follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 07-06-2015, 01:56 PM   #8975
j_Zer0

Drives: Asphalt FRS 2014
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
My ESC review
[I'm sure I'll be repeating much of what many others have said about the kit, but hopefully this will be of some use nonetheless.]

The Wait
First, like many have said before me, this kit is worth waiting for. I asked to be added to the list 8/26/14 and I received my kit 7/03/15. I waited just over 10 months, and I'm glad I did.

The ESC vs. Vortech / Sprintex
I had three main goals in mind when I decided the ESC looked like my best upgrade option:
(1) to achieve noticeably higher torque
(2) to stick with OFT/OFH-friendly parts
(3) to give myself the best possible chance of maintaining my warranty

I considered the OFT300 (until I found out there was no 6AT tune) and the Sprintex kit. Had there been a 6AT tune for the OFT300 the choice between the Vortech and the ESC would've been more difficult, but it still would've been true that I could get the ESC AND new wheels/tires for the price of adding the Vortech kit to my OFT/OFH. The full-time FI and low-to-mid range torque of the Sprintex kit was attractive, but it would've been significantly more expensive since I would've had to go Ecutek and either give up the OFH or get a custom tune. And neither Sprintex nor Vortech is (feasibly) reversible for dealer visits.

Communication / Support / Customer Service
I don't have much experience on this side of things. However, I can say that Fenton made sure that I had everything I was going to need. He was responsive to PMs and made sure all my questions were answered.

Sojhinn's 2.0 install video is a must watch once you're ready to bolt it on. Beyond that, there is a mature, knowledgeable community of owners here who can help you with whatever you need.

Installation
From unpacking parts to flashing the new tune took me about 4 hours. I was definitely taking my time, studying each component, watching and rewatching Sojhinn's install video, making sure I did everything right the first time, etc. Experienced car guys can probably do the whole thing in 2 hours or less. I wouldn't say that anything about the install process is difficult. It turned out that my kit was missing the hardware for mounting the controller, but this wasn't anything that a quick trip to Harbor Freight couldn't fix. I'd recommend you pick up some extra electrical wire shielding tubing -- my kit had plenty of zip ties but only one shielding tube. I was somewhat disappointed to see that my kit didn't have some of the finishing touches you can see in Sojhinn's video (mainly the Phantom branding/logo stuff).

Driving Impressions
The first time I engaged boost with the ESC I thought: "Yes! THAT'S what I wanted this car to be like!" Keep in mind, we're talking about a few PSI -- the ESC
doesn't make the car V8 powerful. But the difference is quite noticeable. The torque under boost feels right to me now. I do have some knock (up to -3 FKLC) at WOT. Hopefully I can tune this out.

Pedal Switch
I didn't like the pedal switch very much at first because I found it difficult to be precise enough with my foot to engage partial boost when I wanted to. It's gotten a bit easier with some practice, but I still think the pedal switch is what holds the kit back. You can bend the actuator bar on the switch (thanks Sojhinn) to adjust the % throttle at which first (partial boost) and second clicks (full boost) happen, but the distance between the first and second clicks is fixed (it seems to be around 25% between them). This means you can't have partial boost engage at 50% and full boost at 90%, for example. I think the Procede is going to be the way to go.

Adjusting the pedal switch
As Sojhinn points out in his 2.0 install video, the OFT real time data display can be pretty helpful in determining the % throttle at which your clicks are happening. I found, however, that there was a difference of around 25% in how the OFT reads throttle position depending on whether you're sitting in your garage (engine off) or driving down the street. For example, I found that with my engine off my OFT read throttle at 40% on first click. I thought "wow, that's way too soon for partial boost" so I set about bending the crap out of the arm. Then when I got out on the street I found first click was happening around 75%. TL;DR: if your OFT reads throttle position at 40% on first click with your engine off, that is likely to translate into 65% on the street.

