follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 01-12-2014, 09:57 AM   #855
DC2R

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Mileage

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
DC2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:35 AM   #856
sandman126
Slide Ways

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ, 85 VW Golf
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I'm sure this has been asked before but has or is anyone that has boosted their ft86 using the OFT? Looked around a bit(not really that hard) and didn't see anything. Installing my turbo kit now and was considering using this for my tuning. Hard to beat the price. Even better if shiv@vishnu would be willing to E-tune this setup.
sandman126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 12:17 PM   #857
PStaff716

Drives: 2013 Raven FRS 6MT
been running the 1.42 tune for a week. feels great, gas pedal is still adjusting though.

should I be data logging? I wasn't sure if everyone is supposed to do this or just the aftermarket header/e85 guys.
https://www.youtube.com/user/pstaff716
PStaff716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 02:52 PM   #858
Asphalt_FRS

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Autoblip is perhaps the most obnoxious "feature" you could possibly put into a 6MT. It encourages poor driving while taking control from the driver. Something that really has no place on the street. It was developed by marketing folks (probably at GM) who wanted to sell their cars to people who are afraid to drive manual transmissions. Fortunately, it's not becoming popular in the industry because most people don't need it and find it offensive to drive. I've been instructing and coaching drivers for last 10 years and I would rather tell someone to not learn heel-toe braking than to learn it with auto blip.

Phew... that felt good

Ha, did not realize I would elicit such a response, I like the passion though! I definitely understand your not wanting to encourage bad driving habits.

I currently find it a little hard to rev match on the down-shifts, but that should get a little easier with the tune (better throttle response) and lightweight pulleys. The reach for my heel is a little far as well, haven't really seen any pedals yet that I like enough to buy though. Anyone have any aftermarket pedals they really like?

Not to try and refute you or start a debate or anything, but wasn't it initially developed by Formual 1? A computer can rev match much faster and easier than a human and enable much quicker shifts (not that my FRF-S is an F1 car or that I need to shift in 5 ms, and I don't even know how fast the ECU in this production car could rev-match, maybe a human is faster). I know I'm not an F1 racer, and the feature definitely lends itself to helping idiots drive a manual, I just can't help loving some of the really cool technology that gets developed and wish my car had more.

To be honest, the only thing I've ever disliked about my car is the 'Fly by Wire' electronic throttle. It just felt like a video game when I first got it, and I kind of figure if I'm going to compromise give up the mechanical feeling of older cars, I might as well get all the bells and whistles that come with driving computer.

However I am in no way trying to complain about your product. I am still blown away by all the things it will allow me to do, and the extremely reasonable price it is being offered for. If the anticipation doesn't kill me by tomorrow, I'm sure the excitement after receiving it will cause an aneurism...
Asphalt_FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Asphalt_FRS For This Useful Post:
JoeBoxer (01-12-2014)
Old 01-12-2014, 03:58 PM   #859
Jac

Drives: Fiat Abarth
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Just installed the OFT Stage 1 tune, tried to get some good pulls in on Friday even with the traffic:
http://datazap.me/u/jac/brz-oft-stage-1-za1ja01c

Is there anything in particular i should looking out for when i'm reviewing logs? I'm completely new to ECU tuning but want to learn and do it right.

Overall first impressions of the Stage 1 tune are good. I feel like its almost eliminated the torque dip, no longer feel a rush of torque at 4.5k. Engine feels a little smoother and torque in general feels flatter. Butt dyno says the car is a little faster.

Will be booking some dyno time to see what exactly the stage 1 tune has done.
Jac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 04:05 PM   #860
Shiv@Openflash

Drives: 2013 FRS
Thanked 5,469 Times in 1,494 Posts
Mentioned: 605 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphalt_FRS View Post
Ha, did not realize I would elicit such a response, I like the passion though! I definitely understand your not wanting to encourage bad driving habits.
On the programming side of things, I also find auto blip to be a waste of technology

Quote:
I currently find it a little hard to rev match on the down-shifts, but that should get a little easier with the tune (better throttle response) and lightweight pulleys. The reach for my heel is a little far as well, haven't really seen any pedals yet that I like enough to buy though. Anyone have any aftermarket pedals they really like?
Heel-toe braking isn't intuitive and it will never come naturally. It will feel awkward in any car, with any set of pedals. But with practice, practice and more practice, your foot will develop the flexibility and coordination to do it. And when you can do it effortlessly in one car, you will find that it won't take more more than a few tries to do it nicely in other cars. My suggestion is not fall into the trap of trying to modify pedals or using unorthodox foot positions. Always give priority to the braking by using the ball of your foot (just under the toes) since braking requires fine adjustments and control. The heel (or more likely, the right edge of your foot) will do the blipping which is much simpler once you get the motion correct. Once this becomes second nature, you will be able to heel-toe in any car with any kind of footwear. The nice thing about heel-toe is that you can practice it every time you brake on the street. You don't need a track and you don't need any special equipment. So after a few weeks of practicing this every day, it will become natural and effortless. Heel-toe is really a prerequisite to any kind of performance driving. So learn it before you go to your next track day

