follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 12-04-2011, 12:45 PM   #799
ruskymx

Drives: 13 HotLava FRS, 93 4Runner, 97 Taco
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
For all the debate about the weight savings of dual CC vs the manual knobs & push button start in the FR-S is probably like the difference between eating a Denny's Super Grand Slam and having some fruit for breakfast on the way to the track.

For me, the biggest weight saving "mod" would be to lay off the wings and beers! :happy0180:

Each person is entitled to their own opinion and everyone is not going to agree with each other. Such is life! At least treat people with respect, because last I checked, you have to be 18 to be able to finance a car and that qualifies you an "adult" legally so ACT like one!

People have to flex their "keyboard" muscles all the time. Same thing going on in my FF league now, but when you see the people in person, it's like nothing happened.

The way I see things, Scion will only ever have the low spec version. If Toyota/Scion gives the USDM a higher spec version, it will be in the form of a RS Scion or they will bring the GT-86 to the US in the future. The dual CC does look good, and I highly doubt that it will be available as an accessory for the Scion. CC has always been a factory installed option on Toyota models.

Leather and heated seats can be added when ever you want. There are companies out there that make some really nice kits that you can pick and choose stitching, colors, materials (suede, solid leather, perforated leather, etc) and heated seats can be added at the same time. It will cost around $1,000-$1,200 to do it and depending on what company you use, they will warranty their work for 3 years just like OEM does. I personally think that if you have leather, heated seats is a MUST as well. They go together like PB & J.

I cannot wait until we can get our cars and start doing what we want to them. Posting our work on here and doing write-ups etc and giving each other ideas. That is one of the best things about forums. It doesn't matter if it's an FR-S, BRZ or GT-86. Can't we all just get along?!? lol

Ruskymx
ruskymx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 12:48 PM   #800
Matador
hashiryu

Drives: Mk4 Supra
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
**Edit** ^ What he said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuggernaut View Post
The arguments justifying the lack of creature comfort options in the FR-S due to it being a track car are asinine. I've been doing track days since 2001 and even the most hardcore track psychos I know, incl one who lives a few minutes from the track - we say he lives at the track - do maybe a dozen track days a year. This will be nowhere NEAR what any of you will do. So that's what, 12-24 days of track driving out of 365 (including quite a few of those spent on winter tires for some of us)? So this is NOT a track car. This is a road car that has some extremely sparse track duty.

I have a dedicated track car and sure, it has no AC, heater, has fixed seats, welded sunroof, rollcage, no interior, a turning circle which makes a normal 3 pt turn into 8 due to the size of tires and minimal exhaust with no cats. It doesn't and legally can't spend any time in traffic, so when it's not being beaten on, it's being worked on. If I complained about lack of climate control, heated seats or navigation (or even presence of a stereo) in this car, I would entertain any and all claims of my stupidity.

But spare me any fuhraze pretensions for a brand new, street legal Toyota. It's not a racecar. So the only legitimate reason I could accept for the FR-S having a castrated option sheet, is Toyota is telling me that Scions are for poor people so no one will ever buy one over say, 25k.

I'm holding out hope that they're simply choosing to show a cheaper version of the FR-S (one they expect to sell more of) and in reality, it will be available with all of the same options. But if not, they've lost one more client to the BRZ (same pocket in the end I guess, but I still feel sorry for Scion dealers). And it's got nothing to do with me "not getting what this car is really all about". Quite the contrary.

Dude. What lack of creature comforts? OMG, I'm going to die from the lack of seat warmers and I actually have to turn a dial to put on the AC....

Somebody call the MIB, it's the end of the world.

Good God....

The Scion will be cheaper. This is why it's a clone of the "low spec" JDM version. Converse goes for the Subaru. Why is this a big deal? If you MUST have DZCC and but warmers, buy the more expensive Subaru... Jesus... it's the SAME CAR. If both were available in the same configuration, there would be no compelling reason to buy one or the other. You get what you pay for. You want a $21k car, it's "de-contented". You want nicer stuff? Pony up the $24k..... Why are you people still beating a dead horse? Man alive, it's as if some people can never be happy.......
The 'FT' stands for 'forgot topic'.
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 12:57 PM   #801
LSxJunkie
Douchebag

Drives: 2014 Mustang GT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
They were designed and built to be FUN TO DRIVE, not FUN TO DRIVE (only without heated seats).
I'll be waiting patiently for this thread.

