follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 06-02-2016, 02:20 PM   #729
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bem75 View Post
Any new brilliant ideas in the last 6 months? We've been battling heat issues on a JRSC powered race car. Rules prohibit us from running hood vents, fender vents, or making any holes in the body work. I'm curious if anyone has come up with something new.
What have you done so far?

massive oil cooler
fan on the oil cooler
upgraded radiator
water + water wetter
electric water pump
shrouding for radiators
outward facing fans to vent the engine bay
wrapped header if you're not running stock
vented undertray
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 02:25 PM   #730
Gutterboy

Drives: 2013 frs; 1988 porsche 944s - > 948
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Gauges

I usually do a 1 minute roll up idle wait before shutting the car off but oil temp it about 225f to 230f. I haven't checked actual coolant temp on oft or even know if it's on there to watch but my needle shows the same 1/3 needle as always.

When I am waiting for the car to cool the fan is still doing its on for like ten to 15 seconds then off for a bit like. A minute then kicks back on again repeat.
Gutterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:38 PM   #731
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,181 Times in 6,837 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJPG View Post
Generalizations more often than not are wrong... Assuming the car have turbo and was use hard the last couple of minutes the heat of the turbo would need a couple of fan cycles before returning to normal operating temperatures.

If you want to turn off the car with peace of mind use a gauge to read coolant and oil temperature.
You do realize, the fans are coolant temp driven, which is what you just said to watch...

Modern turbos are typically both water and oil cooled. If the turbo is hot, the coolant will stay hot.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
cdrazic93 (06-02-2016)
Old 06-02-2016, 03:48 PM   #732
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
You do realize, the fans are coolant temp driven, which is what you just said to watch...

Modern turbos are typically both water and oil cooled. If the turbo is hot, the coolant will stay hot.
I was about to say, didnt he basically describe a turbo timer for the fans.......?
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
cdrazic93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 04:07 PM   #733
AJPG

Drives: 22RE, FA20, 4G63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

Yesssss... I do.
Also I like to play with my car.

If you push the car really hard it will get hot; do you agree?
As the car have fans for the coolant but for the oil (if the particular car have oilcooler) you should note how the coolant get cool faster than the oil and fans will shutdown way before oil get on operating temperatures... I do suggest to look coolant temp only to validate my point.

BTW
If you drive like a "normal" persons around (people at the freeway) you should note that adding a oilcooler is a overkill... For that matter adding power is not necessary.
AJPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 04:08 PM   #734
AJPG

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrazic93 View Post
I was about to say, didnt he basically describe a turbo timer for the fans.......?
Yes he do, is a fan timer

Last edited by AJPG; 06-09-2016 at 06:26 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to AJPG For This Useful Post:
Jetscape (06-12-2016)
Old 06-02-2016, 04:20 PM   #735
CSG Mike

Quote:
Yesssss... I do.
Also I like to play with my car.

If you push the car really hard it will get hot; do you agree?
As the car have fans for the coolant but for the oil (if the particular car have oilcooler) you should note how the coolant get cool faster than the oil and fans will shutdown way before oil get on operating temperatures... I do suggest to look coolant temp only to validate my point.

BTW
If you drive like a "normal" persons around (people at the freeway) you should note that adding a oilcooler is a overkill... For that matter adding power is not necessary.
Again, if you have a water/oil cooled turbo, if your coolant temp is already low enough that the fans are turned off, your turbo is cool enough. Unless your oil temp is 240+, you're fine. If your turbo is so hot that it's unsafe to turn the car off, the coolant will be pulling enough heat that it'll be hot enough that the fans wont turn off.

I daily drive a turbo car of similar configuration, and have both coolant and oil temp sensors.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:21 PM   #736
AJPG

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutterboy View Post
I usually do a 1 minute roll up idle wait before shutting the car off but oil temp it about 225f to 230f. I haven't checked actual coolant temp on oft or even know if it's on there to watch but my needle shows the same 1/3 needle as always.

When I am waiting for the car to cool the fan is still doing its on for like ten to 15 seconds then off for a bit like. A minute then kicks back on again repeat.
Good oil will work fine with temp 225-230f, and if you arrive at you destination at that temp you could shutdown the engine at arrival. If you see the needle move you are likely in trouble. The gauge "digital" will show the thermostat working as well as the fans, highways dynamics with temps and a couple of things more.

