follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List
EAGLE5, finch1750, go_a_way1, iManage, KR-S, MisterSheep, Tcoat, Ultramaroon

Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2021, 11:10 PM   #76301
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,675 Times in 6,782 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike021 View Post
The move has gone fairly swimmingly so far. But I have a ways to go.

Definitely feeling the single-ness, since there are some areas I could really use a female's opinion on (I'm asking my parents and they've been helpful, but still).

Basically the closet that I think at one time was the linen closet is now the washer/dryer closet. I also have a coat closet in the entrance hallway, which is fairly spacious, and a large double-closet in the bedroom.
just because that's what it might have been doesn't mean that's what it needs to be!

let things happen. i did the same thing. it took a good 3 years for me to really figure out some of the decorating stuff that reflects what i like, and a lot of what i ended up with had to do with going to events/places, and making a point to look for stuff with a set idea of what i'm willing to spend on it.

my sister majored in art, and loves decorating/color coordinating--she's works at a home interior store, so she's all but an official title away from being an interior decorator. i told her when i bought the place that i obviously needed help decorating and hanging pictures. she's been by, but has all but ignored my cries for help with decorating. i might have encouraged her to get some of her single friends to come by as well, but she must not have heard me.

it took about a year before i found some pictures i liked, ended up finding a bunch of canvas print pictures for less than $10/each at a home improvement store(s) while they were on a clearance sale--they'd been selling these prints for $30-40 for months leading up to this, and just wanted to clear out their inventory. i ended up spending most of a saturday hitting every single of their locations within about 1.5 hours of me to find all the one's i wanted--it was a fun scavenger hunt for cheap pictures, which if you ever look at art, it usually starts at $50-100 for small things, and goes up dramatically from there...

all those sat in the spare bedroom for another year while i continued to nag my sister to do something with them. she ignored me.

so about a year after that i finally gave up and took a day to figure it out. my mom was in disbelief that i managed, which i'm not sure if i'm supposed to be offended or complemented.

this is what i came up with.

all of that, i set up using a roll of painters tape, a laser line, tape measure, and math(bleh).

it's really not as hard as all the womenz make it out to be.

Quote:
And then besides that, I don't have a dining table set or TV stand/media console, so looking for those as well. But there's so many styles and stuff, makes it difficult to decide on something simple that doesn't break the bank.
go to local thrift stores, goodwill, and check facebook marketplace. they've all got spectacular deals.

my tv stand was $30 on facebook marketplace (most new tv stands start at $150), and i've never paid more than $75 for a kitchen table and chair set.

even if it's temporary till you find something that's more your style, it's all cheap enough and solid enough to work until you find your footing. it's a whole lot easier to pick stuff out when the deciding factor is "does it work, and can i fit it in my vehicle?"
humfrz (03-20-2021)
Old 03-19-2021, 11:25 PM   #76302
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: GR Corolla
Thanked 3,024 Times in 1,864 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I think you might like a kotatsu
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kaotic Lazagna For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (03-19-2021), spike021 (03-20-2021)
Old 03-19-2021, 11:58 PM   #76303
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,619 Times in 18,982 Posts
Mentioned: 1109 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
I think you might like a kotatsu
Mmmmm!

Old 03-20-2021, 12:13 AM   #76304
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 4,000 Times in 2,156 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Tax season? All we own, we owe.

The Following User Says Thank You to EAGLE5 For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (03-20-2021)
Old 03-20-2021, 03:25 AM   #76305
spike021

Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Thanked 6,481 Times in 3,211 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
By no means a female opinion (you already knew that ), but at one point, I built a freestanding closet that I got from Ikea. You can probably find a smaller one suitable for linens. The one I got was huge, bigger than some apartment closets.

You can also check out Wayfair for a variety of dining tables and/or media stands. You can filter by design type/genre too depending on the theme you want for your bachelor pad. lol
Yeah, been checking Wayfair. I had a shitty experience with a desk I bought at Overstock last year so I'm kinda hesitant to go with furniture from these furniture "marketplace" type places. But Wayfair does have some interesting items that could work with the style I'm considering (which according to the Internetz is maybe "mid-century"? i dunno).

Quote:
Oh, and since you're somewhat near Living Spaces, do not trust their mattresses. I bought my bed and mattress there based on how the display model felt. What I received was no where near it.
I got my love seat sofa from Living Spaces and it's been totally fine the past two years. I did go a couple times recently to check out their mattresses but wasn't really sure. I pulled the trigger on a different one of those modern, ships to you types. They have a 100 day try it warranty and supposedly make it easy to do a return or whatever so I'll give it a shot.

Honestly I think mattress shopping is a total crapshoot. I went to multiple stores (Mattress firm, Living Spaces, Macys, etc.) and tried mattresses. They were all varying amounts of comfortable and then the reviews are all over the place because mattresses are so subjective.

Honestly practically any bed I get will be a substantial improvement. The bed I've been sleeping on I've had 9 years, and prior to that a parents friend had it from when their daughter was in high school.. so it's probably like 15 or so years old... yeeeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
just because that's what it might have been doesn't mean that's what it needs to be!

let things happen. i did the same thing. it took a good 3 years for me to really figure out some of the decorating stuff that reflects what i like, and a lot of what i ended up with had to do with going to events/places, and making a point to look for stuff with a set idea of what i'm willing to spend on it.

