follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List
go_a_way1, MisterSheep, Sarlacc

Old 12-19-2015, 03:40 PM   #645
wheelhaus

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2020 KTM Super Duke 1290R
Thanked 1,141 Times in 624 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButeraFRS View Post
Can someone explain to me the purpose of overclocking I just don't get it.
Overclocking, in simple terms, allows you to run your CPU faster. So, you buy a 3GHz processor, but overclock it to 4.5 GHz.

There's three reasons for this...
1- Save money. From the factory, faster processors get really REALLY expensive, so when a solid CPU design comes out that's very tolerant of OC'ing, it gets popular quickly. OC'in isn't inherently expensive, you can get some basic components and still make them run faster.
2- Tinkering/Performance. Many PC guys build their own rigs, and want to poke and prod and customize every little detail. Much like owning any "tuner" car, some owners are just never happy leaving things as-is, and want to reasonably extract as much power as possible from the machine. For gaming, having high resolution and all those really pretty graphics settings turned up nice and high often comes at the cost of drastically reduced framerates. OC'ing can help compensate and buy you extra fps for a smoother eye candy experience.
3- Bragging rights. Much like having "x" horsepower, having a high clock speed is another bragging point. Instead of putting a PC on a dyno, you run one of a few different test programs to see how high its score can get to compare with other OC'ers, or with specific software tests you can see how temps are managed. Some world records are in the 8GHz range.

Ultimately any OC'er wants their gear to run as fast and stable as possible without any significant decrease in component life.
wheelhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wheelhaus For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (12-20-2015)
Old 12-19-2015, 04:43 PM   #646
ButeraFRS

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Sweet that makes sense. I just didn't see why people did it. Come to think of it I should have done the same and saved a couple hundred bucks on the processor. Whatever, maybe next time.
Old 12-19-2015, 05:08 PM   #647
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Sweet that makes sense. I just didn't see why people did it. Come to think of it I should have done the same and saved a couple hundred bucks on the processor. Whatever, maybe next time.

It's the reason why the 4690k is still a go to over skylake and for most gaming PC, the hyperthreading of the i7 4790k isn't really worth it for gaming, and also the 4690k it easily overclock and stays cool like a champ with a good cooler.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 05:14 PM   #648
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanchu1 View Post
Someone has budget lol

Sent from my SGH-M919V using Tapatalk

Summer sales, and reused power supply, hard drive, SSD and 16 GB of RAM from my old rig which had an AMD X4 860k and a GTX 960, sold the mobo and x4 860k, and 960 on ebay and used the money to help pay for a 4690k, MSI 980, z97 mobo, 2 more sticks of 8 GB DDR3 and the water cooler and fans. Only truly paid around $600-$800 on the upgrade.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
fumanchu1 (12-19-2015)
Old 12-19-2015, 05:39 PM   #649
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
It's not such a big deal now that processors really get a lot of work done efficiently. Most gamers today would be satisfied with the stock performance of a bargain retail intel or amd chip. I've had my Phenom II 955 at 3.2Ghz for 5 years now and haven't considered overclocking it because it's really not necessary.

But back in 2001-2007ish it was popular because you could take a lower end processor and get the same performance and speed as the higher end processor for hundreds of dollars less.

For instance I had a 2.4Ghz Pentium 4 Northwood processor that I could run at 3.2Ghz, and the processor only cost $150 retail compared to over $300.

Also don't forget those Athlon XP Thoroughbred-B Barton core processors, they were a hot item for gamers building a budget PC, you could buy the 1333Mhz version and oc it to 1800Mhz with the stock heatsink no problem. I had friends running theirs at 2.3Ghz.

Also OC'ing memory and bus speed was a big deal as well with DDR1. People would buy some pretty high end memory and tweak the settings to run much faster. I remember I could just open up my BIOS and change the value of the BUS speed from 166Mhz to 266Mhz, computer was noticeably faster.

Last edited by radroach; 12-19-2015 at 05:54 PM.
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to radroach For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (12-20-2015)
Old 12-20-2015, 01:32 PM   #650
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,965 Times in 11,387 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
@radroach and @wheelhus pretty much nailed the explanation. Also, as a particular processor becomes stable at higher speeds its not unusual for the manufacturers to test and downgrade 'marginal' chips to keep the lower end of the market alive without having to produce a different chip.

