follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 09-11-2014, 02:13 PM   #71
celica73

Drives: '13 BRZ / '11 Outback / '06 Tundra
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phastafrican View Post
I don't think you'll find any other DOT R-compound in 215/17 other than R888. The approved wheel width is 7.0" - 8.0", so 17x8" should work just fine. Just keep in mind you are seriously giving up on some lateral grip by running the narrow tire. That could be a huge performance hit and corner speed disadvantage, but I'm interested in the results...
Never mind the performance he gives up by running the R888.
celica73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 02:29 PM   #72
phastafrican

Drives: 2013 Raven Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by celica73 View Post
Never mind the performance he gives up by running the R888.
There's that too. But some will argue you can win TT on street tires (i disagree). So if the rest of the competition shows up on street tires or RA-1s, then R888 is a viable option.
RaceCar:2013 Scion FR-S #986 NASA PTD || Tow:2011 Dodge Durango R/T
phastafrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 05:21 PM   #73
THEmailman

Drives: Raven 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I meant to say higher rated R comps like the Z214....it nets you 9 or 13 points. Its an interesting thought but it sounds like the consensus is that the wider tire is better.

And after looking around there isnt anything besides the R888 in 215 so I guess 225 it'll be.
Goodridge SS brake lines//ProjectMu 999's//Motul DOT 5.1 brake fluid//GrimmSpeed master cylinder brace//Jackson Racing Oil Cooler//Whiteline camber bolts//Raceseng CamCas plates//Kosei K4R 17x8//BFGoodrich Rivals 225/45

Last edited by THEmailman; 09-11-2014 at 09:20 PM.
THEmailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 09:54 PM   #74
JustDoItMikey

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
KW v3 is a double adjustable coilover: Rebound & Compression.

*** Full slicks are worth +30pts ***
I don't think you'll find any other DOT R-compound in 215/17 other than R888. The approved wheel width is 7.0" - 8.0", so 17x8" should work just fine. Just keep in mind you are seriously giving up on some lateral grip by running the narrow tire. That could be a huge performance hit and corner speed disadvantage, but I'm interested in the results...
Depressing. Every time I check this thread I find out the mods I planned cost more points. Lol.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:41 PM   #75
phastafrican

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustDoItMikey View Post
Depressing. Every time I check this thread I find out the mods I planned cost more points. Lol.
LOL! Now you know why my car is completely stock other than tires and brakes. All my points are assigned to Weight reduction until I can really decide. I've had my OFT/OFH combo sitting for months now. I don't think it's worth the points for engine mods once I figure out E85 transport and tune to max hp.

OFF-TOPIC: After analyzing the data from top 3 cars in TTD, there only way we can beat the E36 M3s is with higher corner speeds. That means stickiest tires and mad suspension. Hal was at 195hp and 2860lbs and on new hoosier 225 A6s... still lost out by 3mph into T1, and up to 5mph into T10 with similar corner exit speeds out of T10b and T7. Granted, he lost the most time at T3 and T5, which left him a total of 3.7 seconds off the pace (1:39.8 combined sectors for Cantor). To win Nationals at VIR or RA, it has to be done on Hoosiers!!!

Last edited by phastafrican; 09-12-2014 at 12:12 AM.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:09 PM   #76
ja1217

Drives: 2004 Toyota RAV-4 5M
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
LOL! Now you know why my car is completely stock other than tires and brakes. All my points are assigned to Weight reduction until I can really decide. I've had my OFT/OFH combo sitting for months now. I don't think it's worth the points for engine mods once I figure out E85 transport and tune to max hp.

