follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 03-24-2015, 10:37 AM   #43
Canehda
poverty cause racecar

Drives: Subaru BRZ JRSC'd
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Cant wait to be there
Old 03-24-2015, 11:11 AM   #44
Thorpedo
The SquadWhisperer

Drives: '13 Ultramarine FR-S (STX)
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Try perry performance in Laval.

Powered by Great North Performance, Jani-King Canada, and OK Tire.
Thorpedo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thorpedo For This Useful Post:
WatchmaN (03-24-2015)
Old 03-24-2015, 03:04 PM   #45
WatchmaN

Drives: the girls crazy
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
http://www.perryautolaval.com/fr/contact-us/
Vortech SC(314hp/226tq), Perrin pully, Tanabe strut tower bar, Perrin exhaust, LP Tune, hsd coilovers, DTC-60 fr, hp+rear),track rubber RS3 and Continental :-), Forester oem oil cooler,Custom brake cooling kit. Driveway lab rear diffuser, Wasp front spliter, TRD canard/fenders.
WatchmaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 05:06 PM   #46
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,352 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehda View Post
Going to disagree with you on that one. Now if I was total crap and had absolutely no experience then yes I would probably be better starting off with some low grip tires to learn with. However if you are even somewhat competitive then why undercut yourself by going in with something inferior to the norm, especially when you are only talking about a few hundred dollars difference.
He wasn't suggesting to just run any tire, he was talking about comparable tires in the same performance class (ie ZII SS, RS3 V2, Rival, AD08R, etc). He was also just suggesting to be honest about where the money is best spent. If $400 more tire gets you 2 tenths faster on average, but you're still half a second off the pace there's probably a better place to spend the money.

Until you're a fast enough driver to have completely maximized every 100th of a second out of a set of tires, and are very consistent, it's very hard to quantitatively measure how one set of tires compares to another.

Also, unless you're out after FTD, you might enjoy a tire that isn't the absolute fastest, but feels better. I'd much rather have another set of ZII's over the RS3's I currently have, just based on sidewall stiffness, turn in and overall feel. ZII's are louder, and more expensive but I prefer the feel over the RS3's. That's not to say RS3's don't give feedback, just not as much.

Another thing to consider is how the tire works against your driving style. Some tires are faster with more slip angle, others need to be driven much cleaner to be fast. If you're not comfortable with lots of sliding and squirming, you'll never get the most out of some tires (Rivals have a reputation for that). On the flip side, if you prefer being really loose, you'll be slower on some tires that are faster with less slip angle.

Then there's the budget and how it fits in. Are you willing to spend ~50% more for a tenth or two or different feel? When I bought my RS3's they were $810 taxes in, ZII SS' were $1150 taxes in (same store, same size).

Don't take any of this as an insult, I have no idea how consistent or fast you are... for all I know you're significantly faster than I am
The Following User Says Thank You to wparsons For This Useful Post:
normancw (03-26-2015)
Old 03-24-2015, 08:03 PM   #47
Canehda
poverty cause racecar

Drives: Subaru BRZ JRSC'd
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
The thread started out as looking for rs3 tires. Rs3 out of stock so people gave suggestions of tires that will comply with the autox regs. Fantastic. Once other issues came up about which tire choice was ideal 7thgear sent me a link which has everything I could possibly want. I never stated that I want the very best tire to get the last tenths, I just want a fun sporty tire as an upgrade from the re760 tires I tracked last year. All I want to do is go to a PITL event and have fun comparing my times against my friends that are classed with me. And I'm sure you guys are more experienced and faster than me so im not really trying to correct anyone here!
1Cor10:23 (03-24-2015), Thorpedo (03-24-2015)
Old 03-26-2015, 02:46 AM   #48
ecdragon

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2014 Monogram FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
He wasn't suggesting to just run any tire, he was talking about comparable tires in the same performance class (ie ZII SS, RS3 V2, Rival, AD08R, etc). He was also just suggesting to be honest about where the money is best spent. If $400 more tire gets you 2 tenths faster on average, but you're still half a second off the pace there's probably a better place to spend the money.

Until you're a fast enough driver to have completely maximized every 100th of a second out of a set of tires, and are very consistent, it's very hard to quantitatively measure how one set of tires compares to another.

Also, unless you're out after FTD, you might enjoy a tire that isn't the absolute fastest, but feels better. I'd much rather have another set of ZII's over the RS3's I currently have, just based on sidewall stiffness, turn in and overall feel. ZII's are louder, and more expensive but I prefer the feel over the RS3's. That's not to say RS3's don't give feedback, just not as much.

Another thing to consider is how the tire works against your driving style. Some tires are faster with more slip angle, others need to be driven much cleaner to be fast. If you're not comfortable with lots of sliding and squirming, you'll never get the most out of some tires (Rivals have a reputation for that). On the flip side, if you prefer being really loose, you'll be slower on some tires that are faster with less slip angle.

Then there's the budget and how it fits in. Are you willing to spend ~50% more for a tenth or two or different feel? When I bought my RS3's they were $810 taxes in, ZII SS' were $1150 taxes in (same store, same size).

Don't take any of this as an insult, I have no idea how consistent or fast you are... for all I know you're significantly faster than I am

sir, what store is this so i can call them?
thanks,
ecdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 07:23 AM   #49
wparsons

Garage
I picked up my RS3's at tires23. Pricing will most definitely be higher now that the Canadian dollar has tanked though
Old 03-27-2015, 10:41 AM   #50
drewbot
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Drives: '13 Whiteout FR-S A/T
Thanked 1,452 Times in 752 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
I picked up my RS3's at tires23. Pricing will most definitely be higher now that the Canadian dollar has tanked though
Yeah, it HAS ALOT

Also, if anyone is interested in 225/45/17 RE71R, there is no allocation in Canada until May-ish (from what I've been told)
drewbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 09:36 PM   #51
wparsons

Garage
No more tires for me, running out of places to put them (picked up my AD08R's today)
The Following User Says Thank You to wparsons For This Useful Post:
pushrod (03-27-2015)