follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

Register and become an FT86Club.com member. You will see fewer ads

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-26-2026, 08:02 AM   #99
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast
 
DarkPira7e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Location: Vermont
Posts: 4,160
Thanks: 3,447
Thanked 4,340 Times in 2,188 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
That really sucks, sorry to hear. Sounds like she's put in her time and wanted to rest.
Does the body damage bother you? How is the rust? The FA24 swap is still very expensive, being that those engines aren't cheap on the used market. They also have some propensity towards being oil starved by the pickup so used (to me) can be a little scary if it's got some miles on it and I'd end up wanting to rebuild it anyways.

You've got a lot of time into this chassis. Each and every one of them feels different - have you test driven other ones? Do you think a new chassis or new engine would freshen things up for you, or do you want the cozy combo you've known for so long?
Personally, I'd love the fa24 in my car but my goodness is it costly. I've driven the gr86 and it's truly a great engine compared to the 2l.

As far as your aspirations-
How feasible is it to put the car on ice for now? Do you have a way to store it? Is it an option to do nothing for now?
__________________
Turbo FR-S Build - Build Thread
JDL EL Recirc manifold, Boostlab BL58x Turbo w/ T51R, 17x9 ARC-8, IAG block
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2026, 12:19 AM   #100
Lynxis
Senior Member
 
Lynxis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ 6MT
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 1,035
Thanks: 923
Thanked 613 Times in 394 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I'll answer each of your questions in line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
That really sucks, sorry to hear. Sounds like she's put in her time and wanted to rest.
Does the body damage bother you? How is the rust?
Yes, the damage does bother me, but it's not bad enough to justify spending what it will cost to fix, especially for a track car that I'm liable to send into a wall. I honestly figured that's what would happen before I blew the motor but here we are. Rust is minimal because the car isn't driven in the winter except for emergencies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
The FA24 swap is still very expensive, being that those engines aren't cheap on the used market. They also have some propensity towards being oil starved by the pickup so used (to me) can be a little scary if it's got some miles on it and I'd end up wanting to rebuild it anyways.
Yeah, they're expensive but the FA20 isn't much cheaper, at least around here they're only 1-2k less for similar condition/mileage. The real cost benefit is that the FA20 is a drop in, while the FA24 needs some work, adapters and tuning. I am looking at doing an FA24 swap right now but this will depend on me being able to find the right engine for the right price. So far, either the motors already gone or isn't what it sounds like in the ad but I have very limited time to look during the day because of work. If I get an FA24, I'll drop the oil pan and clean out the oil pickup before I put it in the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
You've got a lot of time into this chassis. Each and every one of them feels different - have you test driven other ones? Do you think a new chassis or new engine would freshen things up for you, or do you want the cozy combo you've known for so long?
Personally, I'd love the fa24 in my car but my goodness is it costly. I've driven the gr86 and it's truly a great engine compared to the 2l.
I've driven a turbo FRS, and a GR86 with lowering springs and an aero package on track and yeah, they're both very different cars to mine. We all clearly spent our money in very different places and I can confidently say that my money was the best spent in my opinion. My car is just so stable and consistent, I can't imagine doing it different even if I move into a new chassis. Thankfully, all my parts (that I care about anyways) are compatible with the 2nd gen if I decide to do that. Seeing some compelling 2022-2023 BRZs for shockingly low prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
As far as your aspirations-
How feasible is it to put the car on ice for now? Do you have a way to store it? Is it an option to do nothing for now?
Yes, I have space to keep it, but I really don't want to let it sit. Cost of living keeps rising and it's a depreciating asset so if I'm going to fix it, the cheapest time to fix it is now, and if I'm going to sell everything off, it's worth the most it will ever be worth right now as well.
Lynxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2026, 09:48 AM   #101
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast
 
DarkPira7e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Location: Vermont
Posts: 4,160
Thanks: 3,447
Thanked 4,340 Times in 2,188 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxis View Post
I'll answer each of your questions in line.
Yes, the damage does bother me, but it's not bad enough to justify spending what it will cost to fix, especially for a track car that I'm liable to send into a wall. I honestly figured that's what would happen before I blew the motor but here we are. Rust is minimal because the car isn't driven in the winter except for emergencies.

Yeah, they're expensive but the FA20 isn't much cheaper, at least around here they're only 1-2k less for similar condition/mileage. The real cost benefit is that the FA20 is a drop in, while the FA24 needs some work, adapters and tuning. I am looking at doing an FA24 swap right now but this will depend on me being able to find the right engine for the right price. So far, either the motors already gone or isn't what it sounds like in the ad but I have very limited time to look during the day because of work. If I get an FA24, I'll drop the oil pan and clean out the oil pickup before I put it in the car.

I've driven a turbo FRS, and a GR86 with lowering springs and an aero package on track and yeah, they're both very different cars to mine. We all clearly spent our money in very different places and I can confidently say that my money was the best spent in my opinion. My car is just so stable and consistent, I can't imagine doing it different even if I move into a new chassis. Thankfully, all my parts (that I care about anyways) are compatible with the 2nd gen if I decide to do that. Seeing some compelling 2022-2023 BRZs for shockingly low prices.

