follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 11-17-2014, 08:04 PM   #7883
GTO5005

Drives: White Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
So, I showed my car at the 86 Bash yesterday and it got some attention(which is nice because my car is all go, no show), I saw a lot of perplexed faces, but I did get a few that knew what it was and were really excited to see it. I went to your site and tried to get a FAQ but there wasn't one under the tab at the time. Do you have a secret one started @fenton (or anyone else) that you might want to send my way? Or should I start digging and compiling my own? I know the answers to most of the questions however every once in a while I get one that stumps me. My ESC really makes my car different from the ones in the area, which pretty cool since there are ALOT of 86s here.

P.S- If Rob goes big with these, I call dibs as a Phoenix sales rep

DAEMANO (11-17-2014), raven1231 (11-17-2014)
Old 11-17-2014, 08:06 PM   #7884
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Drives: Limited Red 6MT BRZ
Thanked 1,167 Times in 644 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Full throttle Electric Supercharger Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO5005 View Post
So, I showed my car at the 86 Bash yesterday and it got some attention(which is nice because my car is all go, no show), I saw a lot of perplexed faces, but I did get a few that knew what it was and were really excited to see it. I went to your site and tried to get a FAQ but there wasn't one under the tab at the time. Do you have a secret one started @fenton (or anyone else) that you might want to send my way? Or should I start digging and compiling my own? I know the answers to most of the questions however every once in a while I get one that stumps me. My ESC really makes my car different from the ones in the area, which pretty cool since there are ALOT of 86s here.

That's cool I called regional Vice President of the western United States, and @DAEMANO is my secretary.

In all seriousness. Usually if you post here or msg one of us we can usually respond with an answer quickly.

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Sojhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sojhinn For This Useful Post:
bfrank1972 (11-18-2014), DAEMANO (11-17-2014), GTO5005 (11-17-2014), sato (11-17-2014)
Old 11-17-2014, 08:54 PM   #7885
fenton

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,614 Times in 726 Posts
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quote:

Your install looks super clean GTO! Think you could take some more high quality pics and send it my way.
fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fenton For This Useful Post:
FingR-S (11-17-2014)
Old 11-17-2014, 10:10 PM   #7886
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

I know this post is going to be off topic, but frankly I appreciate the people in this thread and their feedback.

Im thinking about replacing the speakers in my BRZ, I have a nexus 7 install with a headunit behind the nexus 7. Im not looking to spend very much but generally speaking I was thinking about replacing the stock amp, and using once of the cheap alpine in line amps so that I could power the door speakers, and replacing the dash speakers.

Problem is Im not sure what to go with... any suggestions? Ive searched the audio threads and there is very little consistency.

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Old 11-17-2014, 10:30 PM   #7887
FingR-S
I got sucked into boost..

Drives: Whiteout FR-S & Supercharged BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Thats a nice install! I was kinda chicken to run the wires from the battery to the controller down lower by the engine, but I think its pretty far enough away to not cause any issues. I may have to try that!
I ended up wrapping the vacuum hose (controller to turbo) with black duct tape so it doesn't put too much pressure on the tube and impeding any vacuum.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:36 PM   #7888
GTO5005

Drives: White Scion FR-S
Sure thing @fenton. Once again if anyone has or knows of an FAQ sheet somewhere in this 7800 post thread it would be much appreciated . Half the battle is remembering the questions.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:48 PM   #7889
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
Sure thing @fenton. Once again if anyone has or knows of an FAQ sheet somewhere in this 7800 post thread it would be much appreciated . Half the battle is remembering the questions.
Im curious if the line is long enough for the newer kits. I barely had enough length to run the line along the edge of the car. But I agree with everyone else. Following the dump pack wires looks amazing. Your picture makes your car look like a toy.

Installed Mods:
Old 11-17-2014, 10:54 PM   #7890
FingR-S
I got sucked into boost..

Drives: Whiteout FR-S & Supercharged BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
My Review of The Phantom Supercharger - so far

Just a few more thoughts...
I've had this for about three weeks going on one month and I thoroughly enjoy driving this car even more now - even when not engaged in boost!

I feel like this set up really does open up the intake and throttle response. I know there was mention of why, but I'm just giving a "man on the street" impression of this set up. I assume the OFT tune helps too. I went from the Stg 1 2.0 to the ESC for that matter.

As the batteries broke in, my voltage went up, and I felt the increase in performance. I love the fact that I do not have to engage ESC at all to benefit from this set up. I suppose that even with around 5psi running WOT for extended periods of time would cause this engine to run a little hotter? - thoughts?
In any case, its nice to know that the ESC is not running at lesser throttle when not really needed.
Anyone spun in the rain with this yet? I almost did in 5th gear with lots of water on the freeway.. I was conscientious enough to leave traction control on that day! Worn tires.
So all in all, I couldn't be happier with this ESC/OFT Tune for my needs which may include some track time, but mostly back roads and commuting.
I mentioned before that I felt that this did not take away anything magical about the original dynamics of this car and I can stand by that with even more certainty now.
....also taking in to consideration that this weights hardly anything compared to a SC kit or a full turbo setup.
Perhaps the track my reveal some other limitations, but for now this is how I feel about it.
I'll be ready to slap another turbo on there next week!
The Following User Says Thank You to FingR-S For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (11-18-2014)
Old 11-17-2014, 11:58 PM   #7891
jwvand02

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojhinn View Post
I know this post is going to be off topic, but frankly I appreciate the people in this thread and their feedback.

