follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 10-29-2014, 01:43 PM   #841
MokSpeed
Granny Shifter

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Thanked 1,289 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Driver View Post
There doesn't seem to be much out there on Halo 5 yet. What have you heard or read? I've looked but haven't found much. Because of Destiny, I'm seriously considering getting the Halo: MasterChief collection when it comes out since I only played Halo 3 and never even finished it. I actually kind of got the impression, initially, that Destiny was going to be some kind of continuation of the Halo series, albeit in an indirect fashion since MS owns the rights to that franchise now. I guess I was wrong about that. It would be very ironic if Halo 5 outperformed the Destiny franchise. Like I said, 343 has to be taking copious notes right now on all the Destiny hoopla. A later entry into the market could be beneficial if cards were played correctly.
Halo 4 was the first of the Reclaimer trilogy. Halo 5 will further advance the story within that. With 343 taking over the franchise, they're going a different direction with the plot. Honestly 343 has done a good job maintaining quality of the Halo franchise. After Destiny has completely failed to meet expectations and Bungie let Activision take them by the horns and gut the game, I'm expecting Halo to blow it out of the water even as a pure FPS game. Remember there's a reason Rubin left Bungie and at the end of the day they're the ones that sold out and left looking for more money.
MokSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MokSpeed For This Useful Post:
53Driver (10-29-2014)
Old 10-29-2014, 01:48 PM   #842
53Driver
T64-416Ax3=13,140shp

Drives: 2002 AP1 and 2015 F-150 EB (DD)
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MokSpeed View Post
Halo 4 was the first of the Reclaimer trilogy. Halo 5 will further advance the story within that. With 343 taking over the franchise, they're going a different direction with the plot. Honestly 343 has done a good job maintaining quality of the Halo franchise. After Destiny has completely failed to meet expectations and Bungie let Activision take them by the horns and gut the game, I'm expecting Halo to blow it out of the water even as a pure FPS game. Remember there's a reason Rubin left Bungie and at the end of the day they're the ones that sold out and left looking for more money.
So here's my thought. If I pick up the Halo collection and start playing it, I probably won't have time for Destiny anymore. Since I never played it from the start, it would get me up to speed for the upcoming Halo 5 game. I did watch a YouTube special on Halo 5 about the time Destiny was being released. I have to admit that what I watched looked very promising, as advertisement is supposed to do. I'm just torn on it right now because I know the Halo collection is getting released in a few weeks, ahead of the Destiny expansion pack. Part of me wants to wait it out and see what I think of the Destiny expansion, part of me wants to start the Halo series since I am behind the times. Better late than never though right?

Edit-Just was reading that if you purchase the Halo: MC collection you'll get a pass to play the Beta starting 12/29/14. Hmmm...

Last edited by 53Driver; 10-29-2014 at 02:09 PM.
53Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 02:10 PM   #843
n2oinferno
Praise Helix!

Drives: Accord 2.0T, Silverado
Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,072 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
So here's my thought. If I pick up the Halo collection and start playing it, I probably won't have time for Destiny anymore. Since I never played it from the start, it would get me up to speed for the upcoming Halo 5 game. I did watch a YouTube special on Halo 5 about the time Destiny was being released. I have to admit that what I watched looked very promising, as advertisement is supposed to do. I'm just torn on it right now because I know the Halo collection is getting released in a few weeks, ahead of the Destiny expansion pack. Part of me wants to wait it out and see what I think of the Destiny expansion, part of me wants to start the Halo series since I am behind the times. Better late than never though right?

Edit-Just was reading that if you purchase the Halo: MC collection you'll get a pass to play the Beta starting 12/29/14. Hmmm...
I would suggest playing Halo. Destiny will still be around when you're done and if you want to go back. I didn't think Halo was amazing or the end-all be-all FPS that a lot of others did, but it was a good game.
n2oinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to n2oinferno For This Useful Post:
53Driver (10-29-2014)
Old 10-29-2014, 02:20 PM   #844
f0rge
head of infinite swagger

Drives: 2013 FR-S 6MT
Garage
The Master Chief collection is a 100% buy no matter what. Great value for great games.

Halo 1, 2, 3 was the war with the convenant and earth just trying to survive.
Reach was like a throwback to the start of the war.
Halo 4 the war is over and forunners are back causing shit

Great story overall, I've even read all the books (like 15) that supplement the stories. I'm what you would call a halo nut. The halo lore is possibly even richer than Destiny lore.

