follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 03-02-2012, 11:48 AM   #71
Allch Chcar

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by borge12 View Post
And with the average being 20.8 deaths / 100,000 people, and the US at 12.3 deaths /100,000, I think we can safely say that correlation does not imply causation.
Countries like GB, France, and Germany have half the death rate of the US. That's pretty significant.

I'm not implying that a car's gearbox have anything to do with it. But I do believe it is a symptom of an underlying problem, lack of attentiveness to driving. Manuals give you more control over the gear changes, so they can be faster(depends now), or more fuel efficient, which is more important in heavily fuel taxed Western Europe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
Just curious how many people took their exam in a manual?

I took my test in my own manual car, but the common thinking was, learn on manual, test on auto.
I learned/tested on an auto, because that is all we had at the time. But that is what my parents recommended anyway for a newbie driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonitti View Post
Daily Driver, occasional weekend drifter.
Allch Chcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:22 PM   #72
ZSwierczynski

Drives: A hotwheels car
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
First car was a manual. I hated the car but the price was right for that car, 0 dollars . My second car which I paid and put in the transmission and other needed items, was $3000. Manual too but got rid of because I was moving to California and at the time I wasn't working so I could not afford the gas without not eating. My car which I am driving now, is an automatic. They make them into manual but it was my dads and my stepmom occasionally drove it and she cannot drive stick. If I go back to stick, it needs to be a sport car, not an economically vehicle.
ZSwierczynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:15 PM   #73
val_lixembeau

Drives: Acura RSX-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by madfast View Post
he said "lock up feature" which means early lock up. for example the IS-F has lock up on gears 2-8 in manual mode. even though most cars have lock up torque converters, many of them dont lock up unless you're cruising.
Ahhh... didn't think of that interpretation. I would have said early/aggressive/wide range lock-up or something like that. Totally didn't occur to me that adjective-less lock-up could mean that haha
val_lixembeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:32 PM   #74
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Simple questions:
Is it easier to learn on an auto or a manual?

Therefore does learning and getting tested on a manual make it more difficult to get a license?

Would it be one small step towards a more stringent and effective licensing system?
learn what, to drive a car in the most basic sense of the word or to navigate through a sea of other metal boxes operated by people on a daily basis?

whether a car is AT or MT has little impact on learning the general awareness required to operate a vehicle on public roads intelligently.

also, my own personal preference is that having an automatic car for stop and go traffic is a pain in the ass, i would rather be forced to work a little harder to get my car to move rather than have the car move forward on its own during a brain fart moment.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:19 PM   #75
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thgear View Post
learn what, to drive a car in the most basic sense of the word or to navigate through a sea of other metal boxes operated by people on a daily basis?

whether a car is AT or MT has little impact on learning the general awareness required to operate a vehicle on public roads intelligently.

also, my own personal preference is that having an automatic car for stop and go traffic is a pain in the ass, i would rather be forced to work a little harder to get my car to move rather than have the car move forward on its own during a brain fart moment.
I know enough people in Metro Vancouver that would probably rather take public transit than pay to fail a driving test if it required a manual. People are lazy, and have enough trouble navigating the metal box sea as it is. Plus with all of these private driver 'training' businesses, coupled with examiners apathy to oblivious drivers because people 'need' to be able to drive (not even counting the few 'buy a license' scandals we've had here), the manual transmission exam (coupled with examiners that took their job seriously) would actually be a very effective filtering tool. At least in Vancouver.

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/ne...e-0d225eb5de21

And if you think that catching this one has fixed it, oh boy...