Im thinking about replacing the speakers in my BRZ, I have a nexus 7 install with a headunit behind the nexus 7. Im not looking to spend very much but generally speaking I was thinking about replacing the stock amp, and using once of the cheap alpine in line amps so that I could power the door speakers, and replacing the dash speakers.

Problem is Im not sure what to go with... any suggestions? Ive searched the audio threads and there is very little consistency.
The reality is, (as with all things audio) you really just have to audition stuff to see what you like. Otherwise, all you can really do is see what the hive mind tends to like, and hope your tastes are more or less the norm.

FWIW, HAT seems to be one the best values in speakers right now. I've also heard a lot about JBL MS-62s as well. I went with a three-way actively crossed front stage with drivers I individually chose, because I'm.... like that.
jwvand02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jwvand02 For This Useful Post:
Sojhinn (11-18-2014)
Old 11-18-2014, 12:02 AM   #7892
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwvand02 View Post
The reality is, (as with all things audio) you really just have to audition stuff to see what you like. Otherwise, all you can really do is see what the hive mind tends to like, and hope your tastes are more or less the norm.

FWIW, HAT seems to be one the best values in speakers right now. I've also heard a lot about JBL MS-62s as well. I went with a three-way actively crossed front stage with drivers I individually chose, because I'm.... like that.

Did you keep the dash wired to the head unit or did you run a separate amp?

Installed Mods:
Old 11-18-2014, 12:17 AM   #7893
jwvand02

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojhinn View Post
Did you keep the dash wired to the head unit or did you run a separate amp?
So this is where it gets silly - I have a 5 channel amp for the door speakers, tweeters and sub. However, the 3 inch drivers in the dash can only stand up to about 30w, so they're running directly off of the processor's (JBL MS-8) internal amp.

Most two way component systems of any merit will need more power than you're getting from the headunit, and will want a full range signal to a pre-packaged crossover. Using one of the in-line amps placed right behind the headunit might be an option, depending on space.

However, might I suggest an alternative: make use of the existing wiring into the factory amp to get an easy speaker-level input to an amp in the trunk, use the output wiring going to the front door speakers to connect your crossovers, then all you have to do is get wires from inside your door up to the tweeters in your dash.

One better would be to use RCAs back to the trunk instead of the speaker level inputs. Running them really isn't that hard.

The amp uses a generic old Toyota radio harness that you can get from Metra for a clean reversible install, and the pinout is posted around here somewhere.
jwvand02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jwvand02 For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (11-18-2014), Sojhinn (11-18-2014)
Old 11-18-2014, 11:40 AM   #7894
robwbright

Drives: '13 BRZ Limited WRB Phantom ESC 1.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in NJ View Post
I've had no trouble starting my car in the last few weeks where morning temps are in the upper 20's and lower 30's. And my batteries are over a year old now.

Suggestions, turn off accessories prior to shutting down the car. You'd be surprised how much current the HVAC blower and amps draw. Also, if you have automatic headlights, make sure they don't come on before starting the engine. Make sure that the ESC is not armed prior to start. These small steps could be the difference between starting and not.

I haven't needed to do any of the above and I get good starts. This makes me think that you might have some type of parasitic loss.
Terminals are tight, everything is off inside the car. 15 degrees F last night, about 20 degrees F today.

All I got was "click, click" from the starter.

Are these batteries fine to charge/jump just like an OEM battery?

I do have a 300 watt powered sub in the trunk. (Edit) I have checked it and changed the setting to ensure that it does not come on until it receives a signal from the stereo.
1997 Honda Accord Coupe
1995 Honda Prelude VTEC

Last edited by robwbright; 11-18-2014 at 11:57 AM.
robwbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 01:27 PM   #7895
TM

Drives: DGM BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robftss View Post
Attachment 95796

Hey guys, I have heard some of the positive posts are working loose. TM this may or may not be the case with you. The last set of kits had these extra washers.... 3/8 flat and a 3/8 lock... torque down till lock is collapsed.
I just checked with Bu-Tang for 'starting' update, all seems well in our balmy -15C
My car didn't start up again this morning. Cranked about 5 times and then died. 2 times afterwards, and then it gave up during all subsequent attempts. Glad my apartment complex maintenance provides free 24/7 jump-start service. It was 18-20 F when I tried to start it this morning, but was probably much colder during the night.

I checked the terminal several days ago and do not see the two extra washers:

I'll check for loose connections again. What else should I do next? Should I get a free battery test from Pep boys? Do those provide any valuable information?
Old 11-18-2014, 02:15 PM   #7896
fenton

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,614 Times in 726 Posts
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TM View Post
My car didn't start up again this morning. Cranked about 5 times and then died. 2 times afterwards, and then it gave up during all subsequent attempts. Glad my apartment complex maintenance provides free 24/7 jump-start service. It was 18-20 F when I tried to start it this morning, but was probably much colder during the night.

I checked the terminal several days ago and do not see the two extra washers:

I'll check for loose connections again. What else should I do next? Should I get a free battery test from Pep boys? Do those provide any valuable information?
Are you guys still using e85?
fenton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
26$ / wtq, affordable boost, better than turbo, brz electric supercharger, do want, dumbass freddy, electric shrimpage, electric supercharger, electronic supercharger, epic thread tag, fanboy circle jerk!, freddy keyboardwarrior, frs electric supercharger, get a real blower, haters gonna hate, hows the battery life?, lol, moar powa, nos with battery, one gear race champion, only pulls hard once, phantom charge, pm-robftss to order!, release date=not yet, release it already!, released!, rice, shut up and take our $$$, snake oil claims, street only, super pursuit mode, the price isn't known yet, tq300 plzkkthxbai, wooshy noise, yes turbo is better, yes turbo is expensive