Halo 5 wont be out till probably next Xmas, so you have time. Each of those halo games is 9-12 hours long, so you have a whole year to catch up on ~50 hours of gaming.
2013 Ultramarine FR-S 6MT - Car Journal - SOLD
2004 AlpineWhite M3 6MT - SOLD
f0rge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to f0rge For This Useful Post:
53Driver (10-29-2014)
Old 10-29-2014, 02:46 PM   #845
53Driver
T64-416Ax3=13,140shp

Quote:
Originally Posted by f0rge View Post
The Master Chief collection is a 100% buy no matter what. Great value for great games.

Halo 1, 2, 3 was the war with the convenant and earth just trying to survive.
Reach was like a throwback to the start of the war.
Halo 4 the war is over and forunners are back causing shit

Great story overall, I've even read all the books (like 15) that supplement the stories. I'm what you would call a halo nut. The halo lore is possibly even richer than Destiny lore.

Halo 5 wont be out till probably next Xmas, so you have time. Each of those halo games is 9-12 hours long, so you have a whole year to catch up on ~50 hours of gaming.
Okay, so here's how all this "return to gaming" started for me (not that I am trying to bore you with personal stories). I graduated from college in '96, joined the Marines and never went back to playing video games. Fast forward a few years and the original Xbox comes out and a few of my buddies in the Marines start playing Halo. Based of their conversations at work, it sounded very interesting but at this point I'm married and thinking "video games are for teenagers and college kids".

Now, fast forward many more years. My girlfriend informs me last year that her parents are going to get her 7 year old son an Xbox360 because he's been pleading for one. I'm like "great, just one more kid plugged into the Matrix". Then one day I'm at the gamestore getting him some random game he wants. I start browsing the "adult" rated games and there sit all these Halo games for 360. They have Halo 3 on sale for like $10 and it's listed as a "platinum hit". So I think "heck for $10 why not"? I get home and the girlfriend is like "what, you got a game for yourself"? (I know she's thinking "great, now my boyfriend is going to be plugged into the Matrix")

So I started playing it on Saturday mornings when I was up before her and found that I enjoyed it. Then one Saturday morning while perusing Netflix I see "Halo 4: Forward Until Dawn". So I watch it that night. Wow, I actually thought it was really good and it wanted me knowing more about the series. That's when I started reading up. This is when I find out about Destiny. I start thinking based off what I have seen that this will be some sort of carry over from the Halo series. So long story short, I end up getting an XB1 and Destiny. I've learned since then that there is no connection between the 2 franchises other than Bungie (as far as I can tell so far). Destiny's story is lacking and I am now going back to my original interest in the Halo saga because it is/was very intriguing. I guess I'm a sucker for story line. I want to know why I am doing what I am doing, just running around shooting things without any why gets a little old.

Did you see the Halo 4 movie? What did you think of it?
The Following User Says Thank You to 53Driver For This Useful Post:
f0rge (10-29-2014)
Old 10-29-2014, 03:10 PM   #846
f0rge
head of infinite swagger

Garage
Me? I'm 32 and I never stopped playing video games lol.

I did see the halo 4 movies yes, they included it with Halo 4. Production quality aside I thought it was pretty well done.

The great story in halo is why so many people are butthurt about Destiny. Bungie knows (or knew?) how to make great games with hugely complex stories that span multiple games but can still stand alone. Destiny's story is like the opposite of that.
53Driver (10-29-2014)
Old 10-29-2014, 03:16 PM   #847
53Driver
T64-416Ax3=13,140shp

Quote:
Me? I'm 32 and I never stopped playing video games lol.

I did see the halo 4 movies yes, they included it with Halo 4. Production quality aside I thought it was pretty well done.

The great story in halo is why so many people are butthurt about Destiny. Bungie knows (or knew?) how to make great games with hugely complex stories that span multiple games but can still stand alone. Destiny's story is like the opposite of that.
Yep and I would consider myself an "unbiased" customer since I came with no pre-conceived notions of what Destiny should be since other than my short stint with Halo 3 I'm not a die hard Halo fan since I never really played the series. Yet, Destiny is extremely lacking in story. The mechanics and visuals are great. I've really come to enjoy playing with other people too. It's just the lack of story is driving me nuts.

BTW @f0rge looks like JDub is going to try and organize a raid around 9:30 EST tonight if you're interested.
Old 10-29-2014, 03:34 PM   #848
f0rge
head of infinite swagger

Garage
Quote:
BTW @f0rge looks like JDub is going to try and organize a raid around 9:30 EST tonight if you're interested.
I'm extremely interested but sadly I'm going to see The Book of Mormon with GF tonight, it was her b-day present. Won't be home till late I figure.

