follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 06-10-2012, 08:25 PM   #57
ScottyP3821

Drives: 2008 Ranger 4cyl 5speed 2/3drop Blk
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayforaddison View Post
I only have about 170ish miles on my FRS, but lately, at a few lights or under deceleration while clutch is pushed all the way to the floor, the RPMs have dropped below 500 (maybe even 400), and the car shakes for a second or two as if it wants to stall, then bounces back up to about 900-1000 RPMs before going back to the normal 700ish. Could this be part of the break-in period? Computer still learning? Normal for boxer engines?

I wasn't worried about it the first time or two, but it happened again today on my way to a car meet. Today was roughly the 5th or 6th time.

I am a bit stumped
Almost every manual I have owned does this. I bought my current car new and its has done this from the beginning. It is normal. The best way to go around this is to learn to or start double clutch downshifting to help you slow down.Alternatively, if you are coming up to a light put it in neutral let the clutch out and ease on the breaks, I bet it wont happen, because at that point the engine is free with absolutely no resistance at all. Given in theory when you have the clutched pushed in it should be disengage, however you would be surprised that when it happens you might not be pushing it in all the way. Lastly, the only other thing I think it could be is a bad IAC valve. If it is I would take it to the dealership and it should be covered under warranty but usually if it the idle air control valve it will rev up to 2 k when you clutch in.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:54 PM   #58
yayforaddison

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyP3821 View Post
Almost every manual I have owned does this. I bought my current car new and its has done this from the beginning. It is normal. The best way to go around this is to learn to or start double clutch downshifting to help you slow down.Alternatively, if you are coming up to a light put it in neutral let the clutch out and ease on the breaks, I bet it wont happen, because at that point the engine is free with absolutely no resistance at all. Given in theory when you have the clutched pushed in it should be disengage, however you would be surprised that when it happens you might not be pushing it in all the way. Lastly, the only other thing I think it could be is a bad IAC valve. If it is I would take it to the dealership and it should be covered under warranty but usually if it the idle air control valve it will rev up to 2 k when you clutch in.
Oh trust me, it's done it in natural quite the mejoraty of the time. I've owned 12 manual transmission cars and have yet to see them do it like this. I think what your talking about is that slight drop in RPM when the clutch is in (maybe 100RPM at most), and it's way more extreme then that. It shouldn't be dropping from 750 to 400 and shake for a split second like it wants to stall.

I'm going with the gas theory, as most of us haven't even seen a tank of gas other then from the dealer. I'm at least keeping my fingers crossed.
yayforaddison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:01 PM   #59
ahausheer
Re-member

Drives: Toyota camry
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
If there are data loggers in the ECU it would be better if you took it in now. Otherwise the data that potentially shows a fault might get overwritten with new data. There is no way bad fuel is causing all of the symptoms. If it was bad fuel the symptoms should be more constant. Also I believe these cars are filled with 93 octane in Japan so even if 87 was put in in America it should still be a bit higher than 87 in the tank. Interesting to follow this, keep the community updated.
Marrk (06-24-2012)
Old 06-10-2012, 10:01 PM   #60
Indestruct

Drives: 2013 SWP Limited BRZ, MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
This happens to me all the time on my mt brz. Not even at speed. i was just sitting at the light and the rpm's chugged down when I was not in gear. I'm not really worried, if I stall then i'd be worried
Indestruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:06 PM   #61
yayforaddison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indestruct View Post
This happens to me all the time on my mt brz. Not even at speed. i was just sitting at the light and the rpm's chugged down when I was not in gear. I'm not really worried, if I stall then i'd be worried
Yeah, Its happened to me at a light once as well, and once in my driveway. The rest was slowing down in natural, or clutch in. I wasn't worried either until it happened for the 6th time and I thought it was going to stall, and now I'm just super confused. I still want to wait for my new tank of gas tho. There is a good chance the gas from before the dealer fill up, is very old. These cars didn't get shipped for a while and had gas sitting in them for months. Just a thought tho, and I'd like to give it a shot.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:30 AM   #62
yayforaddison

Hey Mods, do you mind changing the title to something more on the lines of Idle issue? I think it may help others with this problem to find a place to talk and read about it.