OFF-TOPIC: After analyzing the data from top 3 cars in TTD, there's only way we can beat the E36 M3s is with higher corner speeds. That means stickiest tires and mad suspension. Hal was at 195hp and 2860lbs and on new hoosier 225 A6s... still lost out by 3mph into T1, and up to 6mph into T10 with similar corner exit speeds out of T10b and T7. Granted, he lost the most time at T3 and T5, which left him a total of 3.7 seconds off the pace (1:39.8 combined sectors for Cantor). To win Nationals at VIR or RA, it has to be done on Hoosiers!!!
I'm going to be testing my own theory that more power (hoping for ~15whp from header/tune) and less sticky tires (225 Maxxis Rc1) may be faster than my current set up with 225 Hoosier R6's. I'm thinking that the extra power and less rolling resistance from the tires ought to let me at least match the speed of the E36's at the end of the straight. I'm hoping that I can still keep up in the corners thanks to less weight and better suspension (also probably going to throw an clutch type LSD on too). Rolling resistance does make a significant difference. My speed at the end of the straights with street tires is consistently 3-6mph faster than with the hoosiers. All I know is my current setup was 2 seconds off Marc Cantor's pace at Summit Point earlier this year, and while I had some room to improve my driving, I certainly didn't have 2 seconds left in the car.
ja1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 11:40 PM   #77
phastafrican

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1217 View Post
I'm going to be testing my own theory that more power (hoping for ~15whp from header/tune) and less sticky tires (225 Maxxis Rc1) may be faster than my current set up with 225 Hoosier R6's. I'm thinking that the extra power and less rolling resistance from the tires ought to let me at least match the speed of the E36's at the end of the straight. I'm hoping that I can still keep up in the corners thanks to less weight and better suspension (also probably going to throw an clutch type LSD on too). Rolling resistance does make a significant difference. My speed at the end of the straights with street tires is consistently 3-6mph faster than with the hoosiers. All I know is my current setup was 2 seconds off Marc Cantor's pace at Summit Point earlier this year, and while I had some room to improve my driving, I certainly didn't have 2 seconds left in the car.
Sounds like you're leaving a good bit of corner speed. With the added grip, you should be able to pick up full throttle quicker than on a tread with higher UTQ, which should translate to better top end speed. I'm 1.5 seconds faster on R6 compared to RC-1 and 2 seconds over RA-1(but it was an older set).
Give it a shot and share the results from your data analysis. It'll be interesting if the ohlins are playing a role in this regard since I compared on stock suspension. Or I possibly just got faster from being comfortable with the car.

Last edited by phastafrican; 09-12-2014 at 12:16 AM.
Old 09-12-2014, 01:30 AM   #78
ja1217

Quote:
Sounds like you're leaving a good bit of corner speed. With the added grip, you should be able to pick up full throttle quicker than on a tread with higher UTQ, which should translate to better top end speed. I'm 1.5 seconds faster on R6 compared to RC-1 and 2 seconds over RA-1(but it was an older set).
Give it a shot and share the results from your data analysis. It'll be interesting if the ohlins are playing a role in this regard since I compared on stock suspension. Or I possibly just got faster from being comfortable with the car.
I'm faster overall laptime on the R6's compared to my street tires (235/40 Z2's), but have greater straight line speed on the Z2's, even though I'm getting on the throttle earlier and carrying more speed through the turns. For example:

The green line is the Z2's and the red line is the Hoosier R6. I was just over a second slower on the street tires than the hoosiers at Summit Point Main and you can see from the graph that even though I'm on the gas earlier and carrying more speed, the street tire simply out accelerates the hoosiers on any medium to long straight. I'm hoping that a tire like the RC-1 will be a good middle ground while allowing me to pick up some more horsepower.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ja1217 For This Useful Post:
DarkSunrise (09-12-2014), juliog (09-12-2014)
Old 09-12-2014, 09:09 AM   #79
celica73

It looks like you are under driving the R6 tires in the braking zones (or they don't brake as well as the streets). The graph sure makes it look like the deltaV for the streets is much greater in roughly the same distance. That means more grip from the street tires, or not enough brake application on the race tires.