[...]
go to local thrift stores, goodwill, and check facebook marketplace. they've all got spectacular deals.

my tv stand was $30 on facebook marketplace (most new tv stands start at $150), and i've never paid more than $75 for a kitchen table and chair set.

even if it's temporary till you find something that's more your style, it's all cheap enough and solid enough to work until you find your footing. it's a whole lot easier to pick stuff out when the deciding factor is "does it work, and can i fit it in my vehicle?"
Yeah, I'm scouring just about everything for ideas and possibilities. Only thing is I'm definitely limited by my BRZ's space :p so if a furniture piece can't fit in there I'd either need to rent a truck or see if maybe someone can help me .

I was actually checking Etsy last night and there are more options there too, and some aren't too badly priced.

Trying not to rush it but it's tricky because I don't want to keep everything in boxes forever, and my tv wall is already crowded as it is with everything on the floor lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Mmmmm!

Mmmmm funnily enough had katsu curry for dinner tonight.
It sounds to me like the delicate, metallic sounds of piston skirts slapping against the cylinder walls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Now, if it was three feet long and you were using all that leverage
The Following User Says Thank You to spike021 For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (03-20-2021)
Old 03-20-2021, 05:49 AM   #76306
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,383 Times in 4,137 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
this is what i came up with.
There seems to be a tree theme going on but I can't see any trees in the indicated pic.

Name:  Cx3Fpmq.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  86.6 KB

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Captain Snooze For This Useful Post:
JD001 (03-20-2021), NoHaveMSG (03-20-2021), Ultramaroon (03-20-2021)
Old 03-20-2021, 09:32 AM   #76307
soundman98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
There seems to be a tree theme going on but I can't see any trees in the indicated pic.

Attachment 198443
amazon, SMH. it's a breeze stimulator, but they don't offer it in an attractive finish.
Captain Snooze (03-20-2021), Ultramaroon (03-20-2021)
Old 03-20-2021, 09:38 AM   #76308
soundman98

Quote:
Yeah, I'm scouring just about everything for ideas and possibilities. Only thing is I'm definitely limited by my BRZ's space :p so if a furniture piece can't fit in there I'd either need to rent a truck or see if maybe someone can help me .

I was actually checking Etsy last night and there are more options there too, and some aren't too badly priced.

Trying not to rush it but it's tricky because I don't want to keep everything in boxes forever, and my tv wall is already crowded as it is with everything on the floor lol.
well, you are in san jose. the way i understand it, just about every home depot in the area has a dozen illegals looking for any paying work, some with trucks. at least that's what the news says.

that was actually the first 'house mod' i had to get, was a pickup truck. ford rangers are usually in the $1-5k range, and work as a great backup vehicle. as long as the fluids are topped up, and the batteries in good condition, they always start, and require little maintenance. at least until the rust rots them out.

if you've got a pry bar, drill, some 2" screws, and a saw, pallet wood stuff is in fashion right now, and super easy to build in any form you need.. pallets don't fit directly in the car, but the individual pieces will! many places leave them out for scrap...
spike021 (03-20-2021)
Old 03-20-2021, 02:31 PM   #76309
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,619 Times in 18,982 Posts
Mentioned: 1109 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Old 03-20-2021, 03:18 PM   #76310
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,380 Times in 7,413 Posts
Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Garage
Random Thoughts - Part Deux [NO POLITICS]

Kitchen before/after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bcj (03-20-2021), Captain Snooze (03-20-2021), humfrz (03-20-2021), JD001 (03-20-2021), ScoobsMcGee (03-20-2021), soundman98 (03-20-2021), spike021 (03-20-2021), Ultramaroon (03-20-2021)
Old 03-20-2021, 03:52 PM   #76311
Kiske

Drives: RX-7 / BRZ
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,081 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
KBB instant cash offer for the 13 wasn't so bad ($13,244)... the flood of sales calls from dealers is horrible though. About a $1300 difference from a private sale value... without having to deal with people and test drives.

Quote:
amazon, SMH. it's a breeze stimulator, but they don't offer it in an attractive finish.

Missing something...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kiske For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (03-20-2021), Ultramaroon (03-20-2021)
Old 03-20-2021, 04:38 PM   #76312
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,979 Times in 16,481 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
Kitchen before/after.

Great job ...... looks good!

The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (03-20-2021)
Old 03-20-2021, 04:57 PM   #76313
Sapphireho
helmholtz resonator

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,363 Times in 8,670 Posts
Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
Kitchen before/after.

What is on the middle of the floor?

Looks much better.
Old 03-20-2021, 05:03 PM   #76314
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,380 Times in 7,413 Posts
Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post
What is on the middle of the floor?

Looks much better.

Tape. Hasn’t been cleaned yet.

Tags
aching balls, ass or gtfo, germanystrikesback, guff approved, human resources, i don't wanna go to prom, i lurk, i participated, i read this thread, i'm so gay, ichi has crabs, ichi is in denial, imanage can't manage, in god we thrust, me worry?, member berries, never forget, no politics, nothing for you!!!, nsfp, omg i can't catch up! :(, poo on my chest, post #696 review on ichi, sapphireho sucks!, specialk watches you post, special_k is a lurker, tcoat is as tcoat does, tcoat is dead, tcoat is jesus, tcoat is risen, tcoat returns, tcoat rules, tig ol bitties, tits or gtfo, trackmyfarts, tylerlieberman is a cuck, wubba lubba dub dubs!!!, y u do dis