Yes, I have space to keep it, but I really don't want to let it sit. Cost of living keeps rising and it's a depreciating asset so if I'm going to fix it, the cheapest time to fix it is now, and if I'm going to sell everything off, it's worth the most it will ever be worth right now as well.
It sounds to me like you've already justified the FA24 swap or a 2022+ car. If that's where you're heading, you absolutely won't be disappointed!!!
I very much agree that there's something comfortable about a dialed NA setup that's incredibly consistent. Trust is something you need when you're pushing the car near your limit.
__________________
Turbo FR-S Build - Build Thread
JDL EL Recirc manifold, Boostlab BL58x Turbo w/ T51R, 17x9 ARC-8, IAG block
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2026, 04:20 PM   #102
Lynxis
Senior Member
 
Lynxis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ 6MT
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 1,035
Thanks: 923
Thanked 613 Times in 394 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I got a very reasonable quote on an FA24 that was pulled from a side swiped 2023 BRZ with only 3500kms so it's practically new. I've even got pictures of the motor and the car it was pulled from and it was only $800 more than a motor from a front-end accident with 40k kms so it felt silly to pass up. Only downside is that it doesn't come with exhaust headers, so I'm at my next dilemma; either I run my original FA20 headers and accept the power loss, try to find fa24 headers for cheap, or use this as an excuse to buy aftermarket and get the most out of the tuning the car is going to need anyways. Hmm.
Lynxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2026, 11:19 PM   #103
Lynxis
Senior Member
 
Lynxis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ 6MT
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 1,035
Thanks: 923
Thanked 613 Times in 394 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
FA24 is in my possession. For anyone curious, yes you CAN make the FA24 fit in the back of a 2019 Impreza hatchback but fair warning, it's very tight, only about an inch of clearance to the roof and this is without exhaust headers on the bottom. Also, one of the pully wheels is damaged due to how they stored it >=(.
Lynxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2026, 12:15 AM   #104
Lynxis
Senior Member
 
Lynxis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ 6MT
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 1,035
Thanks: 923
Thanked 613 Times in 394 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Car is running with the FA24 with the original FA20 ECU, tune and headers, but has some gremlins. I'm hearing what sounds like rod knock at moderate throttle in low rpms in 2nd and 3rd gear, and there is some vibration when the car is off throttle. I'm hoping these can be tuned out. I bought the HKS EL catless header but I'm now hearing Ecutek cannot bypass the O2 CEL anymore which is making me second guess this decision. I've gotta make a call to a tuner and see what they say.
Lynxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2026, 06:17 PM   #105
ZC6_STi
Senior Member
 
ZC6_STi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Series.Blue #709
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 106
Thanks: 57
Thanked 73 Times in 43 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxis View Post
Car is running with the FA24 with the original FA20 ECU, tune and headers, but has some gremlins. I'm hearing what sounds like rod knock at moderate throttle in low rpms in 2nd and 3rd gear, and there is some vibration when the car is off throttle. I'm hoping these can be tuned out. I bought the HKS EL catless header but I'm now hearing Ecutek cannot bypass the O2 CEL anymore which is making me second guess this decision. I've gotta make a call to a tuner and see what they say.
Yeah, there were changes to the EcuTek software several years ago where they cannot disable the o2 CEL if you're running catless. I had to retune my car after making some changes, and the CEL pops up here & there. You need to run a J-Style Defouler with a medium spacer to not trigger the CEL.
ZC6_STi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2026, 08:29 PM   #106
Lynxis
Senior Member
 
Lynxis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ 6MT
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 1,035
Thanks: 923
Thanked 613 Times in 394 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZC6_STi View Post
Yeah, there were changes to the EcuTek software several years ago where they cannot disable the o2 CEL if you're running catless. I had to retune my car after making some changes, and the CEL pops up here & there. You need to run a J-Style Defouler with a medium spacer to not trigger the CEL.
Thanks for the very specific answer! I've ordered the defouler.
Lynxis is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Volk Racing TE37SL - Mag Blue/ Hyper Blue/ Flat Black/ Red/ Gold IN STOCK!!! Speed Element Wheels and Tires 151 09-26-2013 04:56 PM
Photos with Brenda Noi and Kyle Lackey Automotive Imagery [Mildly NSFW] switchlanez BRZ Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum 8 08-02-2013 10:43 PM
WTB BRZ galaxy blue fender vents or trade w my FRS UM blue side vents BlueLeader Exterior Parts (Aero, Lighting, Etc.) 0 03-18-2013 02:55 PM
16" or 17" for winter? Blue rims on blue car? TPMS or not? Deslock Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack 8 09-04-2012 12:33 AM
Sonic Blue 86, Galaxy Blue deleted? 450hp/tonne AUSTRALIA 14 09-01-2012 07:10 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.