When I made this new topic, I wasn't expecting many others to have the same issue as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to yayforaddison For This Useful Post:
TPO (06-11-2012)
Old 06-11-2012, 01:25 AM   #63
KAB-FRS

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS/whiteout,MT
Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmtsx View Post
I have noticed this on my mine as well. It's only done it a few times.

I'm having an issue with coasting in neutral though. I was going down a hill the other day in neutral and the stick shift started to vibrate(badly)--the engine also made a noise sort of like a lawn mower sound. It immediately stopped when i pushed the clutch in. I haven't had the stick vibrate again but I have heard the "lawn mower" noise a few more times while coasting in neutral. My car has about 300 miles on it.

I have exactly the same noise when I take it out of gear and comming to a stop, not all the time but i hear it.
KAB-FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:57 AM   #64
wallace03

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
sounds like my car when one of the spark plugs went out.
wallace03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:51 AM   #65
TPO

Drives: Scion fr-s,Lexus is250,4-runner
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithNolock View Post
I have had this happen as well. It was on the first tank of gas from the dealer. I'll keep my eye on it since I've now filled up with premium.
Same here, just filled up my second tank.
TPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:29 AM   #66
phm14
Loves the Smell of Track

Drives: '13 86
Garage
My 6mt was delivered w a full tank of 87 and 290 miles on the clock. I added some Lucas fuel Rx, and have not noticed this issue. At first these descriptions sounded like what can happen when the car is slowed below idle rpm with the clutch not fully disengaged, but if this issue has been replicated by the dealer maybe there is an issue. I've been driving Yotas for over 30 years, and own 3 now. I have had a head gasket and broken ring gear under warranty in 2 different trucks, and Toyota has handled both perfectly. They have a proven record of standing behind their product and taking care of their customers, that's one reason a went with the Scion. Not knocking Subie, just been very happy w Toyota. Issues can happen in any product or service business, it's how they're handled that makes the difference. I knew going in that 1st production bugs were a possibility, and that if so, Toyota would handle it properly. In the past, I beleive they paid for a rental in the case of the head gasket recall. I would certainly push for that if they needed to keep my new car for repair. The warranty paperwork will have a clause regarding when/if Toyota will cover a rental.
phm14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:35 AM   #67
phm14
Loves the Smell of Track

Drives: '13 86
Garage
"Transportation Assistance" is covered on page 6 of the Scion warranty booklet. Basically, it says if they need the car for more than a day, you get a rental. Sounds fair to me. Most dealers also run shuttles within a distance limit.
phm14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:07 PM   #68
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,096 Times in 8,333 Posts
Mentioned: 678 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayforaddison View Post
When I made this new topic, I wasn't expecting many others to have the same issue as well.
K, here's an update from my side. I've email higher up SCION rep & see if they've heard this concern/problem (along w squeak noise from the engine).

He told me, he haven't heard about this, so he'll let the right technicians and product quality teams aware of this situation.

He'll stay in touch with me, so hopefully later on he can answer more detail info.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:16 PM   #69
yayforaddison

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
K, here's an update from my side. I've email higher up SCION rep & see if they've heard this concern/problem (along w squeak noise from the engine).

He told me, he haven't heard about this, so he'll let the right technicians and product quality teams aware of this situation.

He'll stay in touch with me, so hopefully later on he can answer more detail info.
Thank you. Try and keep me posted. If I am still having this issue later this week after my second tank of gas, I plan on taking it in. I drove for about 20-30 miles today, and it actually did it twice

I really wasn't hoping to be one of the first to bring it in, and have them toy around, or even driving it to figure out this problem.

Keeping my fingers crossed tho!
Old 06-12-2012, 12:57 AM   #70
Rob_g

Drives: 2010 4Runner Trail
I really noticed the rpm dip on my AT as well. I don't think it should be normal because it feels like the engine is struggling below 500rpm and is going to stall. It happens even with A/C off so take that out of the equation.

Rob
Rob_g is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rob_g For This Useful Post:
yayforaddison (06-12-2012)