A single criticism
The one criticsm I have of the kit is that the voltage display is difficult to read during the day. Is there any way to adjust brightness, etc?
DAEMANO (07-06-2015), Fareast auto part (07-06-2015), l0aded (07-06-2015), Shinobu's Smile (07-07-2015), Sojhinn (07-07-2015), Tectoniic (07-07-2015), TM (07-07-2015), zc06_kisstherain (07-08-2015)
Old 07-06-2015, 02:23 PM   #8976
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Fenton
Does the latest kit come with the new bigger compressor wheel or is yours a one of a kind experiment?
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 02:25 PM   #8977
Fareast auto part

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Great review j ZerO, I will be getting my kit in about a week so this is quite helpful.
Fareast auto part is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fareast auto part For This Useful Post:
j_Zer0 (07-07-2015)
Old 07-06-2015, 11:03 PM   #8978
Urmyson

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNDSRFR View Post
Fenton
Does the latest kit come with the new bigger compressor wheel or is yours a one of a kind experiment?
Pretty sure they are just testing it, but I would upgrade in a second if it gives another 20 HP.
Urmyson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Urmyson For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (07-07-2015)
Old 07-07-2015, 10:39 AM   #8979
fenton

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,614 Times in 726 Posts
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quote:
Fenton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urmyson View Post
Pretty sure they are just testing it, but I would upgrade in a second if it gives another 20 HP.
Its a complete test right now. The new wheel is alot more expensive so we have to make sure that it is going to do anything to positively affect performance.

Right now it seems to pick up about half a pound of boost, this wont translate into 20hp but maybe 10?

Rob is looking to go to the dyno sometime in the summer, he's going on holidays for a bit at the end of July so maybe early August.
fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fenton For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (07-07-2015), Fareast auto part (07-07-2015), Gums (07-07-2015), Sojhinn (07-07-2015)
Old 07-09-2015, 05:05 AM   #8980
taiquach

Drives: 2013 scion fr-s
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenton View Post
clockwise should adjust it....just log boost and see it change. I believe each half rotation should be .25 psi or so......I have mine set to give about 1.5 psi and I think that is about the max you want to go for drivability sake.

Lmk how it goes.

hi fenton , i have raised the partial boost to the (max) 2 psi and car run fantastic , i can really feel the extra kick when it engage. i forgot to mention that my car was an automatic and i dd it. so far i have only driven the car for a couple day since i raised the partial boost , will report back if there is a problem. thanks
taiquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 03:58 PM   #8981
WNDSRFR

What with the talk about more efficient compressor wheels and liquid cooling,
I had this crazy idea.
What would happen if you added a second alternator (28VDC generator) dedicated to driving the ESC full time. Of course the electric motor would have to be liquid cooled to keep it from frying but is there any reason why it wouldn't work?
Yeah I know it adds to the cost and complexity of this wonderfully simple and efficient system but I'm just dreaming of how far this technology can go.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:39 PM   #8982
Target70

Drives: 2013 Asphalt 6spd
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
What with the talk about more efficient compressor wheels and liquid cooling,
I had this crazy idea.
What would happen if you added a second alternator (28VDC generator) dedicated to driving the ESC full time. Of course the electric motor would have to be liquid cooled to keep it from frying but is there any reason why it wouldn't work?
Yeah I know it adds to the cost and complexity of this wonderfully simple and efficient system but I'm just dreaming of how far this technology can go.
The main reason the system makes more power with less boost vs traditional FI, is the storage principle, aka batteries. It saves up the power and drags on the engine when you are not using it, and then releases all the saved up energy and stops dragging on the engine. I'm not sure the extra power created by the boost, would overcome the added drag on the engine from the alternator, if the drag existed while you engage it. "principles of the transfer of energy?"
But with an alternator constantly dragging on the engine, even if you did end up with any additional power it would be much less than the current design.
You did make me think though. No form of energy conversion is 100% efficient, you loose power along the way, usually in the form of heat. The process of the engine creating 12v via the alternator, then converting it to a stable/filtered ~28v signal compatible with charging the dump pack is somewhat inefficient, this is shown by the overheating of the controller. I think this is the reason that Rob couldn't get the larger compressor to work correctly. But if you were to install a separate ~28v alternator, dedicated to charging the dump packs, this could take much of the load off the controller, saving the wasted energy, and keeping the controller cooler. I'm not sure how much if any real world benefit you would see, but I think it's an interesting concept.
Thobjo (07-10-2015), WNDSRFR (07-11-2015)
Old 07-11-2015, 10:48 AM   #8983
WNDSRFR