"ZOMG THESE F****XXXXING HEATED SEATS HAVE COMPLETELY RUINED MY DRIVING EXPERIENCE"
Old 12-04-2011, 01:12 PM   #802
madfast

Drives: 2010 Evo X MR-T
Again. I think in general people are upset over the PRINCIPLE of the matter. the fact that toyota chose not to give us the good stuff. come detroit, maybe there will be an option, who knows. but assuming there isnt that option, toyota has done a disservice to the people who DO want these features by making this car a scion, which means that the car will be cheap and decontented...
madfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 02:01 PM   #803
Mari0
Car Enthusiast

Drives: tC 05 & 07, Rav4
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by madfast View Post
Again. I think in general people are upset over the PRINCIPLE of the matter. the fact that toyota chose not to give us the good stuff. come detroit, maybe there will be an option, who knows. but assuming there isnt that option, toyota has done a disservice to the people who DO want these features by making this car a scion, which means that the car will be cheap and decontented...
I feel like a lot of you know NOTHING about Scion other than their supposed customer demographic. Not to mention that if you actually paid attention to this site you would have known that a video was posted of the VP of Scion after the FR-S reveal saying something along the lines of: "THE FR-S WILL HAVE THE MOST OPTIONS OUT OF ANY SCION BEFORE!"

This is not directed specifically towards you, but it needs to be said (for the 100th time apparently). Toyota has actually done right by the people. They will give us a bigger range of options than Subaru. Subaru starts pretty loaded where as you can have the Scion either almost stripped out or fully loaded depending on your needs

EDIT: found it! go to 1:03

[u2b]dIVWz1Kl_Oc?t[/u2b]

Last edited by Mari0; 12-04-2011 at 02:54 PM.
Mari0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 03:01 PM   #804
CoryUyede
NisSubuGuru?

Drives: 2011 Subaru WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari0 View Post
I feel like a lot of you know NOTHING about Scion other than their supposed customer demographic. Not to mention that if you actually paid attention to this site you would have known that a video was posted of the VP of Scion after the FR-S reveal saying something along the lines of: "THE FR-S WILL HAVE THE MOST OPTIONS OUT OF ANY SCION BEFORE!"

This is not directed specifically towards you, but it needs to be said (for the 100th time apparently). Toyota has actually done right by the people. They will give us a bigger range of options than Subaru. Subaru starts pretty loaded where as you can have the Scion either almost stripped out or fully loaded depending on your needs

EDIT: found it! go to 1:03

[u2b]dIVWz1Kl_Oc?t[/u2b]
Yes, well said.

When it comes to Options, the Subaru will just keep it to whatever you get on a premium..and whatever is on the Limited. "Additional" options i can bet are the lame variety of subaru accessories...like Winter floor mats, block heaters, wheel locks, spoiler, fog lights...etc.etc.

I expect the scion to blow subaru's "additional" options out of the water...so i don't see why people are so quick to judge..the damn things aren't even out yet. Maybe once detroit rolls around and they can confirm some things, then we can start having a reasonable debate.

Past to Present
CoryUyede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 03:19 PM   #805
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatadorRacing_F1 View Post
**Edit** ^ What he said.

Dude. What lack of creature comforts? OMG, I'm going to die from the lack of seat warmers and I actually have to turn a dial to put on the AC....

Somebody call the MIB, it's the end of the world.

Good God....

The Scion will be cheaper. This is why it's a clone of the "low spec" JDM version. Converse goes for the Subaru. Why is this a big deal? If you MUST have DZCC and but warmers, buy the more expensive Subaru... Jesus... it's the SAME CAR. If both were available in the same configuration, there would be no compelling reason to buy one or the other. You get what you pay for. You want a $21k car, it's "de-contented". You want nicer stuff? Pony up the $24k..... Why are you people still beating a dead horse? Man alive, it's as if some people can never be happy.......

You do realize that it's you and others that are making it a big deal right? Is there really a need for the sarcastic passive agressive remarks? The rest of us are simply explaining why we like those things and that those things do not make the car any less of a drivers car. No one is even complaining that the FR-S doesn't have those things at this point.

The FR-S is not a clone of the low spec version technically as it includes multiple high spec options. It and the BRZ Premium are very very similar and that will come down to brand preference since I'm pretty sure HIDs will be offered as an option on the FR-S (and that's really the only difference assuming the lack of a telescopic wheel thing in the FR-S isn't true).

Only the BRZ Limited seems to have those items as standard if we believe MotorTrend and others at least.
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 03:23 PM   #806
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Quote:

Hopefully. Those options could also be ambiant lighting in the interior, 37 different head units, etc.

We will know in Detroit *hopefully* until then it's really just speculation.