Damn two nights in a row I'm missing out. Stupid real life getting in the way.
Old 10-29-2014, 03:37 PM   #849
53Driver
T64-416Ax3=13,140shp

Quote:
I'm extremely interested but sadly I'm going to see The Book of Mormon with GF tonight, it was her b-day present. Won't be home till late I figure.

Damn two nights in a row I'm missing out. Stupid real life getting in the way.
Wait, I thought you were married?
Old 10-29-2014, 04:03 PM   #850
f0rge
head of infinite swagger

Garage
Hahaha well sorta. We're common law. Been together for 6 years, own a house together, file taxes together. I call her "the wife" but we're not legally married.

Despite the fact we're going to spend the rest of our lives together we've never bothered to get married, nor do we have any real plans to make that happen. Not having kids so figured it wasn't a big deal.

I let her drive my car, actually "our" car lol. That's how you know it's serious.
53Driver (10-29-2014)
Old 10-29-2014, 05:49 PM   #851
00NissanNinja
The Thread Lurker

Drives: '14 BRZ, '17 GTI, MT09
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelhaus View Post
They did a fantastic job making the whole game world feel immersive and palpable, but it feels like a modern action movie story where we're just dropped in wondering wtf is going on...
I get you on dark souls for sure. They really nailed the subtle story telling, there were little tid bits of everything as you adventured through the game, almost like you were reading a book and filled in the small details with you perceptions. The items you pick up, the people you see, the enemies and places you visit, all have some history that you can really start feeling a sense of story and motivation to see where things will go at the end. I'm definitely looking forward to BloodBorne!

But Destiny like you said seemed to try all sorts of story telling methods at once and screwed it up. I mean from the get go you get revived from death by the ghost and then the character just blindly follows the thing? I mean who the heck is going to do that. And then the character acts as though this world is nothing new and just willingly hops into the fray. The sloppy way the story is told just makes more and more plot holes that just make the player go just what the hell is going on.

But with souls they really give you a world of discovery. You and the character at the beginning both have a sense of confusion about the world but then more and more becomes clear. All the small hints and nods give you a bit of focus and insight to keep the story in focus and give motivation to see the end. I fell part of the reason destiny cannot nail that subtle story telling is because of the idea of its a shared world with multitudes of guardians. I find it amazing that you don't get some sort of introduction as a guardian of the tower, some sort of this is why we fight.

And one more thing was how ridiculous is it that an awoken visiting the awoken is shat upon by the awoken. I read in the grimore that some returned to earth after the collapse, but it was another odd story moment. Lol sorry I could go on and on haha. But the gameplay is great its a shame the story just couldn't quite sell the experience fully.
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 00NissanNinja For This Useful Post:
f0rge (10-30-2014), wheelhaus (10-29-2014)
Old 10-30-2014, 12:37 AM   #852
SP86
2S Crew

Drives: a 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Would anyone care to drop into my nightfall match right now? Would be awesome we're at the final vex thing lol. @LA_Jit via psn
Old 10-30-2014, 11:38 AM   #853
KonTheory

Drives: '14 FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
In case you dont know, this might help you out, This weeks nightfall, if you drop down from the cliff to fight the final boss, right below you when you drop down is a little cave with an opening on either side... I solo'd the nightfall just hiding in there and popping out of either side with my void sniper and rocketlauncher...
ammo packs are a big help, and being a warlock that can self res is also a big help
but if you have more than one person, you just go into that cave and only have 1 person pop out and shoot at a time, and the other guy is there to res you when you die.. doesnt take long at all to complete this weeks nightfall
'14 Raven FRS - Toyota Badges - Helix Smoked Side Markers - K&N Drop-in - 3" Nameless Axleback 4" Mufflers - Tinted Back Windows - RCE Yellow Springs - Openflash Tablet - OLM HID Kit - Cusco strut bar - TRD Quickshifter - 17x9 Enkei RPF1's with Nitto NT05's
KonTheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 11:55 AM   #854
f0rge
head of infinite swagger

Garage
This week's nightfall seems to be one of the easier ones.

Even if you stay up on the platform before the boss with 3 people, 2 of you should be able to handle that Minotaur spawn while one guys uses Void rockets/sniper.

I cleared the first area (3 servitors) 4 times by myself on monday very easily using only a Void fusion rifle to finish off the Pocket Infinity bounty (which then went straight to my vault).