Manufacturers used to also do this with 3.5" floppy drives during the transition from 720K to 1.44M capacity. For years, the only real difference was a square hole in the case. You could buy a punch that would cut a hole in the case, and turn a cheaper 720K diskette in to a 1.44M diskette. I used hundreds of them for non-critical stuff and never had one fail at the higher capacity.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 05:46 PM   #651
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Garage
It's all about the 300a @450 with my dual Voodoo2s in SLI. Beeeatch!
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EAGLE5 For This Useful Post:
swarb (12-23-2015)
Old 12-23-2015, 12:20 AM   #652
ButeraFRS

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
So I changed my power settings from "high performance" to I think balanced? And what a difference. I'm running rainbow six siege on the highest settings under 45 degrees. The main menu is noticeably slower but there is no in game difference.

EDIT: It was changed to Power Saving mode.

Last edited by ButeraFRS; 12-23-2015 at 01:10 AM.
Old 12-23-2015, 01:12 AM   #653
KR-S
Sporadic Member

Drives: 2016 Halo FR-S M/T
Thanked 3,552 Times in 1,746 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Alright, quick question: anyone used the AMD Godavari A10-7870K? How do you like it? I'm considering using it for an HTPC application.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HueyLooie View Post
Nah, homes. It's your dadda's hot goopey goop.
KR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 01:24 AM   #654
EAGLE5
Dismember

Garage
The only AMD system I ever bought was the least reliable and least compatible system I've ever owned. Considering how cheap Intel systems are, there is essentially zero reason to get an AMD system. If you're going for a phone, many other chip makers have great stuff, but for PC? Intel 100%.
The Following User Says Thank You to EAGLE5 For This Useful Post:
Sideways (12-23-2015)
Old 12-23-2015, 01:35 AM   #655
Vladimir Tutin

Drives: '13 Hot-Lava FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KR-S 86 View Post
Alright, quick question: anyone used the AMD Godavari A10-7870K? How do you like it? I'm considering using it for an HTPC application.
It'd be perfectly fine for a HTPC build. Look into a Intel NUC for a HTPC. You'll lose out on power and you'll have to have network storage if you want to store a lot, but you'll gain the incredibly small form factor that can fit almost anywhere.
Vladimir Tutin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 01:39 AM   #656
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
The only AMD system I ever bought was the least reliable and least compatible system I've ever owned. Considering how cheap Intel systems are, there is essentially zero reason to get an AMD system. If you're going for a phone, many other chip makers have great stuff, but for PC? Intel 100%.
4-5 years ago this was not the case. A desirable i5 2500k processor and the motherboard options were way more expensive than a good AMD Phenom II back then.

The lack of competition may cause Intel to slack in its quality of performance. There's evidence of as recent news shows Intel made their recent i7 too thin and they are literally braking under the pressure of aftermarket heatsinks.

AMD has some interesting goals on its future roadmap which may make them competitive once again.

Also from a political standpoint, I don't support Intel as I think they are part of Israeli spy programs and are purposefully building in backdoors for NSA, and coding in hardware DRM, etc.
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to radroach For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (12-23-2015)
Old 12-23-2015, 01:40 AM   #657
KR-S
Sporadic Member

Drives: 2016 Halo FR-S M/T
Thanked 3,552 Times in 1,746 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
I mean, I could do Intel, but that would make for a more expensive build. The A10-7850K and 7870K are APUs, which means that they have both CPU and GPU capability in one chip. Intel chips technically has GPU capability, but they absolutely fail in comparison to the Kaveri and Godavari APUs, which means I'll have to use a graphics card (no problem as I've got a GTX 650 Ti Boost that was in my main rig).

To be honest, I had a 7850K, but it seemed to have failed due to me using too much thermal paste. I still have all the parts for it, but if Intel is really that much better, then I will take it into consideration, though this will be running SteamOS exclusively and nothing else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladimir Tutin View Post
It'd be perfectly fine for a HTPC build. Look into a Intel NUC for a HTPC. You'll lose out on power and you'll have to have network storage if you want to store a lot, but you'll gain the incredibly small form factor that can fit almost anywhere.
Ahh, I should have mentioned that this would also have been used for gaming and would have exclusively run SteamOS, as I mentioned above.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HueyLooie View Post
Nah, homes. It's your dadda's hot goopey goop.
KR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 02:14 AM   #658
EAGLE5
Dismember

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by radroach View Post
4-5 years ago this was not the case. A desirable i5 2500k processor and the motherboard options were way more expensive than a good AMD Phenom II back then.

The lack of competition may cause Intel to slack in its quality of performance. There's evidence of as recent news shows Intel made their recent i7 too thin and they are literally braking under the pressure of aftermarket heatsinks.

AMD has some interesting goals on its future roadmap which may make them competitive once again.

Also from a political standpoint, I don't support Intel as I think they are part of Israeli spy programs and are purposefully building in backdoors for NSA, and coding in hardware DRM, etc.
Paranoid much?

Tags
pc master race, u no have 3080