Quote:
Not to try and refute you or start a debate or anything, but wasn't it initially developed by Formual 1? A computer can rev match much faster and easier than a human and enable much quicker shifts (not that my FRF-S is an F1 car or that I need to shift in 5 ms, and I don't even know how fast the ECU in this production car could rev-match, maybe a human is faster). I know I'm not an F1 racer, and the feature definitely lends itself to helping idiots drive a manual, I just can't help loving some of the really cool technology that gets developed and wish my car had more.
Technology should never be a substitute for technique. F1 transmissions are designed for performance, not for testing the shifting abilities of drivers. F1 cars are on an other level compared to anything we will ever drive in our lives. The thought of adding a 3rd pedal and a fully manual transmission to something that corners at a few Gs and requires two hands to steer is terrifying

Quote:
To be honest, the only thing I've ever disliked about my car is the 'Fly by Wire' electronic throttle. It just felt like a video game when I first got it, and I kind of figure if I'm going to compromise give up the mechanical feeling of older cars, I might as well get all the bells and whistles that come with driving computer.
Part of driving is learning how to adapt to different steering response, different brake bias, different pedal positions, throttle response, etc,. I often see people make excuses by citing characteristics of a car. When in fact all cars have different characteristics. It's just the way it is.

Quote:
However I am in no way trying to complain about your product. I am still blown away by all the things it will allow me to do, and the extremely reasonable price it is being offered for. If the anticipation doesn't kill me by tomorrow, I'm sure the excitement after receiving it will cause an aneurism...
Haha no worries. I hope you enjoy it. But when it comes to driving technique and misplaced technologies, I tend to go on tirades. Usually it's best to ignore me

Cheers,
Shiv
Shiv@Openflash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shiv@Openflash For This Useful Post:
Sargy (01-13-2014), solidONE (01-12-2014), zc06_kisstherain (01-13-2014)
Old 01-13-2014, 06:44 AM   #861
nyfries

Drives: 14 FRS Whiteout
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
looking to get the OFT as the first real mod for the car. Any canadian here with the OFT? wondering if there is a tune for canadian gas specifically BC. I'm currently running only chevron 94 as its the only gas without ethanol.
nyfries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:12 PM   #862
Shiv@Openflash

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyfries View Post
looking to get the OFT as the first real mod for the car. Any canadian here with the OFT? wondering if there is a tune for canadian gas specifically BC. I'm currently running only chevron 94 as its the only gas without ethanol.
We have shipped many OFTs to Canada and no issue running our standard pump gas maps on your 94oct fuel
The Following User Says Thank You to Shiv@Openflash For This Useful Post:
nyfries (01-13-2014)
Old 01-13-2014, 01:29 PM   #863
yamsta
daGangsta

Drives: 2013 FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Not sure if I missed the post or not but has the gas (91/93) tune for stage 2 (catless headers) been finalized/released yet? I know its been optimized for OFH + E85, just wasn't sure if it was optimized for 91/93 yet.
yamsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:35 PM   #864
sandman126
Slide Ways

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ, 85 VW Golf
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman126 View Post
I'm sure this has been asked before but has or is anyone that has boosted their ft86 using the OFT? Looked around a bit(not really that hard) and didn't see anything. Installing my turbo kit now and was considering using this for my tuning. Hard to beat the price. Even better if shiv@vishnu would be willing to E-tune this setup.
Anyone?
sandman126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:09 PM   #865
Cross
It's the Mad Cow

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Garage
I know the electronic supercharger setup is using OFT. But other than that I can't help further sorry.

Sent from Spaceball 1
Old 01-13-2014, 03:11 PM   #866
Shiv@Openflash

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman126 View Post
Anyone?
We should have public support for Vortech and ESC later this month
The Following User Says Thank You to Shiv@Openflash For This Useful Post:
sandman126 (01-13-2014)
Old 01-13-2014, 05:04 PM   #867
Jac

Drives: Fiat Abarth
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
We should have public support for Vortech and ESC later this month
Which one are you going to use in your OpenFlash Supercharger package?
Jac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jac For This Useful Post:
Cross (01-13-2014)
Old 01-13-2014, 11:12 PM   #868
Fizz
Senior Addict

Drives: 86 GT
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Can anyone point me to the dyno sheet for OTS tune vs bone stock FRS? I've seen it awhile back but can't find it now...but i think it was with an early version tune (1.0 maybe).

On that note, has anyone got a dyno with the latest v1.42 or v1.50 tune + catted front pipe upgrade?
Fizz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat overtemp