Yes everything you said makes a lot of sense.

How about this other crazy idea I've been thinking about for over a year now. It has to do with the construction of the compressor wheel. The current wheel seems to be constructed of some sort of machined metal. It looks like it could very well be the single most expensive part of the kit.

I was wondering if the wheel could be constructed of molded carbon fiber or even glass filled plastic? It would be lighter weight (more efficient) and much cheaper to produce. And before anyone mentions that it couldn't handle the RPM's, I have an RC electric jet with an electric motor spinning a plastic fan at about 100,000 RPM. And it works just fine. Admittedly it's spinning a fan blade and not a compressor but I think it may just work.
Old 07-11-2015, 01:10 PM   #8984
vfrqqq
Ultra Senior Member

Drives: 2014 BRZ Premium, WRB
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
I was wondering if the wheel could be constructed of molded carbon fiber or even glass filled plastic? It would be lighter weight (more efficient) and much cheaper to produce. And before anyone mentions that it couldn't handle the RPM's, I have an RC electric jet with an electric motor spinning a plastic fan at about 100,000 RPM. And it works just fine. Admittedly it's spinning a fan blade and not a compressor but I think it may just work.
Sounds like that would take a lot of R&D to prove out/ensure quality.
vfrqqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 02:23 PM   #8985
KoolBRZ

Drives: Silver 2013 BRZ Ltd Auto 45,000 mi
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrqqq View Post
Sounds like that would take a lot of R&D to prove out/ensure quality.
Certain Nissan Skyline GTR's came stock with ceramic turbo blades. They are known to shatter at pressures over 14 PSI. That said, I don't see any reason a mold couldn't be made of a metal blade and injection cast with high pressure-high temp plastic.
KoolBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 04:12 PM   #8986
continuecrushing

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FRS
Thanked 2,144 Times in 1,003 Posts
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
were getting pretty complicated here guys, lol

But I do enjoy the different thoughts/ideas.
continuecrushing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 07:18 PM   #8987
vfrqqq
Ultra Senior Member

Drives: 2014 BRZ Premium, WRB
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Yeah, these are the ideas/possibilities to be pursued by a major auto manufacturer when they develop an ESC (i.e., Audi, M-B, Volvo, etc.). There are many areas for improvement, but as far as this system/development effort is concerned, the mix of affordability for the performance is main focus.
vfrqqq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vfrqqq For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (07-11-2015), LucidMomentum (07-11-2015)
Old 07-11-2015, 11:21 PM   #8988
murselyfe

Drives: It's black.
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I've had my kit for a few weeks now.

It's still not installed... @DAEMANO lol
DAEMANO (07-12-2015), tyrantcf (07-12-2015)

Tags
26$ / wtq, affordable boost, better than turbo, brz electric supercharger, do want, dumbass freddy, electric shrimpage, electric supercharger, electronic supercharger, epic thread tag, fanboy circle jerk!, freddy keyboardwarrior, frs electric supercharger, get a real blower, haters gonna hate, hows the battery life?, lol, moar powa, nos with battery, one gear race champion, only pulls hard once, phantom charge, pm-robftss to order!, release date=not yet, release it already!, released!, rice, shut up and take our $$$, snake oil claims, street only, super pursuit mode, the price isn't known yet, tq300 plzkkthxbai, wooshy noise, yes turbo is better, yes turbo is expensive