Last edited by AJPG; 06-03-2016 at 12:40 AM.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:54 PM   #737
AJPG

Garage
Quote:
Again, if you have a water/oil cooled turbo, if your coolant temp is already low enough that the fans are turned off, your turbo is cool enough. Unless your oil temp is 240+, you're fine. If your turbo is so hot that it's unsafe to turn the car off, the coolant will be pulling enough heat that it'll be hot enough that the fans wont turn off.

I daily drive a turbo car of similar configuration, and have both coolant and oil temp sensors.
And I almost completely agree.

But what about track use?
I could tell that uphill 2 and 3er gear mid to high rpms are the highest temps on my car and are around 212f, (but I have a big oilcooler) and is a long uphill. Right after the uphill ends temp drops in seconds maybe a minute, to 200f

The couple of times that take the car to the track it get hotter but 225f

Note: those temps are peaks at the digital gauge.

Some times early to work oil only gets to 190f
Old 06-02-2016, 05:09 PM   #738
CSG Mike

Quote:
And I almost completely agree.

But what about track use?
I could tell that uphill 2 and 3er gear mid to high rpms are the highest temps on my car and are around 212f, (but I have a big oilcooler) and is a long uphill. Right after the uphill ends temp drops in seconds maybe a minute, to 200f

The couple of times that take the car to the track it get hotter but 225f

Note: those temps are peaks at the digital gauge.

Some times early to work oil only gets to 190f
If you're using the stock temp readouts, they are post-cooler temperatures; even with hard track use, if your fans are off, you're good to turn off.

When you pull off track and the airflow stops, you'll notice that often, the temps actually start climbing (from the lack of airflow) before they start to drop back down.
Old 06-02-2016, 05:44 PM   #739
Gutterboy

Drives: 2013 frs; 1988 porsche 944s - > 948
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
clarifications

i'm running the SBD turbo which is oil cooled only and am running amsoil 5w30 full synthetic.

my oil temps even when pushing boost a bit around the city get as high as 230F

i don't have an oil cooler and yes i understand a turbo timer, but i mainly just wanted the fans which happen to be right in front of where my turbo is mounted to stay on for 60 seconds to keep blowing air after oil is not being cycled and i walk away from the car.

and i was wrong my coolant temp gauge isn't showing the first tick mark it's on the second tick mark.
Gutterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:22 PM   #740
AJPG

Garage
Quote:
If you're using the stock temp readouts, they are post-cooler temperatures; even with hard track use, if your fans are off, you're good to turn off.

When you pull off track and the airflow stops, you'll notice that often, the temps actually start climbing (from the lack of airflow) before they start to drop back down.
Yes all the oem readouts and 4 added and yes the temp are post cooler. To be honest I only like my car temps with the ac on (due to almost constant air flow) water temp no matter how I use the car 194-199f and oil 185-212f. That was with ecutek, currently with standalone and could turn on the fans as desire.

But that's my car with a lot of coolers and is sc (even worse centrifugal), the guy with the turbo only oil cooled and no oilcooler... Mmmmmmm he should be ok with 230f but if he gets inspired and start burning gas fast it will get hot, dangerous hot.
Old 06-02-2016, 11:40 PM   #741
CSG Mike

Quote:
Yes all the oem readouts and 4 added and yes the temp are post cooler. To be honest I only like my car temps with the ac on (due to almost constant air flow) water temp no matter how I use the car 194-199f and oil 185-212f. That was with ecutek, currently with standalone and could turn on the fans as desire.

But that's my car with a lot of coolers and is sc (even worse centrifugal), the guy with the turbo only oil cooled and no oilcooler... Mmmmmmm he should be ok with 230f but if he gets inspired and start burning gas fast it will get hot, dangerous hot.
Have you ever considered running a lower temp thermostat and lowering your fan activation temperature in EcuTek?
Old 06-03-2016, 12:39 AM   #742
AJPG

Garage
Quote:
Have you ever considered running a lower temp thermostat and lowering your fan activation temperature in EcuTek?
Yes
Ecutek, OFT, ecutek then hydra. Try with 3 different tuners all excellent but feel the need to try myself... So far so good, really enjoying making little change here and there. Etunes are way easier or pay to a local tuner, but local here is far and I really don't like to leave the car.