Still, it's pretty cool to see the speed difference. I never would have expected that magnitude.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:20 AM   #80
ja1217

Quote:
Originally Posted by celica73 View Post
It looks like you are under driving the R6 tires in the braking zones (or they don't brake as well as the streets). The graph sure makes it look like the deltaV for the streets is much greater in roughly the same distance. That means more grip from the street tires, or not enough brake application on the race tires.

Still, it's pretty cool to see the speed difference. I never would have expected that magnitude.
To be fair, the R6's were on their 20th heat cycle which I'm sure didn't help braking distances. Rolling resistance and acceleration still applies though.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:30 AM   #81
celica73

Quote:
To be fair, the R6's were on their 20th heat cycle which I'm sure didn't help braking distances. Rolling resistance and acceleration still applies though.
I figured there was a simple answer. With that many heat cycles, I'm surprised they had that much more grip in the turns.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:32 AM   #82
celica73

Quote:
*** Full slicks are worth +30pts ***
It's interesting to see which rules are there to keep costs in check.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:50 AM   #83
JustDoItMikey

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Quote:
I'm faster overall laptime on the R6's compared to my street tires (235/40 Z2's), but have greater straight line speed on the Z2's, even though I'm getting on the throttle earlier and carrying more speed through the turns. For example:

The green line is the Z2's and the red line is the Hoosier R6. I was just over a second slower on the street tires than the hoosiers at Summit Point Main and you can see from the graph that even though I'm on the gas earlier and carrying more speed, the street tire simply out accelerates the hoosiers on any medium to long straight. I'm hoping that a tire like the RC-1 will be a good middle ground while allowing me to pick up some more horsepower.
What are you guys using to record this data? Im thinking this needs to be the first "mod" I invest in so I can track what makes a difference and what doesnt.

Also from reading all of this, and a better understanding of what points I was misapplying it looks like there is no way around just slapping mods on the car and going out there and doing well. For instance to put a well sorted RCE T2's on the car will cost 10 points, but if you spend the time thru trial and error and get a custom spring rate custom valved non adjustable coilover you can do it for 4 points. So to me it looks like trail and error will in most cases be the only way to tell what works best for the track and your driving style while costing the least points.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:10 AM   #84
celica73

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustDoItMikey View Post
Also from reading all of this, and a better understanding of what points I was misapplying it looks like there is no way around just slapping mods on the car and going out there and doing well. For instance to put a well sorted RCE T2's on the car will cost 10 points, but if you spend the time thru trial and error and get a custom spring rate custom valved non adjustable coilover you can do it for 4 points. So to me it looks like trail and error will in most cases be the only way to tell what works best for the track and your driving style while costing the least points.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rules
Code:
E. SUSPENSION:
1) Non-BTM shocks/struts/dampers with an external reservoir or more than two ranges of
adjustment—must still take points for springs below +8 (example: compression (bump)
and both high & low rebound adjustments).
2) Non-BTM shocks/struts/dampers with a “Piggy Back” external reservoir (fixed reservoir
without a connecting hose) OR with shaft diameter 40mm or greater—must still take
additional points for the springs below +5
3) Non-BTM or modified/re-valved shocks/struts/dampers +3 (all others)(springs not included)
4) Changing the mounting orientation/design of the BTM shock and/or spring perch in order to
invert the front shocks/struts (includes non-BTM inverted shocks/struts) +1
5) Non-BTM or modified coil springs, leaf springs/spacers/brackets, or torsion bars +2
6) Conversion of torsion bar/leaf spring suspension to coil spring and strut/shock suspension +2
7) Add, replace, remove, or modify anti-roll bars (“sway” bars—front, rear, or both) or end
links—may have spherical joints on the end links and/or relocation of the mounting points
without additional points assessment +2
I'm not seeing that for the RCE T2. They should be 5 points. They are only double adjustable with no remote reservoirs. They are not inverted, or have large shafts. That puts them in E3 and E5 for a total of 5 points. It's no different than running off the shelf Koni's and lowering springs.