follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 08-08-2018, 10:27 PM   #57
Juzzotec

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBezugs View Post
Good news! The harness arrived from AHH which converts the backup camera 5 pin plug they provide and e brake signal to the 16 pin connector that is from the FujitsuTen unit, so I now have a backup camera!

Still trying to get steering wheel controls to work, but I think I’m going to ditch the Axxess box and attempt to wire up the SWC with the provided pioneer connector as it looks like you can do it through the headunit natively.
Hi JBezugs, can you upload a picture as a background on your unit and check if your having the same issue as me? Please post a photo if you can.
Juzzotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 01:05 PM   #58
JBezugs
Good Job Subaru!

Drives: '17 BRZ, '24 CX-50
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juzzotec View Post
Hi JBezugs, can you upload a picture as a background on your unit and check if your having the same issue as me? Please post a photo if you can.

I’ll do this ASAP and let you know.

Also, I got my SWC working! Turns out you do not need an Axxess ASWC1 at all to get it working, the head unit has native controls built in and the wiring comes with the head unit to facilitate it.

All the buttons are user programmable on the head unit easily. I’ll update the original post shortly.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:55 PM   #59
Juzzotec

Quote:

Also, I got my SWC working! Turns out you do not need an Axxess ASWC1 at all to get it working, the head unit has native controls built in and the wiring comes with the head unit to facilitate it.

All the buttons are user programmable on the head unit easily. I’ll update the original post shortly.
Thanks

Great to hear you got the steering controls working too.
Old 08-17-2018, 11:08 AM   #60
LimitedSlip
Senior Citizen Member

Drives: Then-1977 Celica GT Now-2017 860SE
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
For the physical install the new HU will just bolt into the factory brackets, nothing additional to purchase other than the correct adapter cable?
LimitedSlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 06:10 AM   #61
Juzzotec

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimitedSlip View Post
For the physical install the new HU will just bolt into the factory brackets, nothing additional to purchase other than the correct adapter cable?
Correct
Old 08-27-2018, 03:11 PM   #62
Meathead

Drives: 2017 DGM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
First off, thank you for the writeup. I'm glad to finally have a reliable headunit in the BRZ now. I was wondering if you knew which wires go to which for the SWC. I have a '17 BRZ, and have installed this HU with the harness from AHH. Everything was plug and play except the SWC. I asked AHH where they are supposed to tap into, and they said just tap them with the Pioneer harness. Sounds easy enough, but the SWC harness came attached to a harness for some model Toyota and was not labeled. I have attached them, and now only the outer controls work (call, hang up, source), and NOT the circle controls (volume, next, previous, play/pause). I was curious if you had a picture of what wires went where. Not trying to hijack the thread, just know you had issues in this area too. Thank you in advance!
Meathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 03:22 PM   #63
JBezugs
Good Job Subaru!

Pioneer AVH-ZL5150 - New LHD 200mm Head Unit w/ CarPlay and Android Auto!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
First off, thank you for the writeup. I'm glad to finally have a reliable headunit in the BRZ now. I was wondering if you knew which wires go to which for the SWC. I have a '17 BRZ, and have installed this HU with the harness from AHH. Everything was plug and play except the SWC. I asked AHH where they are supposed to tap into, and they said just tap them with the Pioneer harness. Sounds easy enough, but the SWC harness came attached to a harness for some model Toyota and was not labeled. I have attached them, and now only the outer controls work (call, hang up, source), and NOT the circle controls (volume, next, previous, play/pause). I was curious if you had a picture of what wires went where. Not trying to hijack the thread, just know you had issues in this area too. Thank you in advance!

Does your AHH harness have the steering wheel controls on an 8 pin harness, where only 5 wires are connected?

If so, this is because AHH provides that small 8 pin harness for PNP operation with a Maestro SW (which you won’t need with your pioneer harness).

Wire up your pioneer harness like so, based on that 8 pin harness:
Pin 21 - SW1 on the Pioneer harness
Pin 22 - SW2 on the Pioneer harness
Pin 23 - SW Ground on the Pioneer harness

Refer to my crappy photo for more reference, which you can cross reference against the plug so you can figure out the pinouts:
Old 08-27-2018, 03:38 PM   #64
Meathead

Drives: 2017 DGM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Does your AHH harness have the steering wheel controls on an 8 pin harness, where only 5 wires are connected?

If so, this is because AHH provides that small 8 pin harness for PNP operation with a Maestro SW (which you won’t need with your pioneer harness).