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:26 PM   #76
madfast

Drives: 2010 Evo X MR-T
Quote:
I know enough people in Metro Vancouver that would probably rather take public transit than pay to fail a driving test if it required a manual. People are lazy, and have enough trouble navigating the metal box sea as it is. Plus with all of these private driver 'training' businesses, coupled with examiners apathy to oblivious drivers because people 'need' to be able to drive (not even counting the few 'buy a license' scandals we've had here), the manual transmission exam (coupled with examiners that took their job seriously) would actually be a very effective filtering tool. At least in Vancouver.
again, your whole argument is predicated on the notion that it is difficult to drive a manual. it is not. if manuals were required for the test, then people would just learn manual, pass the test, get a license, then crash. you have it in engrained in your mind that most people cant learn manual and perform well enough to pass a test. where that idea comes from, only god knows. what i do know is that it does nothing to curb people from being inattentive behind the wheel.
madfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:38 PM   #77
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
i don't know how kids see this whole MT/AT thing nowdays, but back in the 90's driving manual meant you were one mother fucking bad ass mother fucker.

today i don't think many people care, they don't want to bother understanding and just think manual is a relic from the industrial revolution :P

back in the day i'd have my peers' eyes sparkle when they got in my car and saw that i had a standard

nowadays people don't notice, half way through a trip they are like "why are you always moving your shifter, isnt that bad?"

derp
Old 03-06-2012, 05:28 PM   #78
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Garage
Quote:
again, your whole argument is predicated on the notion that it is difficult to drive a manual. it is not. if manuals were required for the test, then people would just learn manual, pass the test, get a license, then crash. you have it in engrained in your mind that most people cant learn manual and perform well enough to pass a test. where that idea comes from, only god knows. what i do know is that it does nothing to curb people from being inattentive behind the wheel.
Completely disagree. Every little thing that makes is more difficult for retards to get their license is an improvement.

Go read the link I posted (and there are more than that single incident, just here). People are so bad that they need to bribe examiners and probably justify it to themselves that well they CAN operate the car (turn, stop, go) and NEED to drive. Examiner are likely lax for the same logic, even without the bribes.

Now if you add the complexity of the clutch (starting on a hill), gear selection (being at the right rpm for merging, etc...), plus the stress of the exam, more people WILL be filtered out. Some would even give up before even trying (at least around here). And this would be ultimately beneficial.

Because titanium.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:27 PM   #79
madfast

Drives: 2010 Evo X MR-T
Quote:
Completely disagree. Every little thing that makes is more difficult for retards to get their license is an improvement.

Go read the link I posted (and there are more than that single incident, just here). People are so bad that they need to bribe examiners and probably justify it to themselves that well they CAN operate the car (turn, stop, go) and NEED to drive. Examiner are likely lax for the same logic, even without the bribes.
anybody bad enough that they'd have to bribe their way to a license wouldnt be able to drive, period. AT vs MT doesnt matter in these cases.

Quote:
Now if you add the complexity of the clutch (starting on a hill), gear selection (being at the right rpm for merging, etc...), plus the stress of the exam, more people WILL be filtered out. Some would even give up before even trying (at least around here). And this would be ultimately beneficial.
Hill start? that's a test of coordination.
gear selection? anybody who has ever ridden a bicycle knows the basics of shifting. thats all the practical knowledge they need for everyday driving.
stress of the exam? puh-leez...
give up before they try? meh. they'd more than likely bribe someone...
madfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:30 PM   #80
LSxJunkie
Douchebag

Drives: 2014 Mustang GT
And around and around we go. Clearly no minds will be changed here.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:39 PM   #81
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
anybody bad enough that they'd have to bribe their way to a license wouldnt be able to drive, period. AT vs MT doesnt matter in these cases.
I believe it has less to do with ability to drive and more to do with status of citizenship.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:42 PM   #82
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSxJunkie View Post
And around and around we go. Clearly no minds will be changed here.
It's slow. No official pricing yet...

Because titanium.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:40 PM   #83
LSxJunkie
Douchebag

Drives: 2014 Mustang GT
Quote:
It's slow. No official pricing yet...
And then everyone will be up in arms because if it's anywhere over $5 for a dozen, everyone will say its too damned expensive.