of a vortech map for me and seems pretty happy so far.

pretty happy so far is an understatement. more like EFFING AMAZED would be the right thing to say!! @nelsmar @Red FRS
ft86me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ft86me For This Useful Post:
nelsmar (04-04-2014), Red FRS (04-04-2014)
Old 04-04-2014, 02:26 AM   #1212
Fish Eagle
Platinum Member

Drives: Toyota 86 Vortech SC
Thanked 1,021 Times in 541 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
The cooling system in the car is pretty good, but I do notice that the car pulls some timing due to the hot oil temps (I've seen highs of 119 deg C, which is pretty high). Synthetics has a higher operating range than, non synthetics, so I'm not too worried (0W30). Engine coolant never passes 92 C.
IMO those temps aren't high at all.
I run much higher than that on track, like 130°C oil and 100°C coolant, and I've never noticed my car pulling timing at all. I'm running Vortech SC and Uni-Q
Old 04-04-2014, 03:06 AM   #1213
congiiee

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsmar View Post
@jamesm is in florida and is a wonderful tuner. If you still cant find anyone I may be able to work something out to lend you a hand. @ft86me has been doing lots of long term testing of a vortech map for me and seems pretty happy so far.

10 minutes? My flash time is 92 seconds (i timed it many times). And if your tuning with a local tuner you dont have to send logs back and forth they can just tune it in person as commonly done with other ECU platforms.
I'm talking about the time it takes you to turn the computer on plug dongle and cable find your tune. Takes about 10 mins. The actual flash time is quick.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:08 AM   #1214
congiiee

Quote:
Oh yeah. I drive my car everyday and I redline like 5 times everyday. I push it to the ground. I've pushed it in 100+ F weather pretty much everyday in summer. The cooling system in the car is pretty good, but I do notice that the car pulls some timing due to the hot oil temps (I've seen highs of 119 deg C, which is pretty high). Synthetics has a higher operating range than, non synthetics, so I'm not too worried (0W30). Engine coolant never passes 92 C.

I do experience knock correction everyday, but never during WOT. Even on the stock tune, the car knocked a lot. I don't know if it's the tune or the 91 piss that I'm on I've had 3 different 4 different tunes from 3 different tuners and the same knock occurrences result.

So you don't have tune for the smaller pulley?

I do have a tune for it. Waiting on a revised one now. As for your knocking issues it's probably 91 as you suspect. I have yet to encounter knocking.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:00 AM   #1215
HRTROB

Drives: Toyota 86
Finally got my car dynoed today. Best pull was 261 hp / 173 tq @ 7,900rpm STD corrected

only about 235whp @ 7500rpm

Need to have the tune tweaked. AFR was leaning out from 4,500-7900rpm. This is already with 700cc injectors and 265lph fuel pump. Not sure if this is because of an exhaust leak somewhere, or if the fuel pump backed out and does not have enough pressure. I'll be installing an AEM wideband o2 then back to the dyno for proper tuning. The car hasn't been tuned on the dyno yet, just at the street.

Vortech 9psi stock pulley
100 RON pump gas
6MT
Borla UEL header
Milltek over pipe
Milltek front pipe
Milltek resonated catback
Deatschwerks 700cc injectors and DW65c 265lph fuel pump
tuned by Speedworks (same tuner as Blitzkrieg's 300whp Vortech 9psi)

Blue line is NA with stock ECU, stock header and Milltek full exhaust. 152whp 127 tq
Red line was NA with stock ECU, Borla header, Takeda intake and Milltek exhaust. 150whp 121 tq. The dyno operator today used this plot by mistake, see the red plot on the second photo for the best pull of this setup (152 whp 127tq)
Green line is my best pull today with the Vortech.

HRTROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:16 AM   #1216
bee_are_zee

Drives: GBS BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
So I'm about due for an oil change. What weight is everybody running after going FI ?
bee_are_zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:54 AM   #1217
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Quote:
HRI Tuning / @jamesm is the man to see. Make the trip to Orlando to see him and it will be well worth your time.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:11 AM   #1218
Red FRS

Garage
@nelsmar @King Tut

I am planning on driving down to Orlando to see @jamesm but first I need to install the kit and I can't drive it without a tune so I guess the best option would be to find a tuner that can send me maps.