Wire up your pioneer harness like so, based on that 8 pin harness:
Pin 21 - SW1 on the Pioneer harness
Pin 22 - SW2 on the Pioneer harness
Pin 23 - SW Ground on the Pioneer harness

Refer to my crappy photo for more reference, which you can cross reference against the plug so you can figure out the pinouts:
No. My harness came with those three wires attached to the 28 pin plug. They aren't attached to anything on the other end. I've attached the picture. Well, hopefully I did.

EDIT: Photo is too big, and I'm trying to scale it down to attach.
Attached Images

Last edited by Meathead; 08-27-2018 at 03:51 PM.
Meathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 08:14 AM   #65
Juzzotec

Quote:

Have you tried to upload a background image to this unit yet JBezugs?
Old 08-31-2018, 10:09 AM   #66
LimitedSlip
Senior Citizen Member

Two questions:

I believe the 2017 Toyota 86 HU is a Pioneer. As discussed here.

When playing from a USB stick, the factory unit will not advance to the next selection in directory order. Meaning that if you have music sorted into folders on the USB stick by artist and then by album (CDs for the younger folks), the factory unit will not advance to the next song when it reaches the last selection in an album folder. Instead, it just starts over at the first song in the current folder and you are then stuck in a loop. The factory unit will also not allow you to advance folder by folder. Yes, there are work arounds but my question is this:

1. Does the Pioneer AVH-ZL5150 offer proper directory order and folder by folder skipping both forward and back when playing from a USB stick?

AND

2. When all is said and done, was there any loss of factory functionality with the new HU? Backup camera works, console USB works, steering wheel controls, radio receives North American broadcasting, etc?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by LimitedSlip; 08-31-2018 at 11:11 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to LimitedSlip For This Useful Post:
Capt Spaulding (10-26-2018)
Old 08-31-2018, 01:49 PM   #67
JBezugs
Good Job Subaru!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juzzotec View Post
Have you tried to upload a background image to this unit yet JBezugs?

Haven’t tried it as it won’t read the background image I want for some reason. I’ll check this Monday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimitedSlip View Post
Two questions:

I believe the 2017 Toyota 86 HU is a Pioneer. As discussed here.

When playing from a USB stick, the factory unit will not advance to the next selection in directory order. Meaning that if you have music sorted into folders on the USB stick by artist and then by album (CDs for the younger folks), the factory unit will not advance to the next song when it reaches the last selection in an album folder. Instead, it just starts over at the first song in the current folder and you are then stuck in a loop. The factory unit will also not allow you to advance folder by folder. Yes, there are work arounds but my question is this:

1. Does the Pioneer AVH-ZL5150 offer proper directory order and folder by folder skipping both forward and back when playing from a USB stick?

AND

2. When all is said and done, was there any loss of factory functionality with the new HU? Backup camera works, console USB works, steering wheel controls, radio receives North American broadcasting, etc?

Thanks for your help!

1. Yes it does! Tried it out and once a folder is complete it jumps to the next sub folder in alpha order.

2. Everything works. Backup camera, USB and AUX, steering wheel controls, and receives North American channels as well. The steering wheel controls can be programmed for different functions as well which is nice.
Old 09-01-2018, 09:42 PM   #68
Nails

Drives: 2016 FR-S (Halo MT)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
2. Everything works. Backup camera, USB and AUX, steering wheel controls, and receives North American channels as well. The steering wheel controls can be programmed for different functions as well which is nice.
Does it support HD radio or just standard channels? How is the sound quality compared to the old stock unit?
Nails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 12:49 PM   #69
JBezugs
Good Job Subaru!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nails View Post
Does it support HD radio or just standard channels? How is the sound quality compared to the old stock unit?

Standard channels, no HD radio. For me I never listen to radio so nothing lost for me.

Sound quality is leagues ahead of the factory unit. Gets much louder than the factory unit as well. AutoEQ and time alignment works like a charm; I had the microphone from my DEH-80PRS that I had in my old car when I built a big system in there. Fully active system with Morel Tempo components and a JBL 15” sub in infinite baffle behind the back seats. Good times.
Old 09-02-2018, 03:05 PM   #70
LimitedSlip
Senior Citizen Member

Thanks to everyone in this thread for all the clear and concise information, especially JBezugs and Juzzotec. It's great not to have to reinvent the wheel!

A few more questions if I may.

1. Does the AVH-ZL5150 use the factory overhead microphone for the voice command functions - no need to install a new mic?

2. Does the voice command sound similar and have the same command words as the factory unit?

3. Does the voice command offer control over most of the same options as the factory unit - no loss of any factory functionality?

Thanks again all!
The Following User Says Thank You to LimitedSlip For This Useful Post:
omegared19 (02-22-2022)