As I've said before I hope that Scion offers every piece as an option so I can get the car exactly as I want it instead of taking the Nav system that subaru is forcing me to buy, plus I don't care about the CC so much and push to start.
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Old 12-04-2011, 04:55 PM   #807
Matador
hashiryu

Drives: Mk4 Supra
Quote:
You do realize that it's you and others that are making it a big deal right? Is there really a need for the sarcastic passive agressive remarks? The rest of us are simply explaining why we like those things and that those things do not make the car any less of a drivers car. No one is even complaining that the FR-S doesn't have those things at this point.

The FR-S is not a clone of the low spec version technically as it includes multiple high spec options. It and the BRZ Premium are very very similar and that will come down to brand preference since I'm pretty sure HIDs will be offered as an option on the FR-S (and that's really the only difference assuming the lack of a telescopic wheel thing in the FR-S isn't true).

Only the BRZ Limited seems to have those items as standard if we believe MotorTrend and others at least.

What? Me making it a big deal? Dude ... you know what, forget it, whatever. Yes, It's obvious it has componentry from the "high-spec" model... I see that. For all intents and purposes though, it is a "low spec" with one or two bits thrown in. I for one, don't care. I am not the one complaining. I never once said that anybody is going to have a better driving experience for better or worse without the features. That onus falls on you bunch one way or another. All I'm saying is that wether or not Scion offers it, it is available in the way of the Subaru. If you interpret my comments as passive aggressive, I apologize, that's all I have left to say with respect to this topic. Enjoy.
The 'FT' stands for 'forgot topic'.
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 05:53 PM   #808
Phontsolo

Drives: 2011 Mazda 2 Touring
Quote:
"THE FR-S WILL HAVE THE MOST OPTIONS OUT OF ANY SCION BEFORE!"
Let's hope so. All i want to see is that Scion offer all or close to the same options available on the Japanese and European Toyota 86.
Phontsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:39 PM   #809
Chupacabra
'it's the yeti of Texas'

Drives: 2013 Whiteout 6MT FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatadorRacing_F1 View Post
What? Me making it a big deal? Dude ... you know what, forget it, whatever. Yes, It's obvious it has componentry from the "high-spec" model... I see that. For all intents and purposes though, it is a "low spec" with one or two bits thrown in. I for one, don't care. I am not the one complaining. I never once said that anybody is going to have a better driving experience for better or worse without the features. That onus falls on you bunch one way or another. All I'm saying is that wether or not Scion offers it, it is available in the way of the Subaru. If you interpret my comments as passive aggressive, I apologize, that's all I have left to say with respect to this topic. Enjoy.

I'm just joking... I can tell y'all are good, I just had to break the tension from two established FT86club members.

We all look forward to the many months of, many months of, many months of repetition and sadness until our cars get here (FR-S or BRZ or Gen-Coupes for all the ninny's)
Chupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:24 PM   #810
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

lol I didn't even know there was tension
Old 12-05-2011, 09:02 PM   #811
tripjammer

Drives: WRB BRZ limited 6MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Man if feels rough in here...LOL!

Anyways glad somebody came with the info that Scion is going to offer the most options on the FR-S. I am down with Scion FR-S if this is true!

Give me the lowest price to start with and let me add what options I want line item by line item. Pretty much everybody is going to order this car. And I am ok in waiting the two months to get my car after I place the order. I order all my cars anyways.

Just don't leave us so much in the dark Scion. Give us some bones. Show us a decked out FR-S going around a track somehwhere in the good old USA. So we can get even more excited...
tripjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 12:37 AM   #812
Mari0
Car Enthusiast

Drives: tC 05 & 07, Rav4
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripjammer View Post
Man if feels rough in here...LOL!

Anyways glad somebody came with the info that Scion is going to offer the most options on the FR-S. I am down with Scion FR-S if this is true!

Give me the lowest price to start with and let me add what options I want line item by line item. Pretty much everybody is going to order this car. And I am ok in waiting the two months to get my car after I place the order. I order all my cars anyways.

Just don't leave us so much in the dark Scion. Give us some bones. Show us a decked out FR-S going around a track somehwhere in the good old USA. So we can get even more excited...
Just to clarify, in the video he compared it to other Scions, not Toyota/Subaru. Now, it's a safe bet that it will have a ton more options than the BRZ, but we can't just assume it will have all the JDM options of both trim levels of the GT86, plus all the possible TRD/Modellista/etc kits. Although, I am really positive in that we will have enough options to make most people happy. Not to mention that we will also get a five axis kit (unique to US).

As far as more info, they will do it closer to release obviously. They don't want to ruin the hype machine by giving us everything so early.
Mari0 